Memo to Those Attending ALDS Game 1: Let's Give Nick a Standing O in His First Playoff AB

Frobby

He was an obvious [language] about it and asked out of games! Terrible comparison and you know it! Ridiculous.

Sounds like to Tony, not talking to the media means "being an obvious [language] about it." Difference is Bedard had the productive cred to do it. Not that he should. But that's how the world works.

Really don't care about asking not to pitch the 8th/9th in a meaningless game for a meaningless team.

Yet, according to Tony he doesn't care about the fans because he didn't talk to the media.

Tony can speak for himself but bottom line is Markakis is paid a ton, doesn't produce enough, doesn't really have much of a fan presence. So, what does he do, exactly? Oh, he's been here a while. Which is basically the same reason so many people liked Brian Roberts and wanted to sign him as late as this very summer. I don't vote for incumbents just because they're incumbents...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought that Erik Bedard might be on the spectrum. The media would complain that he would answer their questions with a simple "yes/no" instead of full answers, which sounds an awful lot like the behavior of someone with Asperger's. As one myself, I've probably pissed a few people off in my day by doing that.

Eddie Murry didn't care about the press either. It appears you are taking it personally. Us O's fans really don't care if he did or didn't talk to the press.

Oh, and what is he going to say that means anything. It will be the usual nonsense you hear from players. I respect him for not playing into that game, and focusing on doing his job.

Not in the least bit. I wasn't even going to talk to Nick becasue i know it won't be worth much. i just know several reporters who were planning to run stories and wanted to get some quotes for him. It's fine if you don't care what he has to say, but some fans would like to hear it and that's what the media is there to do. One of the dumbest arguments that gets made around here sometimes (and lord knows I heard it a 1000 times when I would say even worse stuff about Bedard) is when fans say, they could care less if a player talks to the press or not like the press is causing the problem. Over the years, I've reported on lots of things that OHers have found interesting that i got deirectly from players. Insights towards their thought processes and such. Lots of OHers like this stuff because it gives them more of a connection towards the players.

Now maybe you don't care and that's fine as well, but the last thing I am doing is taking shots at Markakis unfairly. I'm reporting what I saw today and gave my opinion that i would give him a standing ovation. So what? I like Caleb Joseph a lot but I wouldn't give him a standing ovation when he comes up to bat either. does that make me a bad guy towards Caleb as well?

Some guys are just baseball players. That's enough for me.

That's my sentiment. I really don't care about their personality or who they hang out with, if they are a good player that has been loyal to the organization then they deserve respect. Yes, Nick got paid for that loyalty, but he also didn't leave years ago just for the money. That tells me something about his character.

The media has given me all I need to know about Nick. That he's a quiet, hard working, good dude that cares about the Orioles and posts up everyday.

So he didn't talk to you and your reporter buddies today and that's supposed to make me change my mind about him? Please. He gives time after nearly every game. He took part in the fan video.

Like I care he didn't talk to you today.

Why are you being a total jerk about this? I don't care if you care that he talked to me and my "reporter buddies." Look, I realize you a fanboy. You are going to have this kind of attitude, but to take it out on me when I've been very clear about this is getting old. I'm fine if you want to give him a standing ovation. I'm fine if you want to paint your face and hug your Markakis bobblehead, I just gave an opinion and some information. If you don't think the media reperesents the fans then we have a difference of opinion.

At this point though, you are acting childish and immature I'm done with you. I'd rather go talk to people who can have a conversation without getting all bent out of shape like I made fun of their momma or something.

Not in the least bit. I wasn't even going to talk to Nick becasue i know it won't be worth much. i just know several reporters who were planning to run stories and wanted to get some quotes for him. It's fine if you don't care what he has to say, but some fans would like to hear it and that's what the media is there to do. One of the dumbest arguments that gets made around here sometimes (and lord knows I heard it a 1000 times when I would say even worse stuff about Bedard) is when fans say, they could care less if a player talks to the press or not like the press is causing the problem. Over the years, I've reported on lots of things that OHers have found interesting that i got deirectly from players. Insights towards their thought processes and such. Lots of OHers like this stuff because it gives them more of a connection towards the players.

Now maybe you don't care and that's fine as well, but the last thing I am doing is taking shots at Markakis unfairly. I'm reporting what I saw today and gave my opinion that i would give him a standing ovation. So what? I like Caleb Joseph a lot but I wouldn't give him a standing ovation when he comes up to bat either. does that make me a bad guy towards Caleb as well?

I understand what your saying and can't argue with you. I am guessing that 99.9% of all athletes are full of themselves, yet they are really only playing a kids game. I like Adam Jones, yet I also think he loves being in the media spotlight, which turns me off a little. But as Ray Lewis once wrote on a hotel reservation under occupation - entertainer.

Sounds like to Tony, not talking to the media means "being an obvious dick about it." Difference is Bedard had the productive cred to do it. Not that he should. But that's how the world works.

Really don't care about asking not to pitch the 8th/9th in a meaningless game for a meaningless team.

Tony can speak for himself but bottom line is Markakis is paid a ton, doesn't produce enough, doesn't really have much of a fan presence. So, what does he do, exactly? Oh, he's been here a while. Which is basically the same reason so many people liked Brian Roberts and wanted to sign him as late as this very summer. I don't vote for incumbents just because they're incumbents...

As a fan of the orioles, this really is the bottom line for me more than anything. At the end of the day, Markakis has been a good player for us, but he's been overpaid for years for his production and I don't have any special affinity towards him because I've never seen him have an special affinity towards me as a fan. Forget me as a reporter, but as a fan, I've just never been a huge Markakis guy even though i do respect him a solid player who does play hard between the lines.

Bedard produced for what, two years? Didn't give a damn about pitching deep, went out of his way to ⌂antagonize reporters? Yeah that sounds just like Nick. Give me a break dude.

More or as productive in those two years than Markakis has been in four or five.

Lol at 8th and 9th. Try 6th.

I see lots of 100+ pitches thrown in Bedard's epic 2007. Or else just short of that. Standard fare for a starter.

You are absolutely going out of your way to tell the entire board that Nick didn't talk to you. Who else didn't talk? Let's get them on the list too so we can be sure to never give them a standing O.

Because that's clearly what I'm trying to do! :rolleyes:

I'm going to bed, I'm do with you and this conversation. Thanks for reminding me that some people are not worth my time. I lost 20 minutes of sleep that I won't get back now.

Absolutely false.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=126&position=P

2006: 4.7 WAR

2007: 5.1 WAR

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5930&position=OF

2010: 2.4 WAR

2011: 1.7 WAR

2012: 1.6 WAR

2013: 0.0 WAR

2014: 2.5 WAR

Bedard had 9.8 WAR in those 2 years, while Markakis had 8.2 WAR in 5 years.

So yes, I'd say its very debatable that Bedard was more productive in those 2 years.

As a fan of the orioles, this really is the bottom line for me more than anything. At the end of the day, Markakis has been a good player for us, but he's been overpaid for years for his production and I don't have any special affinity towards him because I've never seen him have an special affinity towards me as a fan. Forget me as a reporter, but as a fan, I've just never been a huge Markakis guy even though i do respect him a solid player who does play hard between the lines.

Can't you be happy for him to make it to the playoffs after missing in 2012? If everyone else is standing I am not going to sit out of spite for him missing some media stuff and accepting a contract that we offered. It's not like he has beat his wife or done steroids. Have some perspective. I can't believe any O's fan would not be on board with this.

Archived