Cruz Extension Next?

SticksandStones

I wonder how the Davis suspension has changed any of Duq's plans and budget? Even with the poor numbers this year, they may have still considered locking up Davis for 3-4 years at more than $10+ just to get the power numbers and potential for another monster season. I wouldn't be stunned were Davis to be unceremoniously shipped off this winter like Jim Johnson. Free up some salary for other spots on the roster.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nelson Cruz's agents met with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> GM Dan Duquette this week, source says. <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal">@Ken_Rosenthal</a> reported team is pushing for extension.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">October 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wonder how the Davis suspension has changed any of Duq's plans and budget? Even with the poor numbers this year, they may have still considered locking up Davis for 3-4 years at more than $10+ just to get the power numbers and potential for another monster season. I wouldn't be stunned were Davis to be unceremoniously shipped off this winter like Jim Johnson. Free up some salary for other spots on the roster.

This is a really good question and not at all outside the realm of possibility. We could be seeing the intention of DD to sign Cruz, keep Pearce and ditch Davis. We just don't know.

I agree with this 100%. He'd be nuts not to wait, but at the same time, I hope we're both wrong.

You're right but this is the genius behind the timing of this because the players are emotionally attached to the team at this point. In the offseason, they will have far different mindsets and will be entertaining multiple options.

I don't know why this hasn't been attempted before by other teams (or has it?). This is the first I've ever heard of this.

He did it by trading 100 save closers to Billy Beane for Kelly Johnson.

If the checkbook opens up that changes a lot. Duquette looks like a genius for signing Nelson Cruz. But if he'd had an extra $20M he mightn't have signed Cruz at all, instead opting for a more expensive guy who wasn't coming off a 50-game suspension. Someone who was more of a sure thing... like Morales. Or Beltran.

We'll see. Roland Hemond was brilliant at putting together the 1989 Orioles on a shoestring, being forced to make choices like playing 3-4 kid outfielders with little track record and cobbling together a rotation out of duct tape and potted meat. But when OPACY brought in some cash he started trading cheap kids for Glenn Davis. All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for.

If the checkbook opens up that changes a lot. Duquette looks like a genius for signing Nelson Cruz. But if he'd had an extra $20M he mightn't have signed Cruz at all, instead opting for a more expensive guy who wasn't coming off a 50-game suspension. Someone who was more of a sure thing... like Morales. Or Beltran.

All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for.

Or Ubaldo....oh wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived