Better utility guy

auzzy98

Okay, I get it, well, we have to agree to disagree. I think you are 180% wrong in your opinion and you probably think the same of me.

Yup, you are correct. Tons of my friends and aquaintances who watch the O's night in and night out feel exactly the same as i do about him. So i know i'm not crazy

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe you could go back and quote the folks who have called or insinuated that he is amazing. If anyone is making things up now it's you.

I think the closest anyone has come is saying that Flaherty is "above average" at all three defensive positions. Frankly, I don't agree with that assessment. But he's very competent at all three positions, and above average for a backup player.

Maybe you could go back and quote the folks who have called or insinuated that he is amazing. If anyone is making things up now it's you.

1. Flaherty is the perfect utility guy because of his defense. If he could hit he'd be a starter.

Zero chance Flaherty is replaced next year.

Never said he had an attitude problem, or didn't get along with his team mates. Man u guys just make stuff up off the top of your heads or what? I said i don't care for his attitide, or the way he appears to hold himself.

The bolded is hilarious.

1. Flaherty is the perfect utility guy because of his defense. If he could hit he'd be a starter.

Exactly!

Have you ever listened to any of Buck's interviews?

Buck loves having the quality of Flaherty's glove on his bench and able to play multiple positions at above average defense.

Of course he has. He is a wonderful substitute.

You are getting sleepy....sleepy.....

Look, I thought your initial question was fair enough, though I don't share your opinion that Flaherty acts like he has a high opinion of himself. However, looking around, there are not a lot of guys who would upgrade Flaherty's particular niche on this team. Guys who play 2B, SS and 3B decently and who put up a .650+ OPS don't really seem to exist, or if they do exist, they are starters at one of those positions rather than a jack of all trades like Flaherty.

You are getting sleepy....sleepy.....

Look, I thought your initial question was fair enough, though I don't share your opinion that Flaherty acts like he has a high opinion of himself. However, looking around, there are not a lot of guys who would upgrade Flaherty's particular niche on this team. Guys who play 2B, SS and 3B decently and who put up a .650+ OPS don't really seem to exist, or if they do exist, they are starters at one of those positions rather than a jack of all trades like Flaherty.

Fair enough. Thanks for looking into it Frob.

auzzy, of course 'Can we upgrade on Flaherty' is a reasonable question for discussion. Since you seem to be standing alone in this particular thread, I hope you can see a difference between arguing against your stance and picking on you. Sometimes, posters who don't post that much feel like they're being jumped on in a thread like this. Even those who are coming on strong don't mean anything by it.

The thing about Flaherty is that, despite his bat, he's given the O's something that's hard to replace. The O's brought in a bunch of AAAA 2B/utility infielders this year, for example, but Flaherty's 25-man roster spot was safe all year because he slides rather easily to SS and 3B as well.

Just so you don't think everyone is in love with Flaherty, you could do a search and look back on any debate about Flaherty being a starter... like the debates about Flaherty vs. Schoop for 2B... or the threads about a search for an upgrade at 2B before the first trade deadline (although no good candidates really came up to make those threads interesting). I think it's safe to say that very few want Flaherty playing as much as he has this season with Machado out and Hardy dealing with stuff. But it's also safe to say that when stuck with our utility guy playing that much all over the field, we could do worse.

Now, your question is, can we do better? Despite the replies in this thread, I think the answer is 'maybe'. The timing for this thread seems a bit off, though. It's all about 2014 right now. I don't know that you'll find folks inspired to do legwork on that right now. If you want to, you can start to peruse the potential free agent lists that you can probably find with google.

auzzy, of course 'Can we upgrade on Flaherty' is a reasonable question for discussion. Since you seem to be standing alone in this particular thread, I hope you can see a difference between arguing against your stance and picking on you. Sometimes, posters who don't post that much feel like they're being jumped on in a thread like this. Even those who are coming on strong don't mean anything by it.

The thing about Flaherty is that, despite his bat, he's given the O's something that's hard to replace. The O's brought in a bunch of AAAA 2B/utility infielders this year, for example, but Flaherty's 25-man roster spot was safe all year because he slides rather easily to SS and 3B as well.

Just so you don't think everyone is in love with Flaherty, you could do a search and look back on any debate about Flaherty being a starter... like the debates about Flaherty vs. Schoop for 2B... or the threads about a search for an upgrade at 2B before the first trade deadline (although no good candidates really came up to make those threads interesting). I think it's safe to say that very few want Flaherty playing as much as he has this season with Machado out and Hardy dealing with stuff. But it's also safe to say that when stuck with our utility guy playing that much all over the field, we could do worse.

Now, your question is, can we do better? Despite the replies in this thread, I think the answer is 'maybe'. The timing for this thread seems a bit off, though. It's all about 2014 right now. I don't know that you'll find folks inspired to do legwork on that right now. If you want to, you can start to peruse the potential free agent lists that you can probably find with google.

Thanks for posting this. Yeah it does feel like I'm getting jumped all over, probably in part because I am ha. Some of the guys do have an honest opinion I think. Others are out to make me feel as stupid as they can.

As far as the subject goes, I agree Flaherty has done an ample job, and can see why it might be a little off as far as timing goes, so sorry about that. Just thought it was worth discussing, and maybe make the day go by faster.

Archived