Disagreeing with the front Post

jonglo

Look I realize this is a generally pointless post but I just wanted to see if anyone would argue with me....

I think Bedard is clearly the No.1 over Felix(who has all the upside in the world), and not vice versa. Give Bedard a Mariners Offense(which is mediocre) and something that resembles a bullpen(instead of a trainwreck) and Bedard's numbers are HUGELY SUPERIOR to Felix's (instead of regularly superior as is).

Sure, Felix could surpasss Bedard eventually, but if they dont hand Erik the opening day spot then they are ridiculous (now would be a good time to say I know the opening day spot means nothing... but i just dont like to hear that Bedard is "slotting right behind Felix" when Bedard is better in all facets of pitching)

I think the Mariners have made it quite clear that they intend to slate Bedard as the no. 1.

"We're at the point now where we have to do our best to make those moves for a top-of-the-rotation guy, so we can slot the rest of the rotation where it should be," he said. "For us right now, the most important thing is the top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher. Not just a No. 2, 3 or 4 guy. A No. 1 guy."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2004144219_mari250.html

I think an overlooked of this deal from the Mariners' end is that King Felix was born on April 8, 1986. Some forget how young he is, and how much pressure has been placed on him.

Maybe I overestimate it, but I think EB's presence can't but help him. As aloof as EB may be regarded, there is something to be said for EB's mental toughness and confidence, as well as his ability to really pitch and not just throw. Felix has all of the pitches and then some, and he is very close to putting it together. He just needs to learn how to pitch.

I think a overlooked of this deal from the Mariners end is that King Felix was born on April 8, 1986. MSomeforget how young he is, and how much pressure has been placed on him.

Yeah, Baltimoron, I'd just looked that up a minute before your post.

30 big league wins before his 22nd birthday is awfully impressive. Bedard had 11 minor league wins.

I compared King Felix's feat to the 8 winningest pitchers in modern Baltimore Orioles history.

Milt Pappas won 41 before turning 22.

Palmer won 23

McNally won 17

Dennis Martinez won 2

Mussina, Cuellar, Flanagan, McGregor combined for zero.

39 of Wally Bunker's 60 career wins came before age 22.

Bedard may be slotted in the #1 role but Felix is still King in my view.

This has probably been asked many times, but what's the reason they call him "King" Felix?

Edit: Sorry for posting this twice. My computer looked like it was being non responsive.

This has probably been asked many times' date=' but what's the reason they call him "King" Felix?

Edit: Sorry for posting this twice. My computer looked like it was being non responsive.[/quote']

King James. Remember Felix had a 2.67 ERA over like 84 innings as a 19 year old.

Wiki:

Hernández has been given the nickname King Felix, a title that matches the moniker of NBA phenom LeBron James. The U.S.S. Mariner weblog invented the nickname in July 2003, when he was just starting out in the minor leagues.[5] Former Mariner Joel Piñeiro said that after Hernández arrived in the major leagues, his teammates sometimes teased him about the nickname by calling him "Queen Felix".[6] Meanwhile, team CEO Howard Lincoln instructed the club's broadcasters to avoid the nickname, to reduce the pressure it might put on Hernández.[7]

Archived