Better utility guy

auzzy98

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah i agree. Was just curious and all. I guess I'm just tired of Flash. His "i'm too cool for school" act has worn out it's welcome with me when he is batting .200

So you don't like him because he doesn't show a lot of emotion? Isn't that a pretty good trait for a guy who isn't going to play everyday until someone gets hurt? Flaherty is a lot like Nick Markakis on the field, but that certainly doesn't mean that both don't want to succeed badly.

If the biggest concern for the Orioles is improving our utility guy, than we are in great shape! :D

Ok, I'll bite, who are some of the guys that could be available that are better?

That's pretty simple.

The same answer, we get, when we ask who is available to help this team at third or SS? None.

So you don't like him because he doesn't show a lot of emotion? Isn't that a pretty good trait for a guy who isn't going to play everyday until someone gets hurt? Flaherty is a lot like Nick Markakis on the field, but that certainly doesn't mean that both don't want to succeed badly.

I have never liked Flaherty's attitude since day 1. Sure, of course he wants to succeed badly. But he bats .200 and acts like he has swag

That's pretty simple.

The same answer, we get, when we ask who is available to help this team at third or SS? None.

I'm not picking on the OP, but for the life of me I don't get the Flaherty haters. Bench players are bench players for a reason. For me, your utility infielder needs to be defensively versatile and have optimally have an additional skill like power or speed. Flaherty is a guy who going to make some errors if he's forced to play too much at shortstop, but that's why he's really a 2B/3B. Saying that, I fell pretty good with him filling in over there. Now would I want him playing 150+ games a year at SS, no, we could do better, but at the end of the day as Utility guys go, Flaherty fulfills the role just fine.

For me I love all my Orioles and of course want to see them all do well but it is just so damn frustrating watching Flaherty bat when we need a hit or even a sac fly, I am really surprised when he makes good contact and does the job with the bat. I do like him as a sub but as others have stated when he has to play more often because of injuries it really shows how weak of a bat he has. Sub yes-starter no. I love his versatility but to me a hot streak with Ryan would be about a 3 game hitting streak. As for the last couple of errors he has made i am just spoiled at being used to JJ out there who of course can pick it with the best of them.

I have never liked Flaherty's attitude since day 1. Sure, of course he wants to succeed badly. But he bats .200 and acts like he has swag

I can guarantee you, Flaherty would not have been kept around for 3 years, if he had an attitude problem. Buck and DD value a smooth clubhouse and guys that get along with each other.

I'm asking the OH to come up with some guys. Read the first post. I asked, who are some guys that might work for us in the future.

Oh, so you've come up with a problem that isn't a problem, but when people tell you why Flaherty is not a problem you want them to go out and do the legwork to fix the non-problem? Got it! :D

I'm not picking on the OP, but for the life of me I don't get the Flaherty haters. Bench players are bench players for a reason. For me, your utility infielder needs to be defensively versatile and have optimally have an additional skill like power or speed. Flaherty is a guy who going to make some errors if he's forced to play too much at shortstop, but that's why he's really a 2B/3B. Saying that, I fell pretty good with him filling in over there. Now would I want him playing 150+ games a year at SS, no, we could do better, but at the end of the day as Utility guys go, Flaherty fulfills the role just fine.

Buck is in love with Flash, and it's understandable. Quoting Buck, it's very rare to find a guy in MLB, that can play above average defense at three or more positions.

Would you rather him meekly approach the plate, bow down to the pitcher, say a little prayer, and hope that with his limited skills he can make some contact? The last thing Flaherty has is an attitude problem. He just doesn't have a very outgoing personality on the field. See Mr. Markakis for another good ball player with a similar on field persona.

Archived