Twins Fire Manager for the First Time Since 1986

OFFNY

o

Ron Gardenhire was fired as Twins manager today.

Gardenhire was the first Twins manager to be fired since 1986, when Ray Miller was fired and replaced by interim manager Tom Kelly.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1665&dat=19860912&id=el0bAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SU4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6854,2223063

Kelly was eventually upgraded from interim manager to permanent manager in 1987, where he presided over 2 World Championship teams (1987 and 1991,) the first world championship teams for the franchise since they were known as the Washington Senators in 1924.

In Gardenhire's 13 seasons as Twins manager, he presided over winning teams in 8 out of his first 9 seasons, including 6 A.L. Central division championships (2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2010.)

Gardenhire also became the 4th manager ever to manage four straight 90-loss seasons with the same team. The others were Connie Mack of the Philadelphia Athletics (nine), Zack Taylor of the St. Louis Browns (four), and the previously mentioned Tom Kelly of the Twins (four.)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11612667/minnesota-twins-fire-manager-ron-gardenhire

Two managers in my lifetime, That's pretty impressive. Anyhow I always thought Gardenhire was a very good manager and I hope for his sake he gets another shot in the bigs because he is very good at what he does but he hasn't had alot of talent to work with in Minnesota lately. Hearing the Astros are hiring A.J Hinch. Arizona has a manager's vacancy too and I'm sure there will be some more firings too. Glad the O's have their guy and I think it's his job as long as he wants it.

Two managers in my lifetime, That's pretty impressive. Anyhow I always thought Gardenhire was a very good manager and I hope for his sake he gets another shot in the bigs because he is very good at what he does but he hasn't had alot of talent to work with in Minnesota lately. Hearing the Astros are hiring A.J Hinch. Arizona has a manager's vacancy too and I'm sure there will be some more firings too. Glad the O's have their guy and I think it's his job as long as he wants it.

I like our guy.

Archived