You have to trade for a new 3B, right?

JohnD

The O's haven't had a shot like this for the World Series since I was in high school. Even 2012 was more of Cinderella than legitimate contender. And after 1997 we all thought they were going to be in position to try again in the ensuing years. Didn't happen.

Obviously Beltre is target number one, since he's cleared waivers. Who knows if Texas really wants to deal him, but I'm willing to deal Harvey and maybe even Bundy to make that deal happen. If I need to add a player or two, I can do that as well.

I'm not sure who else is out there beyond that though, and whether they'll make enough difference.

But the bottom line for me is, in my mind, the O's and the A's are the two best teams in baseball. They O's are in it because of power and defense. Time to not sacrifice there. Beltre is the natural choice, presuming Texas is willing. But Duq has to do everything he can to get someone.

Time to go all in. Worry about 2015 and 2016 and everything after at the end of 2014. But go out and do everything to win the World Series this year.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vesting option for 2016. So possibly after next year, likely the year after.

So there's the issue...You can't have the two best 3b and not play one. So you trade one but everyone knows you have to trade and won't give up anything good.

The problem with trading for Beltre, is what do you do when Manny comes back next season? When is Beltre a free agent?

We are not getting Beltre but if we did, I would assume since he is due $18MM next year and has a $16MM vesting option for 2016 the Orioles would not resign Hardy. Manny would move to SS and Beltre would play 3B.

So there's the issue...You can't have the two best 3b and not play one. So you trade one but everyone knows you have to trade and won't give up anything good.

All part of the math for what you think it adds to a postseason run this year. You could also play super fast/loose and let Hardy walk this season with the intention of letting Manny's two repaired knees make a move to SS. Not advocating that, but it's another potential option.

O's are fine with what they have. They have 3 options for 3rd base and it's not like two of those three (haven't seen Cord there yet) is killing our defense at 3rd.

Exactly. Everyone is overreacting. Yes we miss Mannys bat.. But it seems like Cruz and Pearce are starting to come around.

Archived