Chen Optioned to GCL Orioles; September Call-ups are Coming!

Sanfran327

Maybe. If Buck considered him a catcher.

I am by no means upset by a move of this insignificance I just don't see where it is likely to make a ripple in a still pond.

Yeah, it's just four games so it's doubtful that it will matter at all. Really, all it likely means is that Buck can pinch run for Joesph or Hundley without having to worry that he's a freak injury away from a Len Sakata situation. I doubt that Clevinger plays at all this month - he's just insurance.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the 10 day time period only applies when the league is in session? Would the guy who gets sent down on the 31st be able to be called back up the next day?

A player must stay down for 10 days unless a) an injury occurs on the major league roster or b) the minor league season ends. For the GCL, they are done tomorrow.

Whoever goes down on Sunday for Chen, would be able to come back on the 2nd, not the 1st, since Norfolk has a game on the 1st.

I am by no means upset by a move of this insignificance I just don't see where it is likely to make a ripple in a still pond.

I recall Britt saying Buck was very disappointed with Clevenger when he was getting playing time early in the season.. that before games he was so focused on hitting he was no where to be found working on his defense drills. Always in the cage.

Pretty sure that put him in the dog house.

Don't think of it as Clevenger logging innings at catcher, but more as a lot better option at emergency catcher than Flaherty. Buck can pinch run for Joseph late in the game, insert Hundley, and not have to worry if he gets hurt or ejected. You then have Clevenger. Gives him a lot more flexibility. I like the idea of having a third catcher in September and possibly the post season.

Spot on. He is a left handed bat, not a catcher, in Buck's eyes.

Who is next in the board's opinion?

My take:

Meek/Guilmet: all but locked

Lombardozzi I would think.

Weeks better...I think he can help and help now. Probably would be the only single person on our team that can steal bases.

Berry-see my comments above about Weeks, and he does it better.

Joe Saunders-no brainer

Jimmy Paredes-when are we going to see this guy? Who likes him? DD or Buck. My guess is DD so doubt we see him. The sparkle has run dull on this shiny new toy.

Alexi Casilla-you would think, but does he AND DeJesus get recalled? I would think Dejesus is protected in the Rule V draft so we bring him up of a cup and protect him. Casilla doesn't really have much value in my eyes.

Josh Stinson or Eddie Gamboa: No brainer I would bring up Eddie. Stinson is 4A fodder:) BUT he could be brought up and then released/removed from 40-man after using him for September.

Spot on. He is a left handed bat, not a catcher, in Buck's eyes.

Who is next in the board's opinion?

My take:

Meek/Guilmet: all but locked

Lombardozzi I would think.

Weeks better...I think he can help and help now. Probably would be the only single person on our team that can steal bases.

Berry-see my comments above about Weeks, and he does it better.

Joe Saunders-no brainer

Jimmy Paredes-when are we going to see this guy? Who likes him? DD or Buck. My guess is DD so doubt we see him. The sparkle has run dull on this shiny new toy.

Alexi Casilla-you would think, but does he AND DeJesus get recalled? I would think Dejesus is protected in the Rule V draft so we bring him up of a cup and protect him. Casilla doesn't really have much value in my eyes.

Josh Stinson or Eddie Gamboa: No brainer I would bring up Eddie. Stinson is 4A fodder:) BUT he could be brought up and then released/removed from 40-man after using him for September.

They aren't going to bring up more than they need.

Quentin Berry, Joe Saunders, Steve Clevenger (after he goes down again), Guilmet, and one of Weeks/DeJesus/Lombo.

Meek, Stinson, Casilla, Paredes, Gamboa, Ward, and the other two of Weeks/DeJesus/Lombo probably go to Sarasota to stay in game shape just in case.

They did the exact same thing with Chen last season. In an interview last year, Buck joked that he had to explain to Chen that he wasn't being punished. I'm sure he expected it this year. He's perfect for it, because while the GCL doesn't have an age limit, players may not have more than 2 years of minor league experience.

The O's have been a position player short since they brought back Gonzo and DFA'd Phelps. People here have been saying, "we need a left-handed bat off the bench." Okay, you got him. He also could serve as DH if they trade Delmon Young. You just never know.

They aren't going to bring up more than they need.

Quentin Berry, Joe Saunders, Steve Clevenger (after he goes down again), Guilmet, and one of Weeks/DeJesus/Lombo.

Meek, Stinson, Casilla, Paredes, Gamboa, Ward, and the other two of Weeks/DeJesus/Lombo probably go to Sarasota to stay in game shape just in case.

No Webb?

I'm guessing this has to do with the playoff roster. I'm guessing McF goes down. With the off days in the playoffs and a starter or two moving to the bullpen, you can add a bat.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Clevenger was already up this year so he's already eligible.

Archived