Chase Headley 3B & Manny SS 2015

Il BuonO

Now before you slam it look at a few numbers and consider a few things. I looked at the piece that MLBTR ran this morning and haven't really thought that much about Headley in the past. However, even in a down offensive year he gets his WAR.

"Headley as about 43 runs above average at third over his career, including 16.2 runs above average this year. Due to his defensive chops and the tough offensive environment in San Diego, Headley has always posted strong fWAR numbers, rating as 3.5 wins above replacement in 2013 and 3.2 this season. His 2014 fWAR puts him in the same neighborhood as players like Evan Longoria, Edwin Encarnacion and Nelson Cruz, even in a season in which Headley is perceived as being a disappointment."

With JJ's back a recurring theme I'm not crazy about the thought of a long term deal for him. Manny has said left knee was stronger after the surgery and there's no reason to think this won't be the same with his right as well.

I think it's fair to say he won't play the same level of defense JJ has at SS but I'm willing to bet he'll play at an acceptable level within a couple years and with Headley's plus defense at 3B that makes for an above average left side.

Alright fire away.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/free-agent-stock-watch-chase-headley.html

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Especially since Manny is coming back from another knee injury I just can't fathom any scenario where the O's think about moving him off of 3rd for 2015.

not trying to derail the discussion but that's how I see it. Headley would be intriguing otherwise, but the only way we look at adding more 3B is if something happens to Manny to slow his recovery.

The real question is SS, and that will depend on if Hardy is kept.........my gut keeps telling me he will be too expensive. :(

Especially since Manny is coming back from another knee injury I just can't fathom any scenario where the O's think about moving him off of 3rd for 2015.

not trying to derail the discussion but that's how I see it. Headley would be intriguing otherwise, but the only way we look at adding more 3B is if something happens to Manny to slow his recovery.

The real question is SS, and that will depend on if Hardy is kept.........my gut keeps telling me he will be too expensive. :(

That is why I brought up his first knee operation. Manny has said his left knee actually is stronger than before he he was injured and had the surgery. This is a congenital condition he has and there is no reason to think the surgery won't make his right knee stronger as well.

He as also said he wanted to play SS. I don't think anything has changed from that other than the fact we have an aging SS who is a FA.

That is why I brought up his first knee operation. Manny has said his left knee actually is stronger than before he he was injured and had the surgery. This is a congenital condition he has and there is no reason to think the surgery won't make his right knee stronger as well.

He as also said he wanted to play SS. I don't think anything has changed from that other than the fact we have an aging SS who is a FA.

Headley is only a year younger than Hardy, if we're going to sign 30 year olds, I'd honestly rather sign Hardy. They'll likely get the same money.

Aging SS is only 31.

Headly is 30, himself and making 10.53 million and would take at least that much to sign him.

Headley is only a year younger than Hardy, if we're going to sign 30 year olds, I'd honestly rather sign Hardy. They'll likely get the same money.

I think Hardy will be worth more in the open market. He plays SS and even with the drop in power and injuries, has been near a 4 WAR player. Hardy will also probably get more years than Headley. Headley is probably looking at a 1 year deal to improve his stock, two years at the most.

I say give Hardy the QO, if he goes elsewhere, Headley isn't a bad option.

You could be right. No injury history with him and as MLBTR notes he could be looking for a one year deal to re-establish value. In that case he is also the perfect DD guy. Then we move on to someone else the following year.

If you think that Headley and Hardy will provide approximately the same production for the same money then you give Hardy a QO and sign Headley.

If you think that Headley and Hardy will provide approximately the same production for the same money then you give Hardy a QO and sign Headley.

Assuming that Manny's knees will hold up, sure. I don't know what the plan is, but if his knees can't handle the position then you are stuck with two guys at 3B. I have some reservations about his knees going forward.

Assuming that Manny's knees will hold up, sure. I don't know what the plan is, but if his knees can't handle the position then you are stuck with two guys at 3B. I have some reservations about his knees going forward.

Like I said earlier, Manny's health is what give me pause. Prior to the second surgery I was pretty adamant about moving him to Short for the 2015 season. Now I have to question that timeline.

Like I said earlier, Manny's health is what give me pause. Prior to the second surgery I was pretty adamant about moving him to Short for the 2015 season. Now I have to question that timeline.

It's going to be the great unknown. I wouldn't give Headley more than 1 year, because if Manny's knees can't hold up at SS, then we'd be in trouble with several years of 2 third baseman.

Archived