Counting Chickens

gmelson26

Yes, they do--they've done it FOUR TIMES this season, against lesser opponents than a bunch of Cabrera-led Tigers backed into a corner. Buck won't "let" them? What's he going to do--fire the players? El Gordo, it's not like you to say such things. You must be dizzy from the Magick.
Buck's a smart manager, he has his players believing in themselves, and he knows how to use them in situations where they are most likely to produced. That is a big edge over DET. Since May 30 this team has a .638 W%. They have only lost 3 in a row twice in that period. Very unlikely they lose 3 in a row now. Especially if the third game is back at OPACY. The crowd won't let them lose.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Detroit has twice come back from 0-2 deficits to win the A.L.D.S. Don't count your chickens.
When exactly did they do that? They almost did it in 1972, but they lost Game 5.

I remember that.

That was the A.L.C.S., though.

The A.L.D.S. didn't exist back then.

This.

If we lose Sunday we lose the series. Tigers will catch their breath, and sweep us out just like the Pirates did in '79. I can see it as if it's already happened, and it's going to hurt like hell.

That's funny - it's going to hurt like hell. I'm not dis-counting what you say here, it's just funny.

I remember that Pirates series as a new, young fan arriving to the area (from Florida where there was no baseball) who listened for the first time to every single game with delight and optimism on the radio and once in a while saw them on TV and was overnight a passionate, diehard Orioles fan for life. They were rocking the Bucs starters and bullpen and just like that, the Pirates as a whole regained composure, got timely hits and locked down with their starters. It had been so much fun bombing Tekulve and company on our way to a 3-1 lead. I thought it was over. No, I felt like I knew it was over. I think the players felt the same. But we were all so wrong. That was an empty feeling losing that series. I couldn't believe it and was stunned for weeks thereafter.

One thing they had going for them was a veteran presence that righted the ship in Stargell and a few others. Who will the Tigers look to? Cabrera has lost his cool. Ausmus has likely lost the team with his blunders. I'm not saying they can't do it but it should be interesting to see if they even have the resolve.

I'm still very scared. We still have yet to see a quality start from our guys this postseason. Ausmus and the Tigers won't make the same mistakes again. We are very fortunate to be up 2-0. If the Tigers win today, I definitely expect to see Scherzer on short rest with Porcello in the bullpen ready to go for game 4.

I have a friend from KC who is already asking about going to Game 1 of the ALCS. I refuse to even respond.

ALDS

2006 - down 0-1 to NYY, win 3-1

2011 - down 0-1 to NYY, win 3-2

2012 - up 2-0 to OAK, win 3-2

2013 - down 2-1 to OAK, win 3-2

ALCS

2006 - Sweep OAK 4-0

2011 - down 3-1 to TEX, lose 4-2

2012 - Sweep NYY 4-0

2013 - Tied 2-2 with BOS, lose 4-2

Notes

This would be the first time DET loses in the ALDS IF the Orioles hang on.

Never lost 3 straight.

Won 3 straight only once - 2006 ALDS.

ALDS

2006 - down 0-1 to NYY, win 3-1

2011 - down 0-1 to NYY, win 3-2

2012 - up 2-0 to OAK, win 3-2

2013 - down 2-1 to OAK, win 3-2

ALCS

2006 - Sweep OAK 4-0

2011 - down 3-1 to TEX, lose 4-2

2012 - Sweep NYY 4-0

2013 - Tied 2-2 with BOS, lose 4-2

Note, in no series, ALDS or ALCS, has Detroit lost 3 straight.

Well, they were swept by SF in the 2012 WS (4-0). Some of those players and coaches remain from that for what it's worth.

Also, has anybody seen Price's postseason record? Not exactly otherworldly for an "ace" pitcher. Even great ones can look mortal in October, and average guys become immortals.

Don Larsen 81-91 and a perfect game. Yeah Price is good and I respect him but I refuse to be afraid of him too.

Price's recent history against the O's is that he has problems lasting longer than five innings. It makes one wonder who Ausmus is planning to bring in for middle relief. I assume Delmon will be in the lineup (altho I haven't checked his stats vs. Price) and that's something else for the T's to worry about.

Buck's a smart manager, he has his players believing in themselves, and he knows how to use them in situations where they are most likely to produced. That is a big edge over DET. Since May 30 this team has a .638 W%. They have only lost 3 in a row twice in that period. Very unlikely they lose 3 in a row now. Especially if the third game is back at OPACY. The crowd won't let them lose.

I'd feel better about this if your instincts hadn't been wrong so many times this season (usually, predicting doom and gloom).

Archived