Peter Angelos' Redemption

beervendor

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He gave away 1400 playoff tickets to disadvantaged youth. I doubt there are too many owners who would do that with guranteed sell outs. I think we get caught up grading owners on wins and loses when that isn't really what makes you a good owner.

Only the most myopic Anti-Angelos sycophant denied his commitment to the city and its people. There are many schools, museums, youth programs, etc. that owe their existence to the generosity of the Angelos family. That is just a fact. The fact that he gave pretty damn good seats to those kids is another huge thing.

He could have put them in the upper deck and no one would have questioned it, nope - those kids were right in the heart of the action. Hell Nelson Cruz' homer landed right in the middle of them.

Just a real good look for Angelos and the Orioles as an org. He created some lifelong fans that night.

Angelos has been conspicuously absent during the recent celebrations. In particular I kept expecting to see him pop up during the division title celebration as I can remember him giving a brief speech after the WC game in 2012.

I don't recall even seeing a single camera shot of him in his box or anything recently.

Hopefully he's well enough to appreciate what's going on. If nothing else it should demonstrate two things - we can win when he puts the right people in charge, and when we do win, we have the best crowds in MLB. After Friday, there can be no disputing that.

Angelos has been conspicuously absent during the recent celebrations. In particular I kept expecting to see him pop up during the division title celebration as I can remember him giving a brief speech after the WC game in 2012.

I don't recall even seeing a single camera shot of him in his box or anything recently.

Hopefully he's well enough to appreciate what's going on. If nothing else it should demonstrate two things - we can win when he puts the right people in charge, and when we do win, we have the best crowds in MLB. After Friday, there can be no disputing that.

Exactly. I hope he can enjoy some of this.

NO! NO! NO! 14 years of his meddling while driving this franchise into the ground. Pat Gillick, Davey Johnson, Mike Mussina, Frank Wren, Jon Miller, all driven away by this difficult-to-deal-with man. And what does he give us? Years and years of Syd Thrift, one of the worst minor leagues in all of baseball, squashed deadline deals that could really help us (Burnett/Lowell in 2005), medical screenings that turn the Orioles into a complete joke. All of this during the adult prime of my life. Now that I am approaching 50 and Angelos is too old to meddle I am supposed to forgive him? Never!

Abe Pollin was also a charitable human being while being one of the worst sports franchise owners on Earth.

NO! NO! NO! 14 years of his meddling while driving this franchise into the ground. Pat Gillick, Davey Johnson, Mike Mussina, Frank Wren, Jon Miller, all driven away by this difficult-to-deal-with man. And what does he give us? Years and years of Syd Thrift, one of the worst minor leagues in all of baseball, squashed deadline deals that could really help us (Burnett/Lowell in 2005), medical screenings that turn the Orioles into a complete joke. All of this during the adult prime of my life. Now that I am approaching 50 and Angelos is too old to meddle I am supposed to forgive him? Never!

Abe Pollin was also a charitable human being while being one of the worst sports franchise owners on Earth.

There are plenty of other things in this country and the world to be angry about other than an owner of an entertainment, baseball.

The Orioles sustained 14 consecutive losing seasons, but I would argue that it wasn't 14 years worth of meddling and mismanaging the franchise by Angelos.

I would say that when Angelos hired Andy MacPhail in June of 2007, it was a turning point for the beginning of a rebirth of returning the Orioles back into contenders again, after having been doormats for numerous years. From what I have heard, MacPhail (like Duquette) was given a "free hand" when he was hired, and both of them did/have done an excellent job in gradually reconstructing the Orioles into the young, talented team that they have been for the past few years.

So, I would say that Angelos' reign of being a "bad" owner was from 2000 (when he fired Wren) through 2007 (when he hired MacPhail.)

He gave away 1400 playoff tickets to disadvantaged youth. I doubt there are too many owners who would do that with guranteed sell outs. I think we get caught up grading owners on wins and loses when that isn't really what makes you a good owner.

All playoff revenue goes to MLB, they control the tickets, the ballpark and keep the revenue generated by it. It's then shared by each club. Regardless, it's a great thing for the Orioles and MLB to do.

We have two options here.

We can stand on our soapbox and continue to berate PAG and what a bad man he is, and hate him for all of his mistakes.

or

We can take the high road, and be the mature adult, and understand that he isn't the same man. He has hired baseball people and allowed them to run the club. And be very grateful that he isn't the same and that they have 3 winning seasons under their belt, and 2 playoff trips, and maybe even a WS trip this year. The glass if half full and post season baseball in October is fantastic!

Archived