Mike Wright has a no-hitter through eight innings at Durham

Greg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't see the reason in calling him up, as he would most likely get very little game action. He would be behind the current 12 (with Gonzo), whoever goes for Gonzo, Guillmet, and perhaps Saunders. That puts him 16th on the depth chart so no reason to even call him up if that is the case.

Yeah but if we get up late in September I would not mind seeing how he does and resting some of the guys late.

o

No hitter for 8.67 innings !!!

11 Strikeouts.

3 Walks.

Julio Borbon made an outstanding catch in centerfield in the bottom of the 7th inning to keep Wright's no-hit bid alive.

Christian Walker made an outstanding leaping catch at 1st base in the bottom of the 8th, which also kept Wright's no-hit bid alive.

Alexi Casilla made a throwing error with 2 outs in the 9th inning which would have potentially completed Wright's no-hitter. The very next batter hit a double, breaking up Wright's no-hit bid, and the shutout (both runs that scored were unearned.)

Before that 2-out double in the bottom of the 9th inning, Wright had given up a grand total of ONE extra base hits in his last 4 outings (28.67 innings) ...... a double, 3 starts ago against AAA-Buffalo.

26 OUTS: 11 Strikeouts, 8 Flyouts, 4 Groundouts, 3 Lineouts

MIKE WRIGHT O (vs. AAA-Durham, 8/21)

IP:. 8.67

H:o 1 (1 Double)

R:O 2

ER:o0

BB: 3

SO: 11

Pitches: 121 (78 Strikes, 43 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.83 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

61 (41 Strikes, 2 Balls)

11 (61 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

10 (81 Strikes, 2 Balls)

24 (15 Strikes, 9 Balls) *

* Wright recorded 2 outs before departing in the 9th inning.

Mike Wright lost his no hit bid with two outs in the bottom of the 9th. Alexi Casilla made an error and then Mikie Mahtook hit a double for the Bulls first hit of the night. Wright had to be getting tired. He finished with 11 strike outs,3 walks, and 121 pitches.

Wouldn't be hard to add him to the 40 man roster, especially since he needs to be added this winter to protect him from the Rule 5 draft anyway.

I said anything is possible.

But like yourself, I'd be surprised if they did add him though, considering his circumstances.

This is Wright's first season at the AAA-level, and he was ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS for the majority of this season. Only recently (his last 6 starts) did he has start to pitch well, consistently. His E.R.A. had ballooned to well over 6 for almost 2 months, and he just barely got it under 5 just now, with the aforementioned 6 most recent starts.

In fact, considering that the AAA-Tides have virtually no chance to make the postseason (they are 7 games behind the division leader with only 13 games left to play, and have already been eliminated from the wildcard), I wouldn't be surprised if they shut him down right now ......... after a nightmare of a season, Wright just completed 6 consecutive solid starts, punctuated by his 121 pitch, 8.67 no-hit inning effort. I'm sure that he's plenty happy, he's regained at least a moderate amount of confidence after his disastrous first 3 and-a-half months of the season, and tonight was the pinnacle.

The guy should win comeback player of the year just for the second half he's had.

Yep! Man he was bad but hats off to the O's for sticking with him. Having said that, he was a large contributor for Norfolk's bad record this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got home from the game. That was really exciting. We were sitting right behind Mahtook's parents. They were really happy he rapped that double off the wall to bust up the no no. Wright left it waist high. Had a feeling it was coming. Still really fun to watch.

Just got home from the game. That was really exciting. We were sitting right behind Mahtook's parents. They were really happy he rapped that double off the wall to bust up the no-no. Wright left it waist-high. Had a feeling it was coming. Still, really fun to watch.

You were at the game ???

I wasn't at the game.

You bastard.

Don't see the reason in calling him up, as he would most likely get very little game action. He would be behind the current 12 (with Gonzo), whoever goes for Gonzo, Guillmet, and perhaps Saunders. That puts him 16th on the depth chart so no reason to even call him up if that is the case.

I'm very fuzzy on the September call up rules. Would we have to sacrifice anything, whether it be his service clock, DFA'ing someone else, etc. to bring him up in September?

Anything is possible, but he's not on the 40-man roster:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=bal

Wouldn't be hard to add him to the 40 man roster, especially since he needs to be added this winter to protect him from the Rule 5 draft anyway.
I said anything is possible.

But like yourself, I'd be surprised if they did add him though, considering his circumstances.

This is Wright's first season at the AAA-level, and he was ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS for the majority of this season. Only recently (his last 6 starts) did he has start to pitch well, consistently. His E.R.A. had ballooned to well over 6 for almost 2 months, and he just barely got it under 5 just now, with the aforementioned 6 most recent starts.

In fact, considering that the AAA-Tides have virtually no chance to make the postseason (they are 7 games behind the division leader with only 13 games left to play, and have already been eliminated from the wildcard), I wouldn't be surprised if they shut him down right now ......... after a nightmare of a season, Wright just completed 6 consecutive solid starts, punctuated by his 121 pitch, 8.67 no-hit inning effort. I'm sure that he's plenty happy, he's regained at least a moderate amount of confidence after his disastrous first 3 and-a-half months of the season, and tonight was the pinnacle.

I'm very fuzzy on the September call up rules. Would we have to sacrifice anything, whether it be his service clock, DFA'ing someone else, etc. to bring him up in September?

Well, if I had just gone one page more, I would have seen these very helpful comments.

He just made the top 5 on MLB network!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that. Good for him!

Speaking of MLB Network, I had no idea that Tony Tarasco was a first base coach for the Nats. I'm sure it has been discussed around here. It would be interested if he were involved in a game on Jeter's farewell tour this season.

To add on to what you read, someone would have to be DFAed (Meek, Steve Johnson, Yoon) or someone to the 60 Day DL (Machado if he is done, Tim Berry called up and placed on the DL) to make room in September. If they wait until November, they still might have to DFA someone, but they also have roster space from free agents (Miller, Hundley, Hardy, Young, Cruz).

As far as service time, I am not 100% sure on how it works but Wright isn't someone you fret over.

Archived