Chase Headley 3B & Manny SS 2015

Il BuonO

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't assume full recovery from any surgery. I have seen people die from complications with a simple standard discectomy. You wouldn't even consider a move to SS until he has demonstrated full recovery. This past season that wasn't clear until late July early August.

I'd take the chance. If Manny's not fully recovered, that's going to screw up either 3B or SS. Flaherty and Schoop can both play either for a spell. There are a few positives to this move:

1. Headley is a better OBP guy than Hardy.

2. Hardy would net us a pick. Headley wouldn't cost one.

3. Headley will likely be cheaper.

4. Headley's plays a position where age isn't quite the negative.

I love Hardy, but a GM can't fall in love with his guys.

Aside from injury, the one apparent negative might be that Machado could be worth significantly more as a SS than a 3B. He'll likely get paid after next season.

You can't assume full recovery from any surgery. I have seen people die from complications with a simple standard discectomy. You wouldn't even consider a move to SS until he has demonstrated full recovery. This past season that wasn't clear until late July early August.

Now Manny is gonna die? :rolleyes:

If you think that Headley and Hardy will provide approximately the same production for the same money then you give Hardy a QO and sign Headley.

Out of curiosity, if Hardy accepts the QO, and you sign Headley, and Machado is healthy, where does everyone play? Keep Hardy at short, Machado at 3rd, and move Headley to 2nd? Schoop gets sent down? Of course, Hardy is unlikely to accept, but it is possible.

Yep, let's change a known situation, Platinum at 3rd and GG at SS to a ? at third and possible ??? (due to more demand on knees) at short. It doesn't matter what Manny wants, it won't make him stay when he is a FA.

The O's should sign JJ...even if it's for an extra year. Make a run next year with Davis and Wieters. They can dump any of them next year...someone will want Hardy, guaranteed.

Aren't you ready to commit everyone who agrees with the opening post to an insane asylum? You've said on more than one occasion that Manny to SS is just fantasy baseball or just video game managing. Still feel that way?

Out of curiosity, if Hardy accepts the QO, and you sign Headley, and Machado is healthy, where does everyone play? Keep Hardy at short, Machado at 3rd, and move Headley to 2nd? Schoop gets sent down? Of course, Hardy is unlikely to accept, but it is possible.

If Hardy accepts the QO then you don't sign Headley.

The way Manny plays 3rd, would SS really be that much more stressful?

Yeah not sure injury risk is much of a factor

He injured his left knee stepping on first, and his right knee swinging the bat.

I'm guessing he will still have to run to first and swing a bat next year, so perhaps playing SS doesn't add much risk

If Manny can play a plus defensive SS the O's should move him.

Hardy has had a nice year, but most of his offensive and defensive stats have declined this year and I think that decline is going to accelerate.

Like I said earlier, Manny's health is what give me pause. Prior to the second surgery I was pretty adamant about moving him to Short for the 2015 season. Now I have to question that timeline.

The moving Manny scenario is one which may well firmly install Flaherty at short. We have no idea what will occur with Manny next year. Realistically. It sounds like more of the "Roberts at second" hope and wish strategy to me.

Archived