Maybe l'm out of line but

dscola

I enjoy stats, but when I'm at a game and I'm staring at the scoreboard trying to figure out Kakes OPS in my head based on his OBP and SLG instead of watching, you know, the friggin game, that's when I start to get aggravated with myself.

I enjoy the game, and I know there are stats that say Nick is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I see a leader batting almost .300 who seems to always be in the center of our rallies, and I say "stats be damned, Nick is a damn fine ballplayer."

Take Davis. His OPS is a rather respectable .700ish, but you can't tell me this guy is having a good season.

I'd rather the stats be used to further my enjoyment of the game, rather than have stats tell me who is good and who isn't.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I enjoy stats, but when I'm at a game and I'm staring at the scoreboard trying to figure out Kakes OPS in my head based on his OBP and SLG instead of watching, you know, the friggin game, that's when I start to get aggravated with myself.

I enjoy the game, and I know there are stats that say Nick is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I see a leader batting almost .300 who seems to always be in the center of our rallies, and I say "stats be damned, Nick is a damn fine ballplayer."

Take Davis. His OPS is a rather respectable .700ish, but you can't tell me this guy is having a good season.

I'd rather the stats be used to further my enjoyment of the game, rather than have stats tell me who is good and who isn't.

It's .694, and that is definitely not "rather respectable" for a major league first baseman. The average OPS is .760 and the average wRC+ is 112. Davis is at 90.

It seems to me that the inhabitants of this board are slaves to numbers. I agree, that numbers are very useful but not in every instance.

Speaking as a lurker and occasional poster, it seems that it's difficult for some of you to just "enjoy the ride."

Case in point: Some of you spend all day talking about how some statistic states that Markakis is slow and is below average defensively yet, all I ever see is him making play after play. All I see are posts about what fangraphs and war says.

I may not be making a lot of sense to some but my point is, just enjoy the trip.

I agree with you and have made this point before. I think part of it is that some people want to quantify everything with numbers. Part of it is that some use numbers and stats because they never played the game. That's fine if someone wants to do that but there are numerous things about the game that never make the stat sheet. And for some, like me, it does take away some of the enjoyment.

I haven't seen anything drop in front of him that Jones would have caught. I think some of you are really exaggerating how slow he is.

They said Marcus Allen and Jerry Rice were too slow also.

We all "see" what we want I guess. Thankfully we have sabremetrics to sort it all out for us.

I'm definitely with Dipper on this. I prefer having stats "augment" rather than "dictate" my enjoyment of the game.

One good stat is RBI that either tie the game or put your team ahead. That is a pretty good measure of clutch for a run producer.

The old GWRBI. Deemed so worthless that it was completely done away with.

You could even take that a step further and measure it from the 6th inning on. But maybe you are a guy that seems to come up with a big walk or hit that puts you on base late in a tight game. I am sure there are stats that track that as well.

Baseball Reference publishes clutch and high leverage statistics in great detail. As discussed many times on here, while they may vary from season to season, they tend to regress to the hitters normal performance trends over the long term.

The old GWRBI. Deemed so worthless that it was completely done away with.

Baseball Reference publishes clutch and high leverage statistics in great detail. As discussed many times on here, while they may vary from season to season, they tend to regress to the hitters normal performance trends over the long term.

I've never understood the supposed value of clutchness. If player X can focus when the game it on the line and produce why can't he focus like that up 2-1 with no one on in the top of the third?

I'm definitely with Dipper on this. I prefer having stats "augment" rather than "dictate" my enjoyment of the game.

And when I have the audacity to call an RBI important, I don't want to have to bother with the stat guys with the superiority complexes who say something like "I'm quite sure you do."

I've never understood the supposed value of clutchness. If player X can focus when the game it on the line and produce why can't he focus like that up 2-1 with no one on in the top of the third?

Because there's no such thing as being clutch.

He wasn't fully healthy last year.

He will be on the other side of 30 with his next contract. How much health can we count on if he signs an extension? If 0.0 WAR is what we can expect when he's dealing with some minor issues that aren't enough to keep him out of the lineup, then why should we give him $10-14M/year?

I don't think telling people to go watch soccer is funny or awesome. Tell me what your numbers say for Mark Lemke in the playoffs. Tell me what the numbers have the Orioles finishing at the past three seasons. How about the Athletics or Rangers. What did the numbers tell you about Boston this year? Funny thing about numbers is they are just part of the story the people that live by them are wrong on occasion and people that live by the eye test are wrong on occasion. Guess what that is why they play the game.

Archived