Markakis Fading

Billy Button

Possibly. Yankee Stadium seems like a bad fit for him. He's not the flashy type of FA they usually go after.

I'll guess Hanley Ramirez (big splash) or Asdrubal Cabrera (mostly LH AB's in Yankee Stadium) to the Yanks.

1) Ramirez if he doesn't stay in LA

2) trade for Tulo if they have the resources.

3) trade for Andrus if Tex likes their other MI

4) Cabrera if the Nats let him hit FA

5) Hardy

6) Ian Desmond

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
1) Ramirez if he doesn't stay in LA

2) trade for Tulo if they have the resources.

3) trade for Andrus if Tex likes their other MI

4) Cabrera if the Nats let him hit FA

5) Hardy

6) Ian Desmond

Overall, this plan is good - my philosophy is different - I put a lot of emphasis on D, maybe too much but...

1) We will not pay what Ramirez will be offered by the MFYs - not a fan of his D

2) Depleting the farm makes no sense IMO - even for Tulo.. his injury hx isn't all that impressive. But, if we could get him without it killing us, it would be great!

3) Not sure what this means - if they like their other MI's - not sure it's that simple and/or see #2) Saying that, I do like the thought and this would definitely be an excellent move

4) IMO a big reason we are where we are is the D... Cabrera doesn't do it for me.

5) He wants more than one year - we will need to go 3 - the back end may not be worth it but overall I believe he will be worth the contract as a whole. He is consistent - keeps Manny at 3B - is the anchor of the IF. Folks talk about his back (and rightfully so) but he has been the only constant in the IF this year.

6) Meh

Markakis down to a .711 OPS after a .685 OPS in 2014. Maybe he has one more hot streak in him. Maybe not. He was supposedly in the best shape of his career coming into this year. No excuses.

The QO is a moot point. Ain't happening. Do we even offer him a contract of any kind?

Buyout and a thank you. I have really enjoyed watching him and he has even made some nice plays in the OF this year, but it's at an end.

My opinion is that it's still premature to say that Markakis will definitively not be an Oriole next year. A lot of minds could be changed if he has a big post-season.

I don't see the Orioles passing on Markakis. He will get a 3 year deal here and finish out his career no matter what he does in the post-season.

When our bats don't show up, its not just his... its everyones.

My opinion is that it's still premature to say that Markakis will definitively not be an Oriole next year. A lot of minds could be changed if he has a big post-season.

I'm wondering what would a big post-season look like for Nick Markakis?

4 or 5 singles in a 3 game stretch?

He is back to not driving the ball at all.

I was actually in favor of the sentimental 3 year 25 million dollar contract, but jeez you could fairly easily replace Markakis and maybe with CD's O's career at an end you need to actually upgrade in the OF

Markakis down to a .711 OPS after a .685 OPS in 2014. Maybe he has one more hot streak in him. Maybe not. He was supposedly in the best shape of his career coming into this year. No excuses.

The QO is a moot point. Ain't happening. Do we even offer him a contract of any kind?

Nick has really hurt himself the way he has hit the last 24 games. Through August 18 he had a .770 OPS. That's a pretty solid number in 2014. In the last 24 games he has hit .147/.194/.186. That's unfathomably bad. He doesn't really have enough time to "fix it" in the 13 games remaining. The best he could really hope for is to rally back to .730-.740 territory.

No, he won't get a QO. Will he be offered a contract? Well, I do think that depends on how he finishes the season and plays in the postseason. But at this point, he may be looking at 2/$12 mm or something like that.

Guest rochester

Sure, give him a sentimental contract if he is on the bench. If not, I am not even sure he would get a decent offer outside of Baltimore, aka, how much would you offer him if he spent his career in say, San Diego (I'm not talking ballpark, etc.)

Should the O's move him down to like 2nd or 7th and let De Aza lead off at this point?

If De Aza is starting, he should be leading off. Even if Nick heats up, he still just doesn't have enough of an impact due to his lack of speed and power. In the playoffs you need someone who can leg out doubles, score on doubles, etc.

Roch says Ryan Flaherty is starting at second base tonight because Jonathan Schoop is in a 1-for-31 slump in his last eight games. If Buck is using slumps as a reason to sit players, Markakis should be riding the pine, too. In 12 games so far this month, he is 8-for-49 (.163), with no RBI's, no extra base hits, 4 walks, and only 6 runs scored. Right now, Nick is not who you want at the top of your order, or even in the lineup IMO. Put De Aza in the lead-off spot and put Cruz in RF.

Archived