Any concern over the pen?

LAOSfan

Just putting it out there as it seems to me that over the past few weeks, our pen has looked, well, human. Britton has not looked nearly as sharp IMO, O'day was touched up the other night, Miller was touched up against Cleveland, Brach was hit around last night. So is anyone concerned that these guys are coming back down to earth a bit?

With our lead and with expanded rosters, I would be looking to get these guys some rest. But I understand it's a fine line between rest and getting these guys regular work to keep them sharp.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britton has pitched among the most innings in baseball for a reliever. I'd like to see him rested a bit more. I obviously don't want us to lose games; so I guess I hope we start winning our games by more than 3 for a bit of what's left of the year. I get that we're playing for home field at this point, but I wish we'd use some of rested bullpen/Ubaldo.

Ideally, you want everybody well rested.

But, the dang catch 22 is, some pitcher require regular work to stay sharp, and having a larger pen can be both good and bad.

It's late in the season, I wonder if some of the guys are just going through the dead arm period, that the starters typically hit a bit earlier in the season.

Britton has pitched among the most innings in baseball for a reliever. I'd like to see him rested a bit more. I obviously don't want us to lose games; so I guess I hope we start winning our games by more than 3 for a bit of what's left of the year. I get that we're playing for home field at this point, but I wish we'd use some of rested bullpen/Ubaldo.

It wasn't exactly mop up time last night but I thought Ubaldo could have been used instead of Brach in the 7th.

#quickhook

o

The Orioles' bullpen has deep depth.

If several otherwise very reliable pitchers start struggling (Brach, Miller), there will be a couple of other very reliable pitchers that will remain solid, and pick them up (Hunter, Britton.)

Like Hunter and Britton, Darren O'Day has also been very solid lately, with the exception of the one horrible outing against the Reds on Wednesday.

Just putting it out there as it seems to me that over the past few weeks, our pen has looked, well, human. Britton has not looked nearly as sharp IMO, O'day was touched up the other night, Miller was touched up against Cleveland, Brach was hit around last night. So is anyone concerned that these guys are coming back down to earth a bit?

With our lead and with expanded rosters, I would be looking to get these guys some rest. But I understand it's a fine line between rest and getting these guys regular work to keep them sharp.

Well no not really.

They've been really bad as of late.

And Buck is to blame partly. USE YOUR EXPANDED ROSTER. Yesterday was the perfect game for it. I swear, it's the same guys w/ Buck. Classic overuse.

Of course, no credit can be given to the other guys, they are not getting paid to play and don't expect to keep trying to do something.

Archived