Christian Walker to be called up by the O's today

xian4

Steve Pearce can't be rested unless Christian Walker is called up? Are we really that short on players who can play 1B?

We are when we are also likely going to rest Hardy, Markakis and Jones in the process, and will need other bench players to fill their spots.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not about service time. It's about options. He doesn't need to be added to the 40 man until 2015. Now, this spring when he's sent to Norfolk that burns one option what wouldn't have been used otherwise. If he's injured or underperforms the next two years. he can't be sent down in spring training 2018 without being waived. Obviously, the O's don't think that will be an issue.

I think the 40 man is the only issue. There's a very good chance he's on the Norfolk express next year, so he'll probably use an option regardless.

Schoop put up a .697 OPS in half a year in AAA last season. That doesn't cry out that he probably could have used more time in AAA?

I didn't complain when he opened the season in the bigs. However, he was clearly rushed.

Maybe he was rushed. But the rule of thumb has always been that a guy gets called up when he's better than all of the other options available. At least among teams that have something to play for. The 2007 Orioles could have left him in the minors a looooog time.

It's not about service time. It's about options. He doesn't need to be added to the 40 man until 2015. Now, this spring when he's sent to Norfolk that burns one option what wouldn't have been used otherwise. If he's injured or underperforms the next two years. he can't be sent down in spring training 2018 without being waived. Obviously, the O's don't think that will be an issue.

If the Orioles are worried about being able to send a 27-year-old to the minors four years from now... I think Duquette has decided that if Walker isn't good enough to play at 27 he's likely never going to get there, and I agree. Four years at AAA is going seriously off track.

I didnt think sept. callup took an option away.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Makes sense with Davis out. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBRosterMoves">@MLBRosterMoves</a>: The <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> select INF Christian Walker from Triple-A Norfolk.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>O's were torn on what to do with 1B Christian Walker, because they didn't have to put him on 40-man this winter. But need is immediate.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Probably not a regular 1b long-term. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/KBau35">@KBau35</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/keithlaw">@keithlaw</a> thoughts on Walker?</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/512305998774960130">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

What? No.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Walker has always been known as a good hitter, but not necessarily a guy with plus power. His power obviously improved this year, but I would still not expect him to be a big power guy in the majors. I think he is more of a 20 HR guy than a 30-35 HR guy. And that is fine with me.

Someone asked about his defense; he was always a solid defensive 1B, but I heard that he has improved there as well this year. Although I was a little surprised to hear that he was called up, I am excited to see him.

No real surprise, but Law just tweeted that he doesn't think Walker is a regular 1B long term.

I can understand that. There are a good amount of people that feel that way, but there are also plenty of people that feel that he is going to be a good player. I have always liked him, but I feel a lot better about him now after the positive strides he has made this year. I suppose we will see.

The dude has really good power to RF and CF. He learned to turn on pitches this year. In our ballpark, he should eventually be a 30+ homer guy, IMO. Of course, that assumes he can hit well enough to be a regular but I'm pretty convinced that he's got plenty of power.

That would be fine with me too. :)

I think he has a pretty high floor, meaning that at worst, he is probably going to be a solid ML player. I don't know what his ceiling is, but I think he can stick around the majors for a while.

Archived