Ubaldo moves to the bullpen

xian4

And Matusz continues to be bulletproof for some reason. McFarland would be my next choice, though. Don't see why Phelps would get sent down as long as Manny's out of commission.

I don't like the idea of (essentially) playing with a shorthanded bullpen, but I suppose this has to be an improvement.

I don't know what his contract situation is or if he's got trade value, but I'd almost be ready to move on from Matusz after this season. Particularly, with Miller in the fold.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course they do. But Brach has been outstanding out of the pen. Take Monday for example. You want to give MOB a break? Have Brach shut it down for two innings. It's not like another guy who can get one or two outs and then needs to be bailed out by his teammates.

Well my point is I don't worry about it. For me I don't worry about things I can't

change. Whoever gets sent down gets sent down. Sorry

I don't know what his contract situation is or if he's got trade value, but I'd almost be ready to move on from Matusz after this season. Particularly, with Miller in the fold.

Miller is a FA after this season. No guarantee he is back in '15.

But Matusz.........yeah. Frustrating.

Brian Matusz.

TJ might also not be on the playoff roster. Typically there is no need for a long man in the playoffs.

Especially, if the manager shortens his 5 man SP crew to 4 man for the playoffs, in order to get to this top 2 guys again. The 5th starter becomes the long man.

I would rather have Webb in the pen than Matusz unless were are facing David Ortiz.

I honestly feel bad for Ubaldo because every single person just talks about how nice of a guy he is. But when you are a team in a pennant race, and you are 1-2 games back from having the best record in the entire league, contracts or being nice doesn't matter. I respect Buck and Dan a little more today for understanding that and doing what they think is best for the team.

If you worked along side someone who was a nice guy but not pulling their weight like everyone else, you would feel sorry for them if they were demoted? I sure as heck wouldn't. It used to just annoy the crap out of me when I would read posters on the Sun forum defending the crappy play of Kyle Boller because he was such a "nice guy."

Stop it really. We get it, you think he's a fraud. By definition of the word fraud, you are using it wrong. He didn't defraud the team at all, he is what he is, what exactly did he do that was fraudulent? Also, it's in the rules that you don't insult the players, Ufraudo isn't only an inappropriate "nickname", its not even clever.

I personally like "Ubado" much better. It is clever as it can be passsed off as a mis-spell.:laughlol:

I gotta give the O's some credit here. I don't think most teams would demote him - knowing how much is owed to him for the rest of his contract. I'm assuming Duq gav his approval.

It'll be interesting to see how Uby reacts to being put into a blowout game. If he walks the first 2 batters, how soon does he get "yanked"?

I gotta give the O's some credit here. I don't think most teams would demote him - knowing how much is owed to him for the rest of his contract. I'm assuming Duq gav his approval.

It'll be interesting to see how Uby reacts to being put into a blowout game. If he walks the first 2 batters, how soon does he get "yanked"?

It sure refutes the sediment in OH last year that Buck wasn't correct in saying he was starting the best person he felt he could for 2nd and that it was being driven by $$$$$$$.

Look, how far back you had to go? :)

The Birds had 4 good starters then,

Also then, it wasn't unusual for a manager to go with his best 2 or 3 guys, and hence, the dropped starter was the long man in the pen.

Actually,the only had three. McNally, Palmer and Bunker.

Actually,the only had three. McNally, Palmer and Bunker.

The ace of the staff was Steve Barber. He was an all-star that year, but developed tendonitis in the 2nd half of the season and was on the shelf for the Series. The Dodgers were heavy favorites, due in large part to their great pitching, but it was the Orioles pitching staff that turned in the most phenomenal pitching performance in World Series history. The Dodgers never scored a run in that Series after the third inning of the first game. Incredible.

YeY

The ace of the staff was Steve Barber. He was an all-star that year, but developed tendonitis in the 2nd half of the season and was on the shelf for the Series. The Dodgers were heavy favorites, due in large part to their great pitching, but it was the Orioles pitching staff that turned in the most phenomenal pitching performance in World Series history. The Dodgers never scored a run in that Series after the third inning of the first game. Incredible.

Yep. You are spot on. I had forgotten about Barber, although I should have. He was the first Oriole pitcher I saw when I attend my first game as a youngster in 1963. I believe he was a 20 game winner that year and the first Orioles pitcher to accomplish that feat.

YeY

Yep. You are spot on. I had forgotten about Barber, although I should have. He was the first Oriole pitcher I saw when I attend my first game as a youngster in 1963. I believe he was a 20 game winner that year and the first Orioles pitcher to accomplish that feat.

The first Oriole to win 20 games was Bob Emslie, who went 32-17 for the 1884 American Association (then a major league) Orioles. In 1901 Iron Man McGinnity won 26 games for the first American League Orioles, the team that dissolved to make way for the Yankees. Many International League Orioles won 20+ games, including Lefty Grove who won 20+ three times in the early 1920s. Chuck Estrada came close in 1960, when he went 18-11 in only 25 starts plus eleven relief appearances. Barber was the first player to win 20 in the post-Browns era in 1963.

Archived