It's Time To Bench Chris Davis

LookitsPuck

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Non-tender.

Idk. I don't think you non tender him. I think you have to let him start next season to see if he can turn things around. Something has to be wrong with him. I mean you don't just accidentally hit 53 homers and 138 rbis. They say pitchers figured him out but it seems that it was pretty easy to do, so why didn't they figure him out last season?

Honest question, how often do people have historic mvp caliber seasons and then just fall off this badly?

I really don't like to harp on ones personal habits but maybe while on the field if CD got rid of that big fat wad of chew, he may be able to hit, run, field, and throw a little bit better.

I feel very strongly that MLB should ban it, but it has nothing to do with Davis' performance. Just like it didn't in 2013.

Not a big Drungo fan, but in that case I thought his sarcasm was appropriate. Hitting is a lot easier sitting at a key board.

I just love that some random guy on the Hangout thinks that he has a bunch of obvious and easy solutions to hitting major league pitching that the organization didn't think of or couldn't get through Davis' "thick skull."

Idk. I don't think you non tender him. I think you have to let him start next season to see if he can turn things around. Something has to be wrong with him. I mean you don't just accidentally hit 53 homers and 138 rbis. They say pitchers figured him out but it seems that it was pretty easy to do, so why didn't they figure him out last season?

Honest question, how often do people have historic mvp caliber seasons and then just fall off this badly?

Can the O's afford to hand him the first base job and the 11 million or so in salary that goes with it?

Rarely. Just one data point, but a week or so ago I looked a the biggest falloffs from 1.000 OPS seasons and just a small handful didn't OPS .700 the next year. Some 19th century guys in weird years where the rules were in flux, and Roy Campanella. Adrian Beltre also went something like .715-1.000-.715 in three straight years.

Not a big Drungo fan, but in that case I thought his sarcasm was appropriate. Hitting is a lot easier sitting at a key board.

I don't get what's wrong with offering specific detailed critiques of CD's hitting approach. VaTech frequently offers detailed critiques and analysis of what our pitchers are doing, based on his experience as a college pitcher, and I think those are some of the most valuable posts on this board.

If someone has a well-informed reason for disagreeing with the specifics of webbrick's analysis, I think that would be a valuable contribution.

I don't get what's wrong with offering specific detailed critiques of CD's hitting approach. VaTech frequently offers detailed critiques and analysis of what our pitchers are doing, based on his experience as a college pitcher, and I think those are some of the most valuable posts on this board.

If someone has a well-informed reason for disagreeing with the specifics of webbrick's analysis, I think that would be a valuable contribution.

I don't recall many of VaTech's analyses starting with "they should find somebody to knock this through the guy's thick skull".

What are webbrick's credentials? I know what VaTech's are, that's why I pay attention to him. I tend to ignore dilettantes.

I guess another possibility is to play Schoop at 3B, call up Ivan Dejesus Jr. to play 2B. The thing about that is Schoop's offense is lackluster (although slightly better last couple weeks) and his defense at 3B would be sub-par. So I'd imagine any gains you get offensively from 2B you lose defensively at 3B.

Personally I'm leaning towards giving Flaherty a shot at 3B. His defense is better than Davis's IMHO (I think he has better range and a more accurate arm). His bat might be slightly better than Davis's. But who knows. He's not good either.

I guess another possibility is to play Schoop at 3B, call up Ivan Dejesus Jr. to play 2B. The thing about that is Schoop's offense is lackluster (although slightly better last couple weeks) and his defense at 3B would be sub-par. So I'd imagine any gains you get offensively from 2B you lose defensively at 3B.

Personally I'm leaning towards giving Flaherty a shot at 3B. His defense is better than Davis's IMHO (I think he has better range and a more accurate arm). His bat might be slightly better than Davis's. But who knows. He's not good either.

Saying Flaherty's bat may be better than Davis' is like saying melted ice cream is better than spoiled milk. They're all bad options.

Unfortunately we don't seem to have an in house better option for third, but for heaven's sake I would get him out of the middle of the order. Bat him ninth for a while.

And one more thing...power threat or not, its time to start bunting down the third base line when they are giving you half the friggin diamond! Newsflash....you ain't hitting homers kid. Take the base hit in situations where we need a runner.

Archived