Nick Markakis: 2.1 rWAR, 2.5fWAR (valued at $13.9 mm)

Frobby

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. I think Duquette can find better ways to spend 15 million dollars.

He's not going to have to spend $15 mm if he wants to keep Nick. I'm not going to judge right now how DD should spend his money. There are many moving pieces. I'll just say, as I already did, that there are a lot of teams with a strong need for a solid corner OF.

For a mid market team, you can't give long term contracts to aging veterains just because they're popular players. When you have options on the team already that can do the same job at a fraction of the cost, you gotta take it... and thats the case with the Orioles having both De Aza and Lough.

That money can be spent in much better ways, like on players in positions we can't replace easily (Hardy).

For a mid market team, you can't give long term contracts to aging veterains just because they're popular players. When you have options on the team already that can do the same job at a fraction of the cost, you gotta take it... and thats the case with the Orioles having both De Aza and Lough.

That money can be spent in much better ways, like on players in positions we can't replace easily (Hardy).

So close, so very close, then you had to add one more word.

I assume you mean Hardy? He's been a consistent 3 WAR player each of the last 3 years, and the drop off if we let him go wouldn't be pretty. Even if he drops a game in the next 3 years, it would be better than throwing Flaherty or someone like that out there to play everyday at SS, especially since I think his salary would only be something like 3 years/40 million.

He's not going to have to spend $15 mm if he wants to keep Nick. I'm not going to judge right now how DD should spend his money. There are many moving pieces. I'll just say, as I already did, that there are a lot of teams with a strong need for a solid corner OF.

You don't think Nick will want 15 for three years? I do.

I assume you mean Hardy? He's been a consistent 3 WAR player each of the last 3 years, and the drop off if we let him go wouldn't be pretty. Even if he drops a game in the next 3 years, it would be better than throwing Flaherty or someone like that out there to play everyday at SS, especially since I think his salary would only be something like 3 years/40 million.

I'm more worried about injuries and injuries related falloff.

The Orioles are not a team who should be volunteering fair free agent dollar value to many players, especially not easily replaceable league averagish players in my opinion. The smart move to me is letting someone else pay him what he's worth. We have lough and de Aza in line to replace him and both are ~2 win players in full time duty as well. Lough can be as valuable as Markakis for 550k.

I'm in this camp as well. Even if you think Markakis will be the better player next year, and he may be, the difference in production is unlikely going to be significant enough to justify the difference in cost. Love Markakis, but that money would be better spent elsewhere.

Lough, Pearce, Jones, De Aza as our outfield with Pearce also getting time at 1B/DH.

I don't know if both players can be kept within the Orioles' budget constraints, and if the O's have to choose, I'd choose Hardy. But I think its foolish to think that a team that has been a pretty strong contender for the last three years can just treat its key players as if they are interchangeable parts. Breaking up a winning formula carries a lot of risk. I'm also pretty tired of people characterizing 30-31 year old players as though they are 38-39.

I don't know if both players can be kept within the Orioles' budget constraints, and if the O's have to choose, I'd choose Hardy. But I think its foolish to think that a team that has been a pretty strong contender for the last three years can just treat its key players as if they are interchangeable parts. Breaking up a winning formula carries a lot of risk. I'm also pretty tired of people characterizing 30-31 year old players as though they are 38-39.

I'm tired of folks ignoring things like reoccurring shoulder and back issues.

Archived