Memo to Those Attending ALDS Game 1: Let's Give Nick a Standing O in His First Playoff AB

Frobby

I'll stand for Nick for his long tenure and on the field contributions to the O's...I don't know, maybe he's just an introvert...

He is an introvert. If you read the Baltimore Sun article (it is in another thread) the guy doesn't even have an email address. I can understand a guy like this, because I am the same way. Except for the email part.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick has been a solid player, never slacked or feigned injury even when we were terrible, has been a quiet leader in the clubhouse, has been loyal to the team and the city. He got choked up when we clinched and clearly he cares and is glad to have the opportunity. Cheer the man.

You same Nick who cares so much about the fans that he was the only Oriole to avoid the press today before the workout? Good player who gives it his all on the field, but I prefer to hold my standing O's for the players who show some love back. To each is own though.

Sometimes, when you don't have anything nice to say...

Sometimes, when you don't have anything nice to say...

Why? What did I say that was so mean. I'm just saying that for me personally, I don't feel any more happy for Nick then any other Orioles. I appreciate him as a ballplayer, but I've never felt a special connection with Markakis as an Oriole, mainly because he's so "business like." The media was there today to get the good news out about Markakis getting a chance to play in his first playoff game. The media is there for the fans. When every single other player was in the lockroom talking, it just seems very anti-fan of the guy to avoid the clubhouse when it was open to the press. Some reporters were planning to run a story for their audience about him, instead, Markakis decided they weren't important enough for his time.

Also, don't forget that I hold standing ovations very close. I only believe in using them for special occasions. In my opinion, I'd rather stand for Adam Jones who has been a leader in the clubhouse and who clearly loves the fans as much as they love him. Of course I'll be the press box so i won't be cheering for anyone, but either way, I guess I just don't hold the same affinity towards Markakis due to the fact that I truly don't think he cares much about the fans. Does he care about winning and playing hard, absolutely, but if he cared at all about the fans he wouldn't be so aloof towards the media that represents the fans.

Lots of players are introverts, but they realize that the fans are the ones that pay their salary. The clubhouse is open for one hour before games, it's not hard to sit there and answer a few questions.

Don't get all the love. We paid him off, he's been mediocre. Jones is far more important for the team image and as a leader, at least publicly. Most compliments of Markakis start with "professional hitter" or something equally faux-enthusiastic. Glad he's in the playoffs, he should send Steve Pearce a thank-you card.

Why? What did I say that was so mean. I'm just saying that for me personally, I don't feel any more happy for Nick then any other Orioles. I appreciate him as a ballplayer, but I've never felt a special connection with Markakis as an Oriole, mainly because he's so "business like." The media was there today to get the good news out about Markakis getting a chance to play in his first playoff game. The media is there for the fans. When every single other player was in the lockroom talking, it just seems very anti-fan of the guy to avoid the clubhouse when it was open to the press. Some reporters were planning to run a story for their audience about him, instead, Markakis decided they weren't important enough for his time.

Also, don't forget that I hold standing ovations very close. I only believe in using them for special occasions. In my opinion, I'd rather stand for Adam Jones who has been a leader in the clubhouse and who clearly loves the fans as much as they love him. Of course I'll be the press box so i won't be cheering for anyone, but either way, I guess I just don't hold the same affinity towards Markakis due to the fact that I truly don't think he cares much about the fans. Does he care about winning and playing hard, absolutely, but if he cared at all about the fans he wouldn't be so aloof towards the media that represents the fans.

Lots of players are introverts, but they realize that the fans are the ones that pay their salary. The clubhouse is open for one hour before games, it's not hard to sit there and answer a few questions.

Eddie Murry didn't care about the press either. It appears you are taking it personally. Us O's fans really don't care if he did or didn't talk to the press.

Oh, and what is he going to say that means anything. It will be the usual nonsense you hear from players. I respect him for not playing into that game, and focusing on doing his job.

Don't get all the love. We paid him off, he's been mediocre. Jones is far more important for the team image and as a leader, at least publicly. Most compliments of Markakis start with "professional hitter" or something equally faux-enthusiastic. Glad he's in the playoffs, he should send Steve Pearce a thank-you card.

I feel the same way... He's an average RF at best who's been paid far more then he deserves over the years. Do people like and respect him a lot simply because he's been here for a while? I don't see why he's any more deserving of a standing ovation than any other starter we have.

If I was going, I'd be giving a standing ovation to Jones as well. He's the real leader and face of the franchise.

Eddie Murry didn't care about the press either. It appears you are taking it personally. Us O's fans really don't care if he did or didn't talk to the press.

Oh, and what is he going to say that means anything. It will be the usual nonsense you hear from players. I respect him for not playing into that game, and focusing on doing his job.

Eddie Murray hit approximately one trillion home runs give or take.

Also who cares about the media? They don't represent me as a fan and therefore I could not care less if he chooses to speak to the media.

Media does not equal fans, let's get that straight right now.

You are wrong. The media are the ones that do represent the fans in press conferences and during open lockeroom sessions. we ask questions that allow us to get out stories and give the fan a little more insight on their players. I realize it's hard for some of you to understand this.

Look, I get information and have access to the players so i can get things out to the fans. I'm not in the lockeroom so I can hang out with the players. I realize that you may not always like what i have to say, but I'm giving my honest opinion. You get all defensive and tell me i need to learn about introverts and that I have a gripe for "no reason," but I'm sharing my opinion and what I know about players.

I'm sorry if this hurts certain fanboys and girls who think there favorite players love them as much as you love them. I hate to break it to you, but most don't. Most appreciate the fans, and some even love the admiration they get from fans, but let's not confuse that for them caring for you as much as you care for them.

The longer I've been in the business, the less of a "fan" I have become of most players, not because they are bad people, but rather because they are just people like you and I. they just happen to have a skill that allows them to play a game at a very high level and make a lot of money doing so. When I put my "reporter" hat on, i have to give the fans what i know, and sometimes that's to tell them that a guy is great (Ie: Caleb Joseph) and when a guy might be less then affable (Ie: Erik Bedard).

It's nothing personal so no need to try and get personal towards me

Some guys are just baseball players. That's enough for me.

How about we cheer all of them, and not cherry pick? Cruz has baggage, but we all love him for what he has done. Flaherty is usually fairly lame, but he steps up when you least expect it. Pearce was on the scrap heap. Lough, De Aza....who the **** are these guys? We have a great group of guys. I couldn't care less if one/all are quirky. Bring a championship back to this city!!!

Archived