2014 N.L.D.S. (Cardinals vs. Dodgers)

OFFNY

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually root for St. Louis. Respect their franchise a lot. Do it the right way, and on a budget just a little higher than ours. Dodgers, $240 million, F that!

I suppose that I don't have any real reason to hate them other than they are always annoyingly there in a dull sort of way. At least the Dodgers are amusingly dysfunctional.

I suppose that I don't have any real reason to hate them other than they are always annoyingly there in a dull sort of way. At least the Dodgers are amusingly dysfunctional.

Saw someone here I think call them the Spurs of baseball. Sounds about right to me.

Saturday night was about heroes and ghosts and everything in between. The marathon at Nationals Park included mastery and meltdowns, players warming their hands by a heater in the dugout and little-known relievers pitching their guts out. The Washington Nationals and the San Francisco Giants engaged in the kind of game that makes you love baseball and curse its existence and pace around the living room and ask the person next to you, what inning is it, again? They played the kind of game that makes you feel alive until it makes you sick to your stomach.

The longest — and surely most torturous — playoff game in Washington baseball history became the longest game in all of postseason history. It lasted until the last man out of the Nationals’ bullpen, usual starter Tanner Roark, yielded an upper-deck home run to Giants first baseman Brandon Belt in the top of the 18th inning. Nationals Park turned pin-drop quiet as the remainder of the Nationals’ 2-1 loss in Game 2 of the National League Division Series played out, the last gasp of an epic, perhaps the final whimper of a Nationals season suddenly in jeopardy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/playoffs/brandon-belts-homer-gives-giants-a-2-1-18-inning-win-over-nats-in-game-2-of-nlds/2014/10/05/61c320be-4bde-11e4-b72e-d60a9229cc10_story.html

Britt worthy! Well written.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I know from sooooo many spring trainings that what happens during these brief few weeks of ramp-up almost never translate into what happens during the season.  And yet, I find myself relying on what happens to justify opinions on who makes the roster and who gets sent down, opinions on how far a minor leaguer is likely to go in the long run, but also more rational (in my mind) selections of who to watch in the upcoming season, especially in the minor leagues.  I see guys drafted, then they disappear from view in Sarasota or even in the lower levels, and then even when they get to the AA and then AAA level are facing competition that may or may not be challenging them enough.  So seeing them perform in Spring Training, especially when they're set up against Major League opponents, and seeing their stats over time against them, really does inform me a lot, to see what's really there.  Admittedly, I may be relying more on the eye test than stats tho.
    • If Bradish returns healthy, then he jumps up to #2 in the rotation and bumps everyone else down.
    • I think it depends on what time of the year we are talking. If It's by mid-season summer, then I think McDermott (or one of the other AAA pitching prospects) gets a call. If it's before then, I think Teheran is the #6 starting option at least until Means returns to the rotation. Although, that could very well just as easily be Suarez as much as Teheran. But I think Suarez might be looked at more for the bullpen. Until June when some of the prospects might be ready at the earliest (and prior to expecting Bradish to return), I see the starting the starting rotation pecking order to look something like this... 1.Burnes 2.Means (IL, expected to return in April)  3. Rodriguez 4. Kremer 5. Wells 6. Irvin 7. Teheran 8. Squarez 9. Zimmerman   Then when we get to June, I think McDermott jumps up above Teheran unless Teheran has been showing himself to have success. Of the minor league starting prospects, I see something along these lines... 1.McDermott 2.Povich 3.Johnson 4. Armbruester 5.Stallings
    • Who say spring training stats mean nothing and then use them in an argument whether it's for or against a certain player?
    • Better guess!   The beard and fun personality threw me off.
    • What does Montgomery get now? 25 per?A 2/50 deal with the same opt out?
  • Popular Contributors