Nick Markakis: 2.1 rWAR, 2.5fWAR (valued at $13.9 mm)

Frobby

I don't know if both players can be kept within the Orioles' budget constraints, and if the O's have to choose, I'd choose Hardy. But I think its foolish to think that a team that has been a pretty strong contender for the last three years can just treat its key players as if they are interchangeable parts. Breaking up a winning formula carries a lot of risk. I'm also pretty tired of people characterizing 30-31 year-old players as though they are 38-39.

In December of 1965, you were deemed "an old 30" by Bill DeWitt, and subsequently traded to the Orioles.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19651210&id=-G0sAAAAIBAJ&sjid=s8sEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7344,2138752

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking about potential Markakis replacements, Lough is one guy who is never given any love. If you weren't the kind of person to keep up with WAR, would you ever guess his value was almost as high as Markakis' in 1/3 the at bats? He had a 1.6 rWAR and a 1.7 fWAR. All we heard all year is how bad he is and he was playing his way off the team... but he just gets the job done in ways that aren't as visible.

You don't think Nick will want 15 for three years? I do.

No, I don't. Not to stay in Baltimore.

"I tell people all the time, I've made a good bit of money already. It's not about the money, it's about being somewhere, wanting to be somewhere, being comfortable and taking pride in being with that team and that organization. I think the motivation for me this year is being healthy, feeling strong and going out there and helping this team win a World Series."

"In a perfect world, I'd like to [stay here],'' he said. "A lot of people play this game for the wrong reasons. A lot of people play it where the money is. I get a bigger satisfaction being with the same team your whole career. Not many people get to do that. Not many people get to say that. To be able to do that would be a pretty cool experience. It would be something special to me."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-02-19/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-column-0220-20140219_1_nick-markakis-orioles-ed-smith-stadium

I mean, I don't know how much clearer the guy could be.

Talking about potential Markakis replacements, Lough is one guy who is never given any love. If you weren't the kind of person to keep up with WAR, would you ever guess his value was almost as high as Markakis' in 1/3 the at bats? He had a 1.6 rWAR and a 1.7 fWAR. All we heard all year is how bad he is and he was playing his way off the team... but he just gets the job done in ways that aren't as visible.

Lough has been very valuable in a part-time role, being carefully shielded from LH pitching (90% of his plate appearances have been vs. RHP). He snuck up on people who wrote him off when he had a .434 OPS at the end of May. But I think his good results since then are a reflection of how Buck has used him.

I really don't think the "how much is Nick worth" conversation has changed all that much since the last thread on the subject.

Be a shame to see him go, but I'd prep the car if he wanted anything more that 8-10 million for a couple more years. And I'd at least have a cab company on the line if he wanted 10.

O's should let the market percolate on Nick. I don't think there will much of one. If the O's pay anything above 3/30, I think they will be bidding against themselves. I do think they will resign him but I'm hoping Duquette gets him at HIS (Duquette's) price.

I do think Markakis is the most easily replaceable of Cruz, Hardy, and himself. He'll also be the one who doesn't drive the hardest bargain. Yeah, part of that is that he wants to be here but I think the other part is that there aren't teams beating down the door for a 15 homer, no speed, corner outfielder, who's had back to back mediocre seasons at age 31.

I think you'll be surprised how many teams have an interest in signing a guy as reliable and durable as Nick. No point arguing about it, we will find out soon enough, and have better things to worry about right now.

I think you keep De Aza in LF, resign Kakes to 3/30 and keep him in RF (Knows that Wall like the back of his hand).

- Make QO to Cruz, but let him walk most likely.

- Resign Hardy (3/36 or 4/44)..maybe I do 4/48 with last year having buy out

Davis is really the one that is hard to pin point...

Here is the deal with Nick... I can't see the Orioles voiding his last season and then offering a QO offer. Something just doesn't seem quite right about that.

1) We don't want to pay you 17.5M for next year

2) Here is 2M for the buyout

3) Here is 15.5M for a QO

4) We know you most likely won't take the QO because we told you we don't want you

5) We know you'll have a hard time in FA with the draft pick attached, but we don't think you've got the gonads to accept the QO

I don't think it looks good for the Os in this scenerio. It's almost worse than firing someone over the phone.

Just my opinion

Nick provides value in that he doesn't have a big differential in performance against LH and RH pitchers. That's why he piles up so many plate appearances. If Nick goes and you give more starts to Lough and De Aza, you're going to have a drop-off against lefties and/or use up more roster spots to back them up with righties who may not be terrific in the field, like Delmon.

There's been talk in this thread about the Yankees' possible interest in Nick. I don't see it. They have three returning veteran outfielders, and I doubt they want to sign a high-priced guy like Markakis to back them up or otherwise put into the mix. If they were going to add a corner OF, they would want a power hitter like Cruz. They have much greater needs at SS, 2B, 3B (where the A-Rod question is looming), backup 1B, and both starting relief pitching. Things may change, but as of now the two biggest spenders, the Yankees and Dodgers, have no real need for Nick. The same is true of the Red Sox.

There's been talk in this thread about the Yankees' possible interest in Nick. I don't see it. They have three returning veteran outfielders, and I doubt they want to sign a high-priced guy like Markakis to back them up or otherwise put into the mix. If they were going to add a corner OF, they would want a power hitter like Cruz. They have much greater needs at SS, 2B, 3B (where the A-Rod question is looming), backup 1B, and both starting relief pitching. Things may change, but as of now the two biggest spenders, the Yankees and Dodgers, have no real need for Nick. The same is true of the Red Sox.

The Yankees "need" a power bat in RF, but that is true of just about any team in this era of baseball. Markakis isn't going to be that "high-priced," especially compared to the Yankees. He allows them to fill a need in RF, while not breaking the bank so they can address those other needs you listed. While they might not sign him, I think they would have interest, and he would be a decent fit for them.

Someone asked the question not so long ago. If the O's had De Aza and Lougn and no one else, and Markakis had never been an Oriole, would the O's be interested in an outfielder who profiled like Markakis for a 3/30 type of contract?

I think the answer is that no one would be interested.

Heck, I didn't even want Choo.

I could see the White Sox being interested in Markakis. They badly need a left handed bat to play the outfield. I also think Nick would be a pretty good buy for the Yankees. They wouldn't need to spend an obscene amount' date=' he would give their lineup some OBP, and his defensive weaknesses would be neutralized by the short ground to cover in right.[/quote']

Didn't the sox just ship us a LH outfield bat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Yankees "need" a power bat in RF' date=' but that is true of just about any team in this era of baseball. Markakis isn't going to be that "high-priced," especially compared to the Yankees. He allows them to fill a need in RF, while not breaking the bank so they can address those other needs you listed. While they might not sign him, I think they would have interest, and he would be a decent fit for them.[/quote']

Beltran is the Yankee RF. Their DH spot is filled with ARod.

Archived