If we were fortunate enough to make the World Series, how would you feel about playing the Nats?

Frobby

I'm a born and raised Northern Virginian, but couldn't root for the Montreal Expos when they came to DC (nor would I ever have given up on the O's, too much history with them), but I follow them and selfishly thought it was fine to have a national league team close-by. I harbored no ill-will towards them or their fans until this season, when suddenly the "F-the O's and their POS owner" contingent became particularly vocal. I couldn't stand for that. No one gets to hate Peter Angelos more than we do!

You tell 'em! We paid our dues. Who are they the criticize our owner. That's our right, not theirs. F the Nats.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly I don't have a problem with Nats fans who were alive when the Senators were around in their two incarnations. My cousin who gave me crap for still being an O's fan is one of those types and I had to be like "Listen, you had baseball in D.C when you were growing up in the 60's, there was no way in hell that I was going to switch allegiances when I was 18(the year the Nats moved here). I also get the younger fans like those my thirteen year old brother's age who have grown up with baseball in D.C. On the other hand, I am a little less sympathetic to the people who bailed on the O's the minute the Nats moved here and started treating the O's like the enemy- And I have to say while I had a problem with Angelos' opposition to baseball in D.C, I was and still am greatly annoyed with how they ignored that Jack Kent Cooke fought football in Baltimore (and this coming from someone who is a fan of neither the Ravens or Redskins) or that Clark Griffith fought baseball being moved ot Baltimore in the 50's. I think for me though part of what makes me dislike the Nats are their players somewhat. I don't know. I appreciate Harper's talent but I don't like the guy. I especially don't like their announcers. Carpenter and Santangelo are like an east coast version of Hawk Harrelson without Hawk's ability to make up clever nicknames.

Maybe they told the back story and I missed it, but what was up with Harper yelling at the Giants pitcher after his HR? Seems like there has to be some kind of history there but I didn't even notice the broadcast guys mentioning it at all.

The Giants pitcher gave Harper a little stare after he hit the HR as he stood at home watching. Not sure if he said anything or just stared but Harper didn't like it. In Harper's defense, he didn't wait to long to start running. Just making sure it was fair. Harper was barking at the pitcher when he got back to the dugout as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Giants pitcher gave Harper a little stare after he hit the HR as he stood at home watching. Not sure if he said anything or just stared but Harper didn't like it. In Harper's defense, he didn't wait to long to start running. Just making sure it was fair. Harper was barking at the pitcher when he got back to the dugout as well.

Yeah, I saw him yelling from the dugout. And it seemed like Fox had to mute out some expletives too.

Didn't notice the pitcher staring at Harper, but I agree, Harper did nothing wrong as far as watching the ball. Pitchers need to stop being Sensitive Sallys about that. But if that's all it was, Harper's response really was poor.

IMO, I think there are more Oriole fans that harbor hatred and ire feelings towards the Nationals, then there are National fans about the Orioles.

Until this season, I'd have agreed with you, but all of a sudden they've come out in droves. I've listened time and time again about how Angelos and MASN are the reason the Nats can't up their payroll, etc.

Until this season, I'd have agreed with you, but all of a sudden they've come out in droves. I've listened time and time again about how Angelos and MASN are the reason the Nats can't up their payroll, etc.

Definitely pleased to see the Nats out of this, especially as an O's fan that lives in DC (but from Maryland). The O's are in direct competition with the Nationals for fans, revenue, etc. A beltways series may have created a fun, local World Series, but ultimately the Nationals getting there would've bolstered a franchise that is still trying to uproot Orioles' loyalties in the DMV. Not saying that diehards on either side (to the extent there are on the Nationals side) are candidates to switch over, but there are plenty of ambivalent or non-committal baseball fans that could be had.

Bottom line: the Nationals losing is good for the Orioles in almost every single case.

Yeah, I saw him yelling from the dugout. And it seemed like Fox had to mute out some expletives too.

Didn't notice the pitcher staring at Harper, but I agree, Harper did nothing wrong as far as watching the ball. Pitchers need to stop being Sensitive Sallys about that. But if that's all it was, Harper's response really was poor.

I didn't see the stare as well but it was talked about during the post game. I just figured Harper was at fault. All cameras were on Harper at that moment, not on the pitcher who had given up 2 homers to Harper that series.

It's seems like he's been around so much it's hard to remember he's only 21. If he comes off as a douche occasionally I can forgive that because of his age and I'm sure he'll be an upstanding ball player in a few years.

Yeah he definitely needs to grow up and stop doing childish things. At his age, playing in the majors, you have to be a little cocky or arrogant to succeed. My only issue is his actions, to me, are more childish and douche-y than they are cocky or arrogant. I guess they all are bad and that's why I don't like Harper anyway.

When the postseason began, the Nationals were one of the teams I wanted no part of. Balanced offense, good starting pitching, good bullpen. So just in terms of a practical standpoint I wanted no part of it.

Living in NoVa though, I really wanted the Nats to exist before we did. I didn't want them going to the NLCS or World Series and us lose in the first round and have Nats fans lord it over us all winter.

Archived