Orioles acquire Alejandro de Aza

PaulFolk

I like it. This guy basically put up Markakis type numbers last year. In LF he's a good defender. Good for the stretch run and next year. Even if the guy puts up just his career numbers he will be worth it for next year. 1 year 6 million. Think about what it will take to resign Markakis. He could easily be non tendered or traded if need be. Blackmar had a hot streak but low K numbers. Chalas was a reliever who I believe we got from the independent leagues 2 years ago.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like it. This guy basically put up Markakis type numbers last year. In LF he's a good defender. Good for the stretch run and next year. Even if the guy puts up just his career numbers he will be worth it for next year. 1 year 6 million. Think about what it will take to resign Markakis. He could easily be non tendered or traded if need be. Blackmar had a hot streak but low K numbers. Chalas was a reliever who I believe we got from the independent leagues 2 years ago.

Not quite. Chalas came to the US from the Dominican League in 2011. He stalled out as a starter in 2012 and was turned into a reliever in 2013 but was still down in Frederick. He was mentioned as a possible plus prospect but never lived up to the potential.

He's here because Lough has hit so poorly. Would guess he may get a few days crack at the Lough (starting LF vs. RHP so Cruz can DH) role envisioned back at the start of the year, at least for as long as Pearce is day to day.

Will be interesting in September to see how he stacks up vs. Pearce and Delmon for at-bats vs. RHP.

Duquette in booth on broadcast just mentioned him as a CF option as well. Says big thing he can do is get on base and steal a base, and matches up well agains September and playoff projected opposing starters.

He can play CF about as well as Markakis... not really that much of an addition to his skills. Lough is by far the better choice to back up Jones.

He has definitely had red-hot streaks in the past. Also from Rotoworld:

O'ss acquire OF Alejandro De Aza from CHW

Orioles acquired OF Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox for RHPs Miguel Chalas and Mark Blackmar.

De Aza has good speed and can play all three outfield positions, making him a nice addition to the Baltimore bench for the stretch run. The 30-year-old was batting .243/.309/.354 with 15 stolen bases in 122 games this season for the White Sox. He'll be arbitration-eligible for the third and final time this winter. Chalas and Blackmar are non-prospects.

I don't mind the trade but as someone who follows the O's minor league system daily, I think it's safe to say Blackmar had worked his way into (mid-level) prospect status this year. He was 10-1 with a 3.14 ERA, this coming while he was just 22 at Frederick. His 1.054 WHIP was the lowest of any other starter or reliever all year with more than two appearances. I didn't have Chalas ranked in my top 100, but I had Blackmar at 23.

Like I said, I'm OK with the trade, but we did, indeed, give up something.

I don't mind the trade but as someone who follows the O's minor league system daily, I think it's safe to say Blackmar had worked his way into (mid-level) prospect status this year. He was 10-1 with a 3.14 ERA, this coming while he was just 22 at Frederick. His 1.054 WHIP was the lowest of any other starter or reliever all year with more than two appearances. I didn't have Chalas ranked in my top 100, but I had Blackmar at 23.

WHIP was real good but that K-rate hurts him a lot.

I don't even know what to say. Chalas was decent but marginal; Blackmar was working his way into being a prospect.

I'd have to say we win this trade, but both of our players could be future MLBers. Hard to say.

De Aza had 17 home runs last season.

Blackmar is pretty much a hit per inning guy though, right?

Sox fan here...

He may be your hero, but also may be your goat.

Terrible base runner. Comes up with the big hit once in a while. Makes bad plays in the field, but also will pull one out once in a while.

Nice insurance policy/platoon guy.

Glad he's gone, but good luck. He and Beckham playing in the playoffs is funny to me.

Sox fan here...

He may be your hero, but also may be your goat.

Terrible base runner. Comes up with the big hit once in a while. Makes bad plays in the field, but also will pull one out once in a while.

Nice insurance policy/platoon guy.

Glad he's gone, but good luck. He and Beckham playing in the playoffs is funny to me.

Thank you. Appreciate the heads up.

Archived