Three 10-game winners

TakebackOPACY

With Tillman's win tonight, the O's have three 10-game winners (Chen, Norris, Tillman)for the first time since 2005 [Rodrigo Lopez (15-12), Bruce Chen (13-10), Daniel Cabrera (10-13)].

Lopez-Chen-Cabrera just does not have the same ring to it as Palmer-McNally-Cuellar-Dobson.

• 2 weeks later...

o

If Miguel Gonzalez and Kevin Gausman can each win 3 or more game by season's end, the Orioles will have had five 10-game winners.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014.shtml

That hasn't happened since 1997, which was the last time that the Orioles won the A.L. East:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1997.shtml

In that 1997 campaign, Mike Mussina, Scott Erickson, Jimmy Key, and Scott Kamieniecki were all double digit winners from the Orioles' starting rotation, while Arthur Lee Rhodes went 10-3 out of the Birdie bullpen.

o

playbaltimorecom said:

I don't think Gausman is getting close to 10 this season. Gonzo might. Gonzo is a baller.

Great to see 3 10-game winners. The 10-game winner of today is the 20-game winner of years ago. :)

o

I think that it's more like the 15, 16, 17-game winner of today is the equivalent of the 20-game winner of years/decades ago.

o

Strictly from a ratio point-of-view, 20 wins for a healthy pitcher in a 4-man rotation = 16 wins for a healthy pitcher in a 5-man rotation (almost exactly). Of course we also went through an era where teams would often go with a 5-man rotation for a good chunk of the season and then switch to a 4-man rotation if in a pennant race.

Strictly from a ratio point-of-view, 20 wins for a healthy pitcher in a 4-man rotation = 16 wins for a healthy pitcher in a 5-man rotation (almost exactly). Of course we also went through an era where teams would often go with a 5-man rotation for a good chunk of the season and then switch to a 4-man rotation if in a pennant race.

Most teams lack for a quality fifth SP.

I don't think Gausman is getting close to 10 this season. Gonzo might. Gonzo is a baller.

Great to see 3 10-game winners. The 10 game winner is 20-game winner of years ago:)

Gauze has 7 now, and might possibly make 5 more starts. Not saying that I predict he will, but it certainly isn't insane to believe that he might get a W in 3 of those 5.

I think that it's more like the 15, 16, 17-game winner of today is the equivalent of the 20-game winner of years/decades ago.

I'll go with 16, on the assumption that in a five man rotation a pitcher makes 80% of the starts he would have made in a four-man rotation, so 80% of 20 wins is 16. Chen (14 wins) has a good chance to reach that mark, and it's possible but not likely for Norris (12) and Tillman (11), who should each get 5 more starts.

It's possible that Gonzalez and/or Gausman, each of whom has 7 wins now, could reach double digit wins before the year ends. You'd have to go back to 1997 to find the last time we had four ten-game winners in our rotation (and for good measure, Arthur Rhodes won 10 games in relief that year).

Gauze has 7 now, and might possibly make 5 more starts. Not saying that I predict he will, but it certainly isn't insane to believe that he might get a W in 3 of those 5.

Just haven't been impressed with his last 5 outings are so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was back when they didn't count pitches and you could start more games and go deeper. You know. Back before everyone got so smart like today.

Would be interesting to see a modern team have its starters throw at 75% effort most of the game in an attempt to throw 300 innings a year. My guess is they'd have an ERA north of 7.00, but who knows... maybe everything we thought was progress really was insanity.

I'll go with 16, on the assumption that in a five man rotation a pitcher makes 80% of the starts he would have made in a four-man rotation, so 80% of 20 wins is 16. Chen (14 wins) has a good chance to reach that mark, and it's possible but not likely for Norris (12) and Tillman (11), who should each get 5 more starts.

Yeah but because modern starters don't pitch as deep into the game as they did in the 4-man rotation era, they earn fewer decisions. So I consider 15 to be the new 20.

Archived