You have to trade for a new 3B, right?

JohnD

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has Beltre ever played 1B?
Nope. 2313 games at 3B, 66 at DH, 7 at SS and 1 at 2B.

My assumption would be that Beltre would be an excellent first baseman. Even if the opportunities at first would limit his value there. Heck, that's not a bad idea (setting aside the craziness of trading for him now).

My assumption would be that Beltre would be an excellent first baseman. Even if the opportunities at first would limit his value there. Heck, that's not a bad idea (setting aside the craziness of trading for him now).

Many of my questions/suggestions demand setting aside craziness (if not embracing it). I do think the near-stone silence in re: trade rumors since Manny's injury makes all of this academic. Better than dwelling on the Cubs sweep, at least?

Someone in the thread mentioned about the effect a trade for Beltre would have on JJ Hardy, since it would basically tell Hardy he's gone after this year. But considering the O's have made no effort to sign him, why does anyone think he's a high priority or someone they want to keep anyway? His power is way down this year and that's always the first thing to decline in a player. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's not here next year.

It's clear I'm in the go for it all group, since you never know when your window is going to close. The last time the O's were in the World Series was when I was 4, had never been to Maryland, and had no idea what an Oriole was. At that time Cal thought he was going to be going back for much of his career. Didn't really come close to working out that way. When you have a shot, I believe you have to go all out for it.

That said, Duquette doesn't seem to be in a panic and the rest of the national media doesn't either. I don't know if that's supposed to reassure me or if I'm just prescient, but it looks like this is what we have. Hopefully Davis gets his poop in a group soon, but I'm not confident.

In 2012 it was Markakis. This year it's Machado. Why the **** can't nice things ever work out for us?!?!?!

Someone in the thread mentioned about the effect a trade for Beltre would have on JJ Hardy, since it would basically tell Hardy he's gone after this year. But considering the O's have made no effort to sign him, His power is way down this year and that's always the first thing to decline in a player. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's not here next year.

why does anyone think he's a high priority or someone they want to keep anyway?

It's clear I'm in the go for it all group, since you never know when your window is going to close. The last time the O's were in the World Series was when I was 4, had never been to Maryland, and had no idea what an Oriole was. At that time Cal thought he was going to be going back for much of his career. Didn't really come close to working out that way. When you have a shot, I believe you have to go all out for it.

That said, Duquette doesn't seem to be in a panic and the rest of the national media doesn't either. I don't know if that's supposed to reassure me or if I'm just prescient, but it looks like this is what we have. Hopefully Davis gets his poop in a group soon, but I'm not confident.

In 2012 it was Markakis. This year it's Machado. Why the **** can't nice things ever work out for us?!?!?!

Because Manny's injury precludes moving him to SS and there are no better options available. But they are not signing Beltre so it's moot.

Archived