GAME THREAD: A.L. Wildcard Playoff Game

OFFNY

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Sheehan's stealing my material.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Backing up a second... Why the hell wasn't Butler on second on the batted ball to begin with? Throw went into third and was offline.</p>— Joe Sheehan (@joe_sheehan) <a href="

">October 1, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Denny Mathews, the Royals radio announcer is awful. He has about as much excitement as a mortician reading train schedules.

Yeah, but he's the ORIGINAL "Voice of the Royals" since the team was called the Royals in 1969! In certain jobs involving the public, companies can't get rid of old farts if they won't go willingly, because it would be a huge PR hit if the guy says "I wasn't ready, but they forced me out".

I'm not saying it's bad that they keep old farts around until they smell like they were dealt by Hammurabi. Their age is totally irrelevant IMO. But if they're not a particularly good announcer, you might wish for these types of people to have less.... tenure in their position, i.e., to make it possible that they might be removed due to job performance.

On the other hand, I expect Joe Angel to be every bit the classy gentleman he is right now, once he is older than Mathews. Angel is already about 66 (he was 43 in 1991 (source)) and he's much more entertaining than Mathews.

Basically, right now, age and tenure (probably tenure counts more than age) contribute to making it significantly harder for you to get canned. I don't think those factors should be a disadvantage either, but they should just be neutral factors. Some of the least entertaining announcers on MASN / WBAL are better than Mathews, IMO.

o

One-game playoffs are really hard on the fans of the respective teams.

I know that I was going crazy 2 years ago, when we played the Rangers in Texas.

I was going to say. Even tho we're 1-0 these are BRUTAL games. For players and fans.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Holiday is clearly swinging through too many pitches, but he's also been getting killed by his good eye. Umpires have been absolutely killing him on pitches out of the zone being called strikes putting him in a bad hitting counts.  The good news is the Orioles are winning while he's been taking these lumps. He has looked overmatched at times and at other times he's been just unlucky with bad umpiring. I think he gest until 1 May to turn it around and then they have to consider giving him a mental break if he's still getting dominated.  He's going to be fine overall and I'm not concerned. Am I little surprised he's been this bad, sure. I don't think anyone thought with his numbers in AAA that he would be this bad at the very start. Still, it's very early to draw any conclusions.
    • Yeah, and if there are ever minimal injuries at the same time, much more than one person. Only 13 spots for 17 guys: Locks (Some have options, but obviously won’t be) 1. Burnes 2. Rodriguez 3. Bradish 4. Kimbrel 5. Cano 6. Coulombe Options 7. Means (*but could reject the option and elect FA) 8. Kremer 9. Wells 10. Akin 11. Tate Out of options 12. Perez 13. Irvin 14. Suárez  15. Webb 16. Baumann 17. Ramirez   I’d DFA those last 3 names before Suárez if it came down to it, but likely there would be some combination of ILs & options, even if Tate is the only clear option candidate now. Perhaps Wells gets optioned to work back into a RP but that would be short term.  I think all of our out of options guys would get claimed, except perhaps Ramirez - but the Orioles traded cash considerations for him to jump the waiver priority so clearly they think he would have gotten claimed before them. 
    • I think everyone just needs to relax.   If we're still having this conversation in 2 weeks, then maybe they will send him back down.  I'm guessing that the kid figures it out and will be fine.  
    • I’m not sure what we were to expect. But expecting some struggle is realistic. 
    • I think many were expecting him to come up and not miss a beat.
    • Not a chance. Someone will take a look at him in their pen if the Orioles try to move him now. Somebody will ultimately need to be sent down, go on the Jimenez pothole IL, or get DFA'd.   
  • Popular Contributors