The Case for Davis

FanSince88

Here is why I think there is a strong case to include CD on the ALCS roster.

1) IMO there is a very strong possibility that either the Orioles will win the series in < 6 games, OR that the series will come back to Baltimore for Game 6. Why do I think this? Very simple -- it is highly likely that the road-warrior Orioles will win at least one game in KC's pitcher-friendly confines. The pitch-to-contact O's staff will benefit from this just as they did in Detroit for the last game (one of those doubles in the 9th would have been a HR in Camden).

2) Even if he doesn't start, CD will be enormously valuable as a left handed PH off the bench.

3) People forget this but CD can play outfield in addition to 3B. His defensive versatility is underrated. Always good to have in case of a catastrophic injury or extra inning game (and let's not forget about his pitching ability too!).

4) He still draws walks and has patient ABs, which is something that isn't typical of this team (although I was very impressed with their patience against the Tigers).

5) Could provide more protection for Cruz/Pearce/Hardy, and makes their lineup that much more scary for an opposing pitcher, whether you bat him 5th, 6th, or 7th. No more Flash or Hundley in the 7-hole.

6) One reserve infielder can probably be enough for 5 games if you consider that Nick can also play 1B in a pinch, and that if someone goes down with an injury, the Os can replace them for the next game with someone on the 40 man (although the injured player would be barred from being re-inserted for the rest of the postseason).

7) The 25 game suspension might actually be doing him some good. If he does in fact have this ADHD then it makes sense that the 162 game grind may have been wearing him out.

I'll of course defer to Buck and support his decision but this is the case for Davis

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imagine if they put him on the roster and the O's lose in 5. Buck will have gone from media darling to... whatever is the opposite of that! It ain't happening.

But will that extra man really be the reason they lose in 5 games? I doubt that the absence of Paredes, Jimenez, David Lough is going to have that much of an effect.

But will that extra man really be the reason they lose in 5 games? I doubt that the absence of Paredes, Jimenez, David Lough is going to have that much of an effect.

Is the marginal utility of a Paredes, Jimenez, McFarland, or David Lough over the first 5 games really greater than the utility that Davis would provide in the last two? It's possible, but I find it doubtful.

There's not a prayer Buck sets his team up to fail by having a short bench. Did you watch the series against Detroit? Their short (on talent) bench helped us win.

If the Orioles advance to the World Series, we can revisit your argument. I'm not sure CD starts even if he is on the WS roster. Flash has done an excellent job at 3B (defensively) and Steve Pearce is swinging a pretty good bat.

I don't think that the Os can afford to play short handed while waiting for Davis's suspension to end. Remember, though he had some HRs, he was well below the Mendoza line throughout most of the regular season. If Chris had been a powerful presence with his average, then perhaps the Os could afford to play with a 24-man roster for most of the ALCS. But not for a below.200 hitter.

It's possible that Paredes and Jimenez will be removed for Matusz and McFarland. Maybe they keep Jimenez instead of McFarland, the point is that they will go to 12 pitchers against a team (unlike Detroit) with both left and right-handed hitters that matter.

If Davis were ready to come back, it likely would be in place of Kelly Johnson, not Lough. Johnson might never play, but I don't want to give him up as an option for five games. As we've already seen in the NLDS, some games go extra innings.

Here is why I think there is a strong case to include CD on the ALCS roster.

1) IMO there is a very strong possibility that either the Orioles will win the series in < 6 games, OR that the series will come back to Baltimore for Game 6. Why do I think this? Very simple -- it is highly likely that the road-warrior Orioles will win at least one game in KC's pitcher-friendly confines. The pitch-to-contact O's staff will benefit from this just as they did in Detroit for the last game (one of those doubles in the 9th would have been a HR in Camden).

2) Even if he doesn't start, CD will be enormously valuable as a left handed PH off the bench.

3) People forget this but CD can play outfield in addition to 3B. His defensive versatility is underrated. Always good to have in case of a catastrophic injury or extra inning game (and let's not forget about his pitching ability too!).

4) He still draws walks and has patient ABs, which is something that isn't typical of this team (although I was very impressed with their patience against the Tigers).

5) Could provide more protection for Cruz/Pearce/Hardy, and makes their lineup that much more scary for an opposing pitcher, whether you bat him 5th, 6th, or 7th. No more Flash or Hundley in the 7-hole.

6) One reserve infielder can probably be enough for 5 games if you consider that Nick can also play 1B in a pinch, and that if someone goes down with an injury, the Os can replace them for the next game with someone on the 40 man (although the injured player would be barred from being re-inserted for the rest of the postseason).

7) The 25 game suspension might actually be doing him some good. If he does in fact have this ADHD then it makes sense that the 162 game grind may have been wearing him out.

I'll of course defer to Buck and support his decision but this is the case for Davis[/

QUOTE]

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. They have done very well without him. I

believe he is good at first. Average or slightly above at third. I guess he could play

the outfield in a pinch. He is just not needed. The players on the team now

deserve to be there. Chris doesn't. IMO

Thanks for making the case I don't think the O's need their pinch hitter striking out. Sorry if that sounds mean but I firmly believe his suspension was a blessing in disguise. The playoff lineup is better without him being incapable of even advancing runners.

I think CD needs to straighten himself out and come back strong next season. This year was something to get behind him as soon as possible.

Is the marginal utility of a Paredes, Jimenez, McFarland, or David Lough over the first 5 games really greater than the utility that Davis would provide in the last two? It's possible, but I find it doubtful.

It absolutely is.

Davis hasn't played in a month and he wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire this year.

However, the World Series roster is another story...

I don't disagree with OP, but some negatives to consider:

1. Negative attention to the team for implicitly condoning PEDs. Every press conference will be about whether our success is tarnished and such.

2. Additional pressure on Chris, which could affect his performance. He would get booed every time he comes to the plate and will feel like he needs to prove himself without PEDs.

3. If he only hit .195 with the Adderall, imagine how bad he will be without it. Do we want him to be getting used to playing clean in high pressure situations that could determine whether we win or lose the World Series? We might be better off with Kelly Johnson or Paredes.

Here's another question. If we play the way we have been playing' date=' what do you do with Davis in the World Series? Start him at 3B and sit Flaherty? Start him at 1B and put Pearce in the OF? on the bench?[/quote']

He is on the bench and used as pinch hitter or a replacement player in 12-3 rout.

Archived