Chase Headley 3B & Manny SS 2015

Il BuonO

Especially since Manny is coming back from another knee injury I just can't fathom any scenario where the O's think about moving him off of 3rd for 2015.

This is where I'm at. I'm weary of resigning Hardy due to these back issues but I do believe he is our best option. I'd also think it'd be nice to have the opportunity to move Manny to SS following 2015 assuming he makes it out in one piece. Hardy certainly isn't signing a one year deal so signing him would be committing Manny to 3B for his entire Orioles tenure. That's not really a terrible scenario but flexibility is important.

Plus, we won't be resigning everyone. You've got to pick and choose. Markakis, Cruz, Hardy with Davis, Wieters, Chen right behind them.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is why I brought up his first knee operation. Manny has said his left knee actually is stronger than before he he was injured and had the surgery. This is a congenital condition he has and there is no reason to think the surgery won't make his right knee stronger as well.

He as also said he wanted to play SS. I don't think anything has changed from that other than the fact we have an aging SS who is a FA.

If Manny can get through a full season at 3B healthy, and IF we then have a need at SS, I could see having this conversation. But I really don't see that happening before those two things happen.

Now if we had gone after Beltre............ ;)

Like I said earlier, Manny's health is what give me pause. Prior to the second surgery I was pretty adamant about moving him to Short for the 2015 season. Now I have to question that timeline.

Did you have reservations after watching him play this year one year removed from his first surgery? The difference here is that he isn't recovering from a torn ACL, it's a congenital condition and with the surgery he comes back better than before.

I know the natural reaction is to be reticent when you see someone have two surgeries within two years time, but this is a special circumstance. I see Manny as having all the range and stability he had before but with added strength he didn't have before.

If Manny can get through a full season at 3B healthy, and IF we then have a need at SS, I could see having this conversation. But I really don't see that happening before those two things happen.

Now if we had gone after Beltre............ ;)

Didn't DD come out publically and mentioned something about loving Beltre, but wasn't a financial fit for the the team?

Now before you slam it look at a few numbers and consider a few things. I looked at the piece that MLBTR ran this morning and haven't really thought that much about Headley in the past. However, even in a down offensive year he gets his WAR.

"Headley as about 43 runs above average at third over his career, including 16.2 runs above average this year. Due to his defensive chops and the tough offensive environment in San Diego, Headley has always posted strong fWAR numbers, rating as 3.5 wins above replacement in 2013 and 3.2 this season. His 2014 fWAR puts him in the same neighborhood as players like Evan Longoria, Edwin Encarnacion and Nelson Cruz, even in a season in which Headley is perceived as being a disappointment."

With JJ's back a recurring theme I'm not crazy about the thought of a long term deal for him. Manny has said left knee was stronger after the surgery and there's no reason to think this won't be the same with his right as well.

I think it's fair to say he won't play the same level of defense JJ has at SS but I'm willing to bet he'll play at an acceptable level within a couple years and with Headley's plus defense at 3B that makes for an above average left side.

Alright fire away.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/free-agent-stock-watch-chase-headley.html

My only concern with this plan is actually Headley's bat. Seems to have dropped off a bit. Maybe he'll be better in the AL next year after some time with the Yankees, and we all know how well a decent LH bat can play at OPACY. But I'm gonna go ahead and say it: I think Manny will be a superior SS to Hardy. He's got a stronger arm and is more athletic. No reason to think he will not be as good. I understand that Hardy has set the bar pretty high, but I think Machado is the superior defender, and if he's moved to SS, I think he'll prove it.

Did you have reservations after watching him play this year one year removed from his first surgery? The difference here is that he isn't recovering from a torn ACL, it's a congenital condition and with the surgery he comes back better than before.

I know the natural reaction is to be reticent when you see someone have two surgeries within two years time, but this is a special circumstance. I see Manny as having all the range and stability he had before but with added strength he didn't have before.

My reservation is that will he have enough time to be ready to play SS in 2015?

I don't want his bat out of the lineup for a month while he is in Norfolk getting reps at short. I also don't want to dump him at short without him having those reps.

Now if you want to assure me that he will be 100% full go for the START of ST then you have my attention.

I don't want his bat out of the lineup for a month while he is in Norfolk getting reps at short. I also don't want to dump him at short without him having those reps.

Now if you want to assure me that he will be 100% full go for the START of ST then you have my attention.

Well, I don't like the prospect of him at Norfolk getting reps either, but if that's what it takes while he rehabs a few games fine. He was back this year later than expected, but they say he should be ready for ST next year. Does that mean we'll see him in May? Who knows?

We could start Flaherty there *shivers* while Manny gets well enough to come back all the while preparing for SS instead of 3B.

They dumped him at 3B as a rookie in a pennant race with almost no reps at 3B

Manny has played most of his life, just about all of his minor league games at SS

I think a full Spring Training at SS is plenty of reps (if he is as good as once advertised, post knee operations)

They dumped him at 3B as a rookie in a pennant race with almost no reps at 3B

Manny has played most of his life, just about all of his minor league games at SS

I think a full Spring Training at SS is plenty of reps (if he is as good as once advertised, post knee operations)

If you had finished reading my post you would have seen that if Manny could get a full ST in I would reconsider the issue.

Archived