Peter Angelos' Redemption

beervendor

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that the bad handling/ownership of the team started more around 2000, when Frank Wren was fired.

No, Angelos hired Gillick after 1995 season and then overruled him on some deadline trades in 1996. Angelos was right on that call, but that isn't the point. Then Angelos got into a tiff with Davey after the 1997 season causing our AL Manager of the Year to quit. Gillick, taking the high road, let his contract expire after 1998 having no desire to return. Wren was 1999. So, lets see. He bought the team in 1993 and started meddling just three years into his ownership.

Buck left in 96, because he wouldnt fire his coaches. George was willing to bring Buck, but wanted to clean house and bring in new guys.

So not sure, I agree with your statement about being less meddlesome.

You are correct on that point, as Steinbreener was still somewhat meddlesome, but believe it or not, he was still considerably less so than he had been from 1977 (the entire Bronx Zoo era) through the time he was given the boot by Fay Vincent in 1990.

The strange thing is that the organization that Gabe Paul had built from 1973-1977 was so strong that (in hindsight) I believe that they continued to win pennants (3) and World Series (2) over the next 5 years in spite of the "Bronx Zoo" atmosphere that Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson, etc. had created.

After that (1982-1988), the team took a step back from greatness to pretty goodness, and then finally into badness (1989-1992.)

The Yankees immediately won the World Series in 1996, one year after Buck was fired, so that was good enough, even for the seemingly malcontent Steinbrenner. After 4 more pennants and 3 more World Series titles from 1998-2001, Steinbrenner was in his 70's ...... and at that point, he was not only obviously satisfied with the results that the Yankees had been having on the field, but he was also pretty old, and frankly less capable of being the ogre that he had been in his younger days.

How ironic is the fact that back in 1993-1995 most Orioles fans probably booed Buck Showalter out of habit simply because he was wearing the hated pinstripes, not knowing what would unfold nearly 20 years later.

That being said, I hope I never see @$%@$ Joe Girardi in an Orioles uniform.

Heh yep. I remember though this book at the library when I was in 6th grade or so. It was a neat book. Had stories about everyone in baseball from managers like Buck down to a beer vendor at OPACY. Anyhow, I just remember reading about Buck and the story talked a lot about how Buck's father who was a high school principal/baseball coach having a big impact on him. And I just remember thinking that Buck seemed like a good guy and that it was a shame that he had been the manager of the hated Yankees. I wish I could remember the book title. It also had stories in it about Durwood Merrill, Frank Thomas, and some career minor leaguer whose name escapes me. But I'm with you. I hope to never see Girardi manage for us. I don't like that guy. I respected Torre as an adversary but Girardi is a whiny jerk who turned us down claiming that it was his family and then went running as soon as the Yankees let Torre go.Buck is the better manager anyhow so we won.

Heh yep. I remember though this book at the library when I was in 6th grade or so. It was a neat book. Had stories about everyone in baseball from managers like Buck down to a beer vendor at OPACY. Anyhow, I just remember reading about Buck and the story talked a lot about how Buck's father who was a high school principal/baseball coach having a big impact on him. And I just remember thinking that Buck seemed like a good guy and that it was a shame that he had been the manager of the hated Yankees. I wish I could remember the book title. It also had stories in it about Durwood Merrill, Frank Thomas, and some career minor leaguer whose name escapes me. But I'm with you. I hope to never see Girardi manage for us. I don't like that guy. I respected Torre as an adversary but Girardi is a whiny jerk who turned us down claiming that it was his family and then went running as soon as the Yankees let Torre go.Buck is the better manager anyhow so we won.

Jeter has a lot of nice things to say about Buck in his book.

I enjoyed those '93-94 teams, which Angelos essentially inherited. His first big mistake was firing Johnny Oates and replacing him with Phil Regan for the '95 season.

For the life of me, I still don't get the Phil Regan hire.

I'm assuming Angelos wanted an upgrade from Oates but wasn't able to get who he wanted, but by that point Johnny had already been sent packing. Why he kicked a perfectly serviceable manager to the curb for a mediocre place holder, I don't know.

For the life of me, I still don't get the Phil Regan hire.

I'm assuming Angelos wanted an upgrade from Oates but wasn't able to get who he wanted, but by that point Johnny had already been sent packing. Why he kicked a perfectly serviceable manager to the curb for a mediocre place holder, I don't know.

That was the tail end of the Roland Hemond regime. I remember Regan 'blew the front office away' in his interview and they hired him over all others including Davey Johnson who expressed interest but was not interviewed. Davey was still manager of the Reds. Regan was a disaster. He changed a lot of stuff including how the Oriole infielders handled cut off plays which irritated Cal. Cal eventually got things changed back to the Ripken/Oriole way. I think they liked Regan because he was pitching coach of Cleveland which had an up and coming staff. It just didn't Work out for him here. Oats should have never been let go. The next year Angelos stepped in and hired Davey before having a replacement for the fired Hemond. This was probably the beginning of Angelos not trusting his baseball people.

He's still a joke.

After he bought the team, he cleaned house in the warehouse. Non-baseball workers I mean; the accountants and secretaries and such that work for the team. The Orioles had a generous pension at the time and he didn't want to be on the hook for it, so over the course of his first few years, everyone who had been working there was let go for one reason or another. All those people who had given the team years of service, at a time when people still expected to spend their career with one company, had to start over somewhere else.

My aunt was one of them. I was like 12 and thought Angelos was a god because he was going to sign star players and make the Orioles win. I remember asking her about him when she was still working there (but evidently saw what was going on and knew what was coming), and her telling me that people weren't going to think he's so great once they find out what he's really all about. Was she ever right!

Remember when Peter wanted the MLB to fold the Pirates and Twins because small market teams couldn't hang? Then a couple years later we were one of them. Baltimore shrank when Peter discovered he could sell affordable tickets to a baseball city while spending just enough money to create just enough hype, and still make just as much money. It was only 14 years of losing from a baseball perspective. It was 14 years of winning for Peter Angelos.

He doesn't care about baseball, or people, or Baltimore. He cares about money. His "change of heart" and "learning the error of his ways" is nothing more than his finally getting too old to be as involved. Mercifully for us all, his sons like baseball.

Archived