Maybe l'm out of line but

dscola

I don't think telling people to go watch soccer is funny or awesome. Tell me what your numbers say for Mark Lemke in the playoffs. Tell me what the numbers have the Orioles finishing at the past three seasons. How about the Athletics or Rangers. What did the numbers tell you about Boston this year? Funny thing about numbers is they are just part of the story the people that live by them are wrong on occasion and people that live by the eye test are wrong on occasion. Guess what that is why they play the game.

For what it's worth, Drungo is a huge soccer fan; so it's safe to say he didn't perceive his comment as trying to be funny or awesome. It was a self-observation of the differences between his own fandom of soccer and of baseball.

I kind of agree with Drungo's post because I think I get what he's trying to say, though I doubt this came across well to some of those to whom he was saying it:

The numbers do nothing. They're just information. What's taken away from your enjoyment of the game is your inability to process information in some way that doesn't interfere with your enjoyment.

Maybe all the folks who can't watch baseball without being overwhelmed by a flood of numbers should follow a sport that isn't so readily quantized and analyzed. Soccer fits that bill quite well. Most of my enjoyment of soccer is at a much more subjective level, following the game mostly to witness moments of great athleticism and joy.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you just happen to be making popcorn every time a ball drops in front of Nick?

There is a problem with the old eye test, it's biased.

For the record, some of us derive enjoyment from not only the game, but the numbers behind the game.

First off, what do you have against popcorn?

Secondly, my eyes tell me I have two beautiful daughters. Anyone who says otherwise incurs my wrath. No bias at all, just the way it is.

Finally, as long as there are no tests I can deal with the numbers, but they are a necessary evil unless it's to remember that Hank Aaron is the real HR king. At least that's what my Oriole first baseman and sometimes moral authority tells me.

No bias.

First off, what do you have against popcorn?

Secondly, my eyes tell me I have two beautiful daughters. Anyone who says otherwise incurs my wrath. No bias at all, just the way it is.

Finally, as long as there are no tests I can deal with the numbers, but they are a necessary evil unless it's to remember that Hank Aaron is the real HR king. At least that's what my Oriole first baseman and sometimes moral authority tells me.

No bias.

Can't stand the smell of it. It is really bad with the artificial butter.

One of the quickest ways to get me out of a room is to microwave some popcorn with the fake butter.

I understand statistics just fine. I just don't think they're the end all be all. If I say Markakis made a great catch, what's the point of sabremetrics guy with a condescending attitude telling me, "well his fwar says otherwise." or, "still doesn't mean he's anything but below average."

I know stats have their place, believe me I do. But they aren't gospel.

I didn't mean to sound condescending... and maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're trying to convey. But again, statistics are just a measure of what has gone before. If Markakis' fielding statistics say that he failed to get to a ball in a given zone 20 times... it does't mean that he won't get to it on the 21's try. It simply means it's unlikely. I think it's awesome when players make the kind of plays that you don't expect them to. Statistics (past measurements) don't predict future performance in every case... they simply inform us about the probability of general future performance.

Your AS catcher is out since May.

Your AS third missed the first month and then some more games later on.

Your AS first isn't hitting above the mendoza line.

Your prized SP acquisition isn't paying off.

Your closer bombed and was replaced by somebody barely on the roster last season.

Your AS Shortstop is batting well, but not hitting home runs for some unknown reason.

So tell me, the numbers really explain this? :)

Look at our starting pitching numbers this year compared to last. Even with the below average performance of Jimenez everyone else has performed better.

I didn't mean to sound condescending... and maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're trying to convey. But again, statistics are just a measure of what has gone before. If Markakis' fielding statistics say that he failed to get to a ball in a given zone 20 times... it does't mean that he won't get to it on the 21's try. It simply means it's unlikely. I think it's awesome when players make the kind of plays that you don't expect them to. Statistics (past measurements) don't predict future performance in every case... they simply inform us about the probability of general future performance.
I am always amused that in a game that is so unpredictable, where so much depends on the butterflies wings, people are so obsessed with trying to predict it's outcomes. Wasn't it just about a slam dunk that Sale was going to shut us down? Isn't it a forgone conclusion that DET and OAK after their deadline acquisitions are slam dunk ALCS opponents?

For what it's worth, Drungo is a huge soccer fan; so it's safe to say he didn't perceive his comment as trying to be funny or awesome. It was a self-observation of the differences between his own fandom of soccer and of baseball.

I kind of agree with Drungo's post because I think I get what he's trying to say, though I doubt this came across well to some of those to whom he was saying it:

It is what it is but when you tell someone to go do something different because they don't agree with you well do I have to say it?

Can't stand the smell of it. It is really bad with the artificial butter.

One of the quickest ways to get me out of a room is to microwave some popcorn with the fake butter.

Well, that's your problem! Real butter, pal. Seal the deal! Or maybe you are a caramel corn kinda guy. Sweet sugary goodness.

My oldest daughter has a sweet tooth. ;)

The numbers don't lie but the people using them can often be quite nefarious, or at least annoying. I must say I can't enjoy baseball when I am being inundated with numbers being monotonously reeled off by the likes of Jim Hunter.

I always felt better when I knew one of our hitters was on a modest two game hitting streak.

Well, that's your problem! Real butter, pal. Seal the deal! Or maybe you are a caramel corn kinda guy. Sweet sugary goodness.

My oldest daughter has a sweet tooth. ;)

I don't like the smell of popping popcorn. The artificial butter exacerbates the situation.

Normal corn in an air popper is still unpleasant.

As for eating the product, Kettle is OK I guess but nothing to get excited about. Caramel is a bit much.

Archived