Predict Jake Arrieta's line today

CanadianOriole

Trading Arrieta wasn't necessarily the mistake. Trading him for Scot Feldman was the mistake. Good buy low on a talented asset move by Epstein - poor decision to deal an asset at its lowest value for a guy who's track record indicated he'd be marginal at best by Duquette. As someone else said - Duq has made very few mistakes - but this deal was one of them. Not hindsight on my part - you can find me bleating this same thing at the time the deal was made too.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seconded. Hindsight-whining is basically the worst kind of whining, especially since (I'd wager that) most of the people who'd argue that Arrieta shouldn't have been traded weren't complaining at all at the time he actually was traded.

Agreed. I know a few people disagreed with it, but the majority has no problem at all with the deal. I think we have some revisionist history going on, but it is not surprising. I think it was expected if he pitched well today.

I liked Jake, but the bottom line is that he did not perform in Baltimore, and he had the opportunity. Maybe he needed a change of scenery and a wake up call, but I feel pretty confident that success was not going to happen in Baltimore for Jake.

Because our pitching has been awful recently? I don't understand why people think that Jake would be doing the same thing if he were still an Oriole. He had plenty of chances here, he did not take advantage of them. Good for him, but we need to move on.

There is reason to believe Duquette's "my way or the highway" pitching philosophy prevented Arrieta from reaching his full potential as an Oriole and reason to believe it could hinder the growth of other Oriole pitcher's down the road.

The Orioles have a prospect named Dylan Bundy who throws his fastball in the upper nineties and thrived with a cut fastball as part of his arsenal in high school. The Orioles? forbidding him from throwing the pitch may be taking this philosophy too far. After all, each pitcher is different, and if Bundy wasn?t having trouble with arm strength and used a fine-looking cutter, telling him to stop using it seems to be folly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-jake-arrieta-the-new-jesse-chavez/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dan-duquette-doesnt-like-cutters/

Agreed. I know a few people disagreed with it, but the majority has no problem at all with the deal. I think we have some revisionist history going on, but it is not surprising. I think it was expected if he pitched well today.

I liked Jake, but the bottom line is that he did not perform in Baltimore, and he had the opportunity. Maybe he needed a change of scenery and a wake up call, but I feel pretty confident that success was not going to happen in Baltimore for Jake.

Same here. Tip your hat to the guy if he's really figured things out, because the Cubs have a chance to be pretty good in the not-too-distant future. But we've got other things to worry about around here, and one "oh what might have been..." shouldn't really be one of them. First place.

Trading Arrieta wasn't necessarily the mistake. Trading him for Scot Feldman was the mistake. Good buy low on a talented asset move by Epstein - poor decision to deal an asset at its lowest value for a guy who's track record indicated he'd be marginal at best by Duquette. As someone else said - Duq has made very few mistakes - but this deal was one of them. Not hindsight on my part - you can find me bleating this same thing at the time the deal was made too.

I am not sure it was his lowest since he had gotten worse each each season for us the last two years. He was headed worse and worse. If they waited til after the season the way he was pitching he was getting let go anyway atleast they got something for him.

I KNEW all of the Captain Hindsights on this board would emerge if this happened. I posted that prediction back in may.

I would LOVE to stroll through some of the game threads when Arrietta had a classic collapse. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, wanted this guy run out of town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is reason to believe Duquette's "my way or the highway" pitching philosophy prevented Arrieta from reaching his full potential as an Oriole and reason to believe it could hinder the growth of other Oriole pitcher's down the road.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-jake-arrieta-the-new-jesse-chavez/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dan-duquette-doesnt-like-cutters/

They want Bundy to work on his other pitches to make them stronger. What is the number one complaint about Gausman his inability to have more then two pitches and not learning it in the minors and making him throw them and not being so reliant on the fastball and changeup.

I KNEW all of the Captain Hindsights on this board would emerge if this happened. I posted that prediction back in may.

I would LOVE to stroll through some of the game threads when Arrietta had a classic collapse. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, wanted this guy run out of town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly! Jake in the last two seasons of his Oriole tenure was beyond awful. We were trying to win a division. He was completely inept and had no options. Fine, he is pitching pretty well in the NL Central, but we are not the rebuilding last place Orioles any longer. I was fine with it then and fine with it now.

He pitched well today but I wouldn't call it dominant. We missed a couple meatballs and we also hit into some bad luck. The game could have easily gone the other way. And it's just 1 loss. I know Arrieta developing finally after years of failing for us with another team sucks. But it's just one game We won't see him again for a long time so let's brush it off and let's go and win tomorrow.

Seconded. Hindsight-whining is basically the worst kind of whining, especially since (I'd wager that) most of the people who'd argue that Arrieta shouldn't have been traded weren't complaining at all at the time he actually was traded.

I complained extensively at the time, but I do agree we gave Jake an awful lot of chances. I was simply complaining because I didn't think Feldman was enough of an upgrade over, I think it was Britton at the time, to be worth giving away a guy with Jake's up-side. It just didn't look like Jake was ever going to figure it out in Baltimore.

That said, the predictions in this thread were pretty amusing. So many people acting like he was going to be the same guy he was with us. He's not that guy anymore!

Hendricks hasn't allowed more than 1 run since July 10th. He hasn't walked more than 1 batter since July 22nd. He hasn't allowed more hits than innings pitched since July 27th.

And he's a righty.

O's are in deep trouble unless Norris is perfect.

I think we'll hit them both. Not that Arrieta wasn't good, but I thought we hit quite a few balls pretty hard today, just into some bad luck imo.

The thing that pisses me off about Wada is that the O's spent all that time getting him back on track after surgery. And he was making significant progress. And they don't pick up his option. Why? Good grief.

The O's in first. Pitching for the Cubs is different. I don't miss

Jake or Wada. The O's pitching has done pretty damn well. I

don't get why the upset that Jake and Wada are not O's. for

goodness sake be happy the O's are winning. I really think

some would be upset if it took the O's five or six games to win

the World Series instead of four. IMO

Archived