Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

I think that's a weaker package than Tejada's.

Gallagher ~ Patton

Murton ~ Scott

Patteron or Cedeno < Albers and Sarfate and Costanzo

Roberts will cost $15MM less than Tejada over the next 2 years and should be a more valuable player.

Then trade Roberts to Houston.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think thats a comparable package to the Astros deal, although the Astros is slightly better.

However, the comparison isn't exactly valid. Just because the Astros overpaid horribly for Tejada doesn't mean that other teams should have to do so for Roberts.

MacPhail absolutely destroyed the Astros in that deal, he got a great return. Miggy's value wasn't nearly what many of us, including myself, hoped it was, and he was still about to get a great deal. I think we'll get a good return on Roberts, but it needn't beat the Miggy deal to be worth making, although it could. What national writer said we'd get more for Roberts than the Twins would for Santana a couple days ago?

I think it's premature to speculate about Tejada's value. Of course you could be one of those supporters of the "You measure a trade by the players in the deal at the time" as opposed to where I come down which is "You measure a trade 2-3 years later and determine if what you envisioned happening, did indeed happen". In that regard, Tejada just breaking the Carribean HR record for the Championsip series 13 in 11 games I believe, (against mostly inferior pitching mind you), could be a precurser to a 30 HR 130 RBI season. Obviously I wouldn't measure the deal only by what happens next season, but if he produces at or near that level for the remander of his contract, IMO, It would be hard to conclude the Astros were fleeced in this deal.

I think it's premature to speculate about Tejada's value. Of course you could be one of those supporters of the "You measure a trade by the players in the deal at the time" as opposed to where I come down which is "You measure a trade 2-3 years later and determine if what you envisioned happening, did indeed happen". In that regard, Tejada just breaking the Carribean HR record for the Championsip series 13 in 11 games I believe, (against mostly inferior pitching mind you), could be a precurser to a 30 HR 130 RBI season. Obviously I wouldn't measure the deal only by what happens next season, but if he produces at or near that level for the remander of his contract, IMO, It would be hard to conclude the Astros were fleeced in this deal.
I think you can analyze trades both at the time and down the road.

You want the trades your team makes to be the ones that are clear winners down the road. But, you want the guy ion charge or making your team's trades to be the guy that wins them at the time of the trade. It gives the team a better chance of being the team that wins the trade down the road.

My favorite examples of this are the Bor**** and Ponson trades. We got fleeced trading Mike Bor****, but struck gold with Mora and won the trade. We got an awesome return for 2 months of Ponson, but they all got hurt and we ended up looking like the losers. I'd much rather make more trades like the Ponson trade than ones like the Bor**** trade.

I think you misunderstood what you read...Tejada has hit 13 home runs in 11 Carribean Championship series...not games. He is the all-time home run champ...he didn't hit them all this year.

I think you misunderstood what you read...Tejada has hit 13 home runs in 11 Carribean Championship series...not games. He is the all-time home run champ...he didn't hit them all this year.

Thanks for that clarification, I was wondering what he was drinking down there.. :D

Well, if we can't even get one of those quantity-over-quality packages from the Cubs, then I'm starting to see the logic in holding onto Roberts until the deadline. He's far less likely to turn into a pumpkin than Bedard, and if the trade market isn't operating efficiently now, then it makes sense to wait.

Roberts' trade value should be closer to Teixeira than Tejada.

2B | Eric Patterson | Chicago Cubs | Depth Chart Tidbit

Carrie Muskat, of Cubs.MLB.com, reports Chicago Cubs OF Eric Patterson is one of three candidates to take over in center field if OF Felix Pie can not adjust to the major league level of play.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/85447/89

They said the same thing about Cedeno...

SS | Ronny Cedeno | Chicago Cubs | Depth Chart Tidbit

Carrie Muskat, of Cubs.MLB.com, reports Chicago Cubs OF Ronny Cedeno is one of three candidates to take over in center field if OF Felix Pie can not adjust to the major league level of play.

Archived