Chase Headley 3B & Manny SS 2015

Il BuonO

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aging SS is only 31.

Headly is 30, himself and making 10.53 million and would take at least that much to sign him.

JJ Hardy turned 32 last month.

Additionally, I remember something about Hardy wanting to be guaranteed to remain at SS for the length of his contract. If that's still the case, my man JJ can take a walk. The Orioles should not accept being locked into a future with a 34, 35, or 36 year-old shortstop.

JJ Hardy turned 32 last month.

Additionally, I remember something about Hardy wanting to be guaranteed to remain at SS for the length of his contract. If that's still the case, my man JJ can take a walk. The Orioles should not accept being locked into a future with a 34, 35, or 36 year-old shortstop.

I think he said, he would like to know, if the Orioles plan to moving him for year 2 or year 3 of his contract.

I don't recall saying he wouldn't consider moving, if it was in the best interest of the team.

Now before you slam it look at a few numbers and consider a few things. I looked at the piece that MLBTR ran this morning and haven't really thought that much about Headley in the past. However, even in a down offensive year he gets his WAR.

"Headley as about 43 runs above average at third over his career, including 16.2 runs above average this year. Due to his defensive chops and the tough offensive environment in San Diego, Headley has always posted strong fWAR numbers, rating as 3.5 wins above replacement in 2013 and 3.2 this season. His 2014 fWAR puts him in the same neighborhood as players like Evan Longoria, Edwin Encarnacion and Nelson Cruz, even in a season in which Headley is perceived as being a disappointment."

With JJ's back a recurring theme I'm not crazy about the thought of a long term deal for him. Manny has said left knee was stronger after the surgery and there's no reason to think this won't be the same with his right as well.

I think it's fair to say he won't play the same level of defense JJ has at SS but I'm willing to bet he'll play at an acceptable level within a couple years and with Headley's plus defense at 3B that makes for an above average left side.

Alright fire away.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/free-agent-stock-watch-chase-headley.html

With that kids Knee's anybody who would suggest moving Manny to SS right now is crazy JMHO.

Let's see if he can make it and entire season without having some sort of surgery.

I'd rather re-sign Hardy.

With JJ's back a recurring theme I'm not crazy about the thought of a long term deal for him. Manny has said left knee was stronger after the surgery and there's no reason to think this won't be the same with his right as well.

With that kids Knee's anybody who would suggest moving Manny to SS right now is crazy JMHO.

Let's see if he can make it and entire season without having some sort of surgery.

I'd rather re-sign Hardy.

So, a couple things. Little disingenuous for you to call me crazy and then use the over used JMHO as a get out jail free card. It's hardly humble to call someone crazy.

I covered this in subsequent posts as well as the OP. You are welcome to disagree, but Manny himself has said that his left knee feels stronger than it did before he was ever injured. He has a congenital condition and the right knee is no different. This surgery will have the same effect.

The only way he has surgery again is if it's on another part of his body.

He also rates better at 3B than at SS per DRS. So, again Manny at SS seems like a good move if that was the direction the team were headed.
TJ surgery has a success rate of about 70%. Better than the kind of surgery Manny is having, I wouldn't be surprised. Would you be willing to extend Wieters over the off season, assuming he would accept a reasonable contract, before seeing he was fully recovered and able to throw as well as he did before? If not, why would you be willing to make major decisions and financial allocations, predicated on Manny playing SS, before you had seen that he were capable of doing so.

TJ surgery has a success rate of about 70%. Better than the kind of surgery Manny is having, I wouldn't be surprised. Would you be willing to extend Wieters over the off season, assuming he would accept a reasonable contract, before seeing he was fully recovered and able to throw as well as he did before? If not, why would you be willing to make major decisions and financial allocations, predicated on Manny playing SS, before you had seen that he were capable of doing so.

TJ surgery has a success rate closer to 90%. Exactly what surgery is Manny having?

Archived