This message board needs to take a collective step back

Sanfran327

Buck played in to the story line IMO. He basically gave Jeter the opportunity with a bad pitcher and the rest is history. Everyone got what they wanted media-wise.

Exactly this.

And I think I'm perfectly within my rights to not be okay with that. He played that last inning the way Sam Perlozzo would have.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one's saying the Os will get swept in the Division Series because of what happened. People are saying that this tremendously sucked because it's That Stupid F-ing Jeter Game (Part Whatever). I would have LOVED to see this game ruined for him and his team, just as the Sunday Night Baseball game was. Can't win 'em all, though a lot of folks should have done a better job to make it happen, and Showalter had the last best chance. That's all. Tomorrow it's all about Toronto and beyond.

Important dates in US History:

April 19, 1775: The battle of Lexington and Concorde marks the start of the Revolutionary War.

July 4, 1776: The Continental Congress approves the Declaration of Independence.

October 29, 1929: "Black Tuesday", the infamous beginning to the long slide into the great depression.

December 7, 1941: The Japanese attack and destroy much of the U.S. fleet at Pearl Harbor.

November 22, 1963: President Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas.

September 11, 2001: Terrorists attack and destroy the World Trade Center towers.

September 25, 2014: Derek Jeter singles in winning run in his final at bat at Yankee Stadium

Exactly this.

And I think I'm perfectly within my rights to not be okay with that. He played that last inning the way Sam Perlozzo would have.

Hey, don't get me wrong. You and everyone else have every right to think and feel how you want. I'm just shocked by the absolute carnage in the game thread. For me, I smiled and nodded, and was happy to never have to see him on the field again.

We're on to bigger and better things, while they're the ones going home for a change. I don't mind someone else getting such a good moment. Perhaps it will put us in good favor with the sports gods (which are now undeniably real).

Oh I agree there. I just think he's wrong to call it a great moment in US history.We'll be seeing it for years to come and I think that's why it poes a lot of people. Its significance is going to be greatly overstated.

It would be more significant if it was his last game period. As it is, it could be just a footnote especially if the O's go on to win the WS.

It would be more significant if it was his last game period. As it is, it could be just a footnote especially if the O's go on to win the WS.

All it really means in the grand scheme of things is that the O's won't set a high for number of wins in my life time this year. I am of course going to hate seeing it in the years to come but then again I hate seeing the famous Jeter "flip" and "Mr. November" but remind myself that Jeter did not win the WS that year.

Just wait until the REVISIONIST history hits the books in about 50 years.

"Derek Jeter secretly switched uniforms in the top of the 9th, and managed to come to the plate twice, hitting two home runs and tying the game. This gave him the opportunity to switch back to pinstripes and win the game in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off single. Praise be to Jeter."

Hey, don't get me wrong. You and everyone else have every right to think and feel how you want. I'm just shocked by the absolute carnage in the game thread. For me, I smiled and nodded, and was happy to never have to see him on the field again.

We're on to bigger and better things, while they're the ones going home for a change. I don't mind someone else getting such a good moment. Perhaps it will put us in good favor with the sports gods (which are now undeniably real).

JMO....but I just didn't think it was that bad....just severe disappointment with the BP usage and the non walk to Jeter. I have definitely seen worse in game threads here.....just not as much the past few years. :D

Buck has been winning games with Jimmy Paredes and Kelly Johnson. I think he actually thought Meek could get the job done and he probably had his mind made up not to use the A team relievers, except maybe Britton for a save.

I was considering this too...could it really be just BP prep...getting the right pitchers in at the right time and still assuming the staff we had would do the job....

Just wait until the REVISIONIST history hits the books in about 50 years.

"Derek Jeter secretly switched uniforms in the top of the 9th, and managed to come to the plate twice, hitting two home runs and tying the game. This gave him the opportunity to switch back to pinstripes and win the game in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off single. Praise be to Jeter."

To this day, there are people that believe that the Red Sox were winning the game when the ball went through Buckner's legs, and that the Mets scored 2 runs (the tying run, and the winning run) on the play.

The fact is that the Red Sox had already blown the game when the ball went through Buckner's legs. The Mets had already tied the game and ripped the hearts out of the Red Sox. Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley deserve more blame than does Buckner.

To this day, there are people that believe that the Red Sox were winning the game when the ball went through Buckner's legs, and that the Mets scored 2 runs (the tying run, and the winning run) on the play.

The fact is that the Red Sox had already blown the game when the ball went through Buckner's legs. The Mets had already tied the game and ripped the hearts out of the Red Sox. Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley deserve more blame than does Buckner.

The power of collective memory. Kind of like how Alex Gonzalez booted a routine DP in the Bartman game.

Why should we be happy that the Orioles lost a game? Why would we want to be on the wrong end of a "storybook moment" for another team? Especially after the team fought like hell to get back into the game?

I love Buck, but putting the worst pitcher in his bullpen in the game after his offense rallied from three runs down in the top of the ninth was a terrible decision.

I'm with you Three Run. After the great comeback in the top of the 9th--after Orioles took the game back from the Jeter Farewell--you make the Y's earn it against the best you have, which wasn't Meek. The O's would have really made a statement with a comeback, extra-inning victory this particular game that they are a team that refuses to lose, ever.

Archived