Orioles acquire Alejandro de Aza

PaulFolk

Sox fan here...

He may be your hero, but also may be your goat.

Terrible base runner. Comes up with the big hit once in a while. Makes bad plays in the field, but also will pull one out once in a while.

Nice insurance policy/platoon guy.

Glad he's gone, but good luck. He and Beckham playing in the playoffs is funny to me.

What you got were two project arms. Nothing to be looking forward to anytime soon.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duquette mentioned his success against upcoming and playoff opponents. Browsing for some of those:

333/333/1000 with 2 HR against tomorrow's Ricky Nolasco (guessing he hits 2nd tomorrow)

308/308/615 against day after tomorrow's Phil Hughes

226/294/516 vs. Verlander (only other pitcher he's hit 2 HR's off of)

275/356/375 vs. Scherzer

444/545/889 vs. Weaver

286/333/571 vs. Lester

333/429/500 vs. Anibal

Guthrie, Shields and Porcello have gotten him out pretty good.

He's drawn his most walks, 6, off Ubaldo natch :)

Duquette mentioned his success against upcoming and playoff opponents. Browsing for some of those:

333/333/1000 with 2 HR against tomorrow's Ricky Nolasco (guessing he hits 2nd tomorrow)

308/308/615 against day after tomorrow's Phil Hughes

226/294/516 vs. Verlander (only other pitcher he's hit 2 HR's off of)

275/356/375 vs. Scherzer

444/545/889 vs. Weaver

286/333/571 vs. Lester

333/429/500 vs. Anibal

Guthrie, Shields and Porcello have gotten him out pretty good.

He's drawn his most walks, 6, off Ubaldo natch :)

Nice post.

He's not really similar to Lough. Lough is a much better defender, but de Aza has more pop. Just last year he hit 17 HR.

So right. And here's the big problem with dwar. Lough gets a great dwar as a CF'er playing LF. De Aza gets a minus dwar as a LF'er playing CF. David Lough will never come close to touching the offensive numbers he put up last year. If De Aza is a platoon LF'er he will put up a 2 plus WAR.

He can play CF about as well as Markakis... not really that much of an addition to his skills. Lough is by far the better choice to back up Jones.

I don't think Dan knows too much about this player. Aside from hitting 17 HR's last season, he's done pretty much nothing. He gets thrown out nearly as much as he's successful when stealing, he's a negative dWAR defender, and he's been worth a half a win this season with over 400 PA. David Lough would be a far more valuable player over 400 AB's then De Aza. I'm not worried about what they gave up, I think De Aza is a move to make a move.

I like it. This guy basically put up Markakis type numbers last year. In LF he's a good defender. Good for the stretch run and next year. Even if the guy puts up just his career numbers he will be worth it for next year. 1 year 6 million. Think about what it will take to resign Markakis. He could easily be non tendered or traded if need be. Blackmar had a hot streak but low K numbers. Chalas was a reliever who I believe we got from the independent leagues 2 years ago.

If he is putting up Markakis type numbers it makes sense that he might be a Markakis Insurance Policy. MLBTradeRumors.com had a post earlier mentioning ongoing interest between Nelson Cruz and the Front Office. Perhaps they think they can spend less on Nelson and move him to RF and slide De Aza into LF and let Markakis walk.

Archived