Predict Jake Arrieta's line today

CanadianOriole

We can be annoyed if he is suddenly a great starter but I don't see how we could possibly have regrets. We gave him every chance. He was 27 and had made 63 replacement level starts over 4 years and pitched poorly in the minors in the last 2 years. If he is suddenly a perennial All-Star you have to just chalk that up as an act of God.

I hear you but there is a reason you don't give up on really good arms. He wasn't horribly wild. Given we only got Feldman for a few months, this may have been a bit of a mistake. I would never tear DD a new on for it. Moreover, I suspect Buck didn't like Jake's attitude. However, it would be awfully nice to have a guy like this who won't be a free agent until 2018.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who picked perfect game?

We still have 6 innings unless the Cubs grounds crew has more shenanigans up their sleeve. As an aside, I would love to know the ERA for the rest of the game of starters who are perfect through the first three innings. Seems like it is fairly common for pitchers to be perfect once through the order and then get shellacked. I would assume their ERA would be lower than normal (because they presumably have above average stuff to be perfect through three), but I wonder how much lower.

He is definitely the better pitcher on the field today. It's a shame he's not wearing orange and black. Sickening to think the talent was there the whole time and the O's coaching staff was unable to harness it. I don't think there is another reasonable explanation.

I regret that he was terrible in Baltimore but how can you possibly believe that he would have turned things around while with the Orioles?

There were reasons. A lot of us were continually poo-pooed when we pointed out that such a massive split between ERA and FIP was bound to change (and go in the positive direction, in this case). Terribly SSS, but ironically his FIP in his 5 starts with us last season was better than his FIP with the Cubs.

I hear you but there is a reason you don't give up on really good arms. He wasn't horribly wild. Given we only got Feldman for a few months, this may have been a bit of a mistake. I would never tear DD a new on for it. Moreover, I suspect Buck didn't like Jake's attitude. However, it would be awfully nice to have a guy like this who won't be a free agent until 2018.

6.5 walks per 9 in his 4 2013 starts at the big league level. Granted it is only four starts but that kind of output after three underachieving years put the nail in the coffin. Career minor league walk rate of 3.8/9 is not great either.

6.5 walks per 9 in his 4 2013 starts at the big league level. Granted it is only four starts but that kind of output after three underachieving years put the nail in the coffin. Career minor league walk rate of 3.8/9 is not great either.

Just don't think you give up on cost-controlled, very impressive arms like Arrieta's, especially ones that are striking out major league hitters as Arrieta was in his last couple seasons here. The onus was on us to figure things out with him and instead we traded him for 3 months of a pitcher that figured to be about replacement level in the AL East.

There were reasons. A lot of us were continually poo-pooed when we pointed out that such a massive split between ERA and FIP was bound to change (and go in the positive direction, in this case). Terribly SSS, but ironically his FIP in his 5 starts with us last season was better than his FIP with the Cubs.

He underperformed his FIP in 2010 and 2011 and his FIP with the Orioles was 4.72. Hardly a recipe for success.

He is definitely the better pitcher on the field today. It's a shame he's not wearing orange and black. Sickening to think the talent was there the whole time and the O's coaching staff was unable to harness it. I don't think there is another reasonable explanation.

It is amazing to me that a guy like Gausman still doesn't have a decent breaking pitch. The guy went through the highest levels of junior baseball. I know that they discourage throwing breaking pitches and I have heard a thousand time that these guys can get by with fastballs so other pitches don't develop. However, every kid in the world from the time they are old enough to pick up a baseball is fascinated by being able to snap off a great breaking ball. You would think he would at least have a mediocre one at this point.

Just don't think you give up on cost-controlled, very impressive arms like Arrieta's, especially ones that are striking out major league hitters as Arrieta was in his last couple seasons here. The onus was on us to figure things out with him and instead we traded him for 3 months of a pitcher that figured to be about replacement level in the AL East.

He was a head case here who had been given a million chances. I always thought he was going to be the best of the bunch of young pitchers. He still had 1 option left but on a contending team with the way things were trending it didn't look good for him to work it out here. We traded him for another starter, hard to imagine him being handed a starting job this season. I still don't trust him long term.

The onus was on us to figure things out with him and instead we traded him for 3 months of a pitcher that figured to be about replacement level in the AL East.

That isn't an accurate description of Scott Feldman. Per fWAR he was worth 7.3 WAR over 76 starts from 2009-12 with the Rangers which is a solid 3.1 WAR full season pace. And he finished 2013 with 2 WAR.

I have a feeling our current coaching staff far surpasses last year's body of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, he is pitching a good game. Would you really prefer him over Gausman though over the rest of their careers? I still expect Gausman to be better.

Archived