Victory Lap Complete - A.L. East Champs 2014

TonySoprano

To someone who has DVR'd the game or will be doing so today -- 7th inning, Hundley's at bat where he K's...Apparently at some point they cut to a shot of the stands right before he strikes out. I was told they zoomed in on me and my friend. Guy black shirt, black backwards hat. Brunette next to me, Jones jersey

I'd love to see it.

Sorry for the crappy quality (I'm using MLB.tv) but this is the shot right before he K's. I think I see a couple people fitting your description...

Prq3MKl.png

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I have finally arrived at work and settled in, I just want to give a hat tip to all the people that were at the game last night. I was talking with my neighbor at Riverside Park this morning while walking the dog. I was informed that the crowd was heard loud and clear in Riverside, which does not typically happen. Specifically, the roar when the de Aza triple was hit and the "O'Daaay" song were mentioned by my neighbor. After watching the videos on mlb.com and espn.com, they don't really convey just how loud it was in there.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MASN posted its highest O's TV ratings ever last night with the AL East clinching win. It pulled an 11.6 rating (excluding WJZ simulcast).</p>— John Ourand (@Ourand_SBJ) <a href="

">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The final inning of the O's AL East clinching win last night had an 18.5 rating, which is a record high for a MASN Orioles quarter hour.</p>— John Ourand (@Ourand_SBJ) <a href="

">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I clicked to ask about the actual AJ victory lap... Quintin was with him, but was the other guy Jett Ruiz? If so, that is like... the greatest thing of all time.

And if you've never read this, do:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-07-07/sports/bs-sp-orioles-adam-jones-profile-0708-20120702_1_adam-jones-second-highest-paid-center-fielder-adrian-limbrick

Also one of the greatest things was the quote from Buck (via Roch) about Ubaldo:

"Ubaldo (Jimenez), we were going to pitch him about 80 pitches, tops. I went down there with all intentions of taking him out of the game, and I made the mistake of looking in his eyes. He wasn't pleading, it was like, 'Let me take a shot at one more inning. I feel OK.' And that's one of those times I thought with my heart and not my head. I was real happy for him. And his mom and dad were here. That was big. That was big for him. I thought that was bigger for him than for us. Who knows what it may mean down the road in the next 3 1/2 years."

That might be better than the Markakis GIF or Pearce and his kid... I mean, wow. Buck. Nothing else from last night makes me tear up as much as that quote.

Also one of the greatest things was the quote from Buck (via Roch) about Ubaldo:
"Ubaldo (Jimenez), we were going to pitch him about 80 pitches, tops. I went down there with all intentions of taking him out of the game, and I made the mistake of looking in his eyes. He wasn't pleading, it was like, 'Let me take a shot at one more inning. I feel OK.' And that's one of those times I thought with my heart and not my head. I was real happy for him. And his mom and dad were here. That was big. That was big for him. I thought that was bigger for him than for us
. Who knows what it may mean down the road in the next 3 1/2 years."

That might be better than the Markakis GIF or Pearce and his kid... I mean, wow. Buck. Nothing else from last night makes me tear up as much as that quote.

What an awesome quote. This is why Buck is such an awesome manager. He knows Ubaldo can absolutely help this team next year and beyond.

I clicked to ask about the actual AJ victory lap... Quintin was with him, but was the other guy Jett Ruiz? If so, that is like... the greatest thing of all time.

I bet it was. My husband noticed someone wearing a Ruiz jersey.

What a great story. Thanks for sharing.

"Ubaldo (Jimenez), we were going to pitch him about 80 pitches, tops. I went down there with all intentions of taking him out of the game, and I made the mistake of looking in his eyes. He wasn't pleading, it was like, 'Let me take a shot at one more inning. I feel OK.' And that's one of those times I thought with my heart and not my head. I was real happy for him. And his mom and dad were here. That was big. That was big for him. I thought that was bigger for him than for us. Who knows what it may mean down the road in the next 3 1/2 years."

There was a touching moment during the celebration where Buck was talking to Ubaldo in the dugout while the party was going on in the field. Have to think he was telling him to hang in there and keep grinding away. The shots of Ubaldo and his mom were nice as well.

I will say this about Ubaldo. He has not been good this season but I can tell he knows it and he's trying his hardest to improve. He's also been a great teammate by taking his demotion with class and continuing to try and help out the team without causing waves. He's an easy guy to root for.

And if you've never read this, do:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-07-07/sports/bs-sp-orioles-adam-jones-profile-0708-20120702_1_adam-jones-second-highest-paid-center-fielder-adrian-limbrick

My man-crush on Adam Jones is now complete.

The dude obviously has a talent for appreciating all the people around him, from his mentors to his friends to his fans.

Don't forget he was the only one to pay tribute to Tony Gwynn at the All Star game when MLB itself neglected to do so....because Tony was instrumental to his development as a player.

We're very lucky to have him.

Just a personal note, but I was at the clincher from 6-12pm. We were one of the very last folks out of the stadium. I was standing next to the big scoreboard when they turned it off and Eutaw went dark. Bought an AL East Champ hat there, too.

Great evening at Camden Yards. Perfect weather. Buzz throughout the stadium. Started with a fist bump with Boog while getting a sammich. Had a few beers. Great seats. Sat in the first row of Section 86, right on the Budweiser sign and next to the bullpen. Talked with Hunter, Miller, and Hundley before the game. Got to watch all of them warm up; they were throwing right at me. It must be crazy tough to face Miller. Very impressive to watch him pitch.

Pearce's HR was to my left and Paredes hit one just to my right. We boo'd the hell out of Reyes. Boo'd when Nick got hit. Cheered DOD for hitting TB. When Miller got the call you could feel the intensity; everyone was screaming. That final out was amazing. People celebrating with everyone around them. The streamers and fireworks were all around. Just watching everything and taking it all in was very special. For a team full of mutts it was so appropriate watching Jimenez win the clincher behind 3-run hits from a guy we released and a guy we just picked up. Crazy.

I was on TV (MASN) a bunch of times, including Jones' victory lap. They even zoomed in on us high-fiving. I got home at 1am and rewatched the game until 4am... and still went to work. :)

Also got high-fives from Pearce, Britton, Gausman, Berry, and the Oriole Bird. I told Pearce we were all proud of him. He pointed at me when I said it. Eventually we moved down behind the 1st base dugout and Tommy Hunter threw some beer on us. I was 10 feet from DD and yelled "Thank you" at him. He smiled and nodded. Had a similar exchange with Buck. Just watching everyone be so happy, watching the player families celebrate on the field, remembering again the players are just overgrown kids. I'd share videos and pics but really they are just lesser quality than the stuff already out there. Such a neat time and I'll not forget it.

Archived