Maybe l'm out of line but

dscola

Baseball fans love numbers. They love to swirl them around in their mouths like Boudreaux wine. Most statistics are modest, unassuming, and without presumption. Other statistics have more body, and by their richness and bite, provide a more substantial addition to the satisfaction and mystery surrounding the game

- Pat Conroy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Nick as #1 play of the day this morning on SC.

I am REALLY ok with Nick's play in right field. Metrics be damned. Is he a stud? No. But is makes enough plays, his arm is super accurate and very strong, and he rarely hurts the team by making an error. i will take that any day.

I also love stats, and it's one of my favorite things about the game. We need both IMO.

Nick is probably not worth 17 Million a year. But Im pretty happy he is in RF for the Orioles right now and would take him back at 8-10 a year. We could most certainly do much worse and at that price surely do better. But he certainly has value to the O's currently and likely beyond.

Let us not forget that baseball is a game that cannot be measured totally by numbers. There is a difference between having a head full of numbers(stats), and having a head full of knowledge. What we are talking about here is to translate all those stats to knowledge of the game of baseball. Much of that comes with observing the game for many years, and some comes by thinking, comparing, analyzing, without being a captive to only the stats. Without Hardy and Nick this would be a ship without a rudder. That will be proven if and when they leave. Go Orioles, let us win the W.S. several times.

Let us not forget that baseball is a game that cannot be measured totally by numbers. There is a difference between having a head full of numbers(stats), and having a head full of knowledge. What we are talking about here is to translate all those stats to knowledge of the game of baseball. Much of that comes with observing the game for many years, and some comes by thinking, comparing, analyzing, without being a captive to only the stats. Without Hardy and Nick this would be a ship without a rudder. That will be proven if and when they leave. Go Orioles, let us win the W.S. several times.

So you don't think Jones has his hand on the rudder?

Interesting.

Why would you think that?

I'd rather a ball drop in front of him for a single, than go over his head for extra bases.

I was responding to the OP saying " all I ever see is him making play after play.". I think we can agree that Nick does not make every play and that the play he most often doesn't make is on the balls in front of him. (I say without looking up the stats)

It seems to me that the inhabitants of this board are slaves to numbers. I agree, that numbers are very useful but not in every instance.

Speaking as a lurker and occasional poster, it seems that it's difficult for some of you to just "enjoy the ride."

Case in point: Some of you spend all day talking about how some statistic states that Markakis is slow and is below average defensively yet, all I ever see is him making play after play. All I see are posts about what fangraphs and war says.

I may not be making a lot of sense to some but my point is, just enjoy the trip.

Can you prove that statisticstically - or pronounce that. Personally I like a balance between the numbers and people actually watching - and I tune out threads where people are just talking advanced stats. But to each his own.

Archived