beervendor

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(3 AND-A-HALF YEARS LATER)

Redemption, Part II:

In spite of the fact that he spent a boatload of money on Chris Davis' 7-year contract 2 years earlier, Peter opened up his wallet and acquired BOTH Andrew Cashner AND Alex Cobb to give some help to Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman in the Orioles' starting rotation this season.

o

I'm glad that the Orioles signed these two.  I'm now hopeful (and cautiously excited) about the 2018 season. 

But "redemption" for ownership's decades of arrogance, stupidity, pigheadedness, opacity and cowardice, with limited on-field success after years of epic futility? I'm not buying that. 

On 3/20/2018 at 6:41 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(3 AND-A-HALF YEARS LATER)

Redemption, Part II:

In spite of the fact that he spent a boatload of money on Chris Davis' 7-year contract 2 years earlier, Peter opened up his wallet and acquired BOTH Andrew Cashner AND Alex Cobb to give some help to Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman in the Orioles' starting rotation this season.

o

On 3/21/2018 at 10:50 AM, spiritof66 said:

I'm glad that the Orioles signed these two. I'm now hopeful (and cautiously excited) about the 2018 season. 

But "redemption" for ownership's decades of arrogance, stupidity, pigheadedness, opacity, and cowardice, with limited on-field success after years of epic futility? I'm not buying that. 

o

I buy it.

I saw a change in direction in the franchise (and Angelos' attitude about giving his GM a certain amount of autonomy) when Andy MacPhail was hired in 2007, of which we eventually saw the fruits of in the W-L columns beginning in 2012.

Nothing can change the losing seasons (and multiple bad decisions) which the Orioles sustained under Angelos' watch from the late 90's until MacPhail's hiring in 2007 (plus another 4 years of losing seasons between 2008 and 2011 just prior to Dan Duquette coming on board), but the ship has certainly made a major turn since then, which I view as a form of redemption. 

I found this article (from August of 2013) to be informative and relatively even-handed.

The Complicated Peter Angelos

(By Bruce Schoenfeld)

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/08/26/Franchises/Peter-Angelos.aspx

o

o

Archived