Leaving out Kevin Gausman from the PO rotation not smart

Oriolesallday

Guys, I don't have an axe to grind here but the vilification and name calling on this thread is outrageous. Personally, I would be very receptive to Jimenez being part of the playoff rotation. We have no ace. If he continues to hit 94-95 on his last start, he could be our best pitcher. There are a ton of variables in play, many of them intangible. Can we please state our opinions without personally attacking those who disagree? There is no clear answer hear, therefore there is no reason to condensed or attack.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tillman and Ubaldo have more then their share of 30+ pitch innings.

I hate watching Ubaldo pitch also and way more so than Gausman. I don't like it when Tillman runs up his pitch count either but he seems to pitch out of jams better than Ubaldo or Gausman by having fewer strike outs and making hitters put the ball in play .

I hate watching Ubaldo pitch also and way more so than Gausman. I don't like it when Tillman runs up his pitch count either but he seems to pitch out of jams better than Ubaldo or Gausman by having fewer strike outs and making hitters put the ball in play .

Did you just say that Tillman is better at pitching out of jams because he strikes out fewer batters?

By the way, Gausman is currently dealing. Personally, I don't think there is a good answer here based on performance. As a manager of an adult team that has won 3 championships in a row, given equal performance, I would make a judgment on the intangibles like who wants it most, who is confident, who has done well in the past. Yada, yada, yada. It's not about whip, war or era+ at this point. Some times, it's about the intangibles that none of us know better than Buck.

Did you just say that Tillman is better at pitching out of jams because he strikes out fewer batters?

What I meant is he gets outs with fewer pitches than Gausman seems to and IMO

A one or two pitch out is better in most cases than a strikeout as it conserves pitches and reduces pitch counts

Guys, I don't have an axe to grind here but the vilification and name calling on this thread is outrageous. Personally, I would be very receptive to Jimenez being part of the playoff rotation. We have no ace. If he continues to hit 94-95 on his last start, he could be our best pitcher. There are a ton of variables in play, many of them intangible. Can we please state our opinions without personally attacking those who disagree? There is no clear answer hear, therefore there is no reason to condensed or attack.

He still hasn't pitched much this month and he only went 5 innings each start. Now, with a deep bullpen that could work in the postseason but he still had some command issues in each start. That start vs Toronto he was close to being pulled after 2 innings. I also don't see how he could be a relief guy in the postseason with those command issues. He could be a long man but you really don't have a true long man in important playoff games.

By the way, Gausman is currently dealing. Personally, I don't think there is a good answer here based on performance. As a manager of an adult team that has won 3 championships in a row, given equal performance, I would make a judgment on the intangibles like who wants it most, who is confident, who has done well in the past. Yada, yada, yada. It's not about whip, war or era+ at this point. Some times, it's about the intangibles that none of us know better than Buck.

His major problem is his pitch count as he throws so many pitches he seldom

Makes it past 5 or 6 innings

He still hasn't pitched much this month and he only went 5 innings each start. Now, with a deep bullpen that could work in the postseason but he still had some command issues in each start. That start vs Toronto he was close to being pulled after 2 innings. I also don't see how he could be a relief guy in the postseason with those command issues. He could be a long man but you really don't have a true long man in important playoff games.

The defense cost him an inning tonight.

I don't expect Norris or Gonzo to give us anymore than that in the playoffs to be honest. I don't think it is crazy to start Kevin. I doubt Buck announces his Game 3, certainly not his Game 4 starter until the first two games are over. If he doesn't use Kevin in relief the first two games he would certainly be a candidate.

All of our pitchers are prone to big pitch innings. None of them have scary stuff. We are starting Tilman who has a history of ****ting the bed in the first inning. Also, in the playoffs, given our bullpen, I wouldn't extend anyone. The strength of this team is our bullpen. In the playoffs get six out of the starters and get them out unless they are dominating.

Archived