On the Issue of Seven Nation Army

nattyboh

While we're on the topic of crowd behavior, a couple of other pet peeves:

i) I think the We Won't stop chants during the ALDS were truly incredible. They started up after we had taken leads in both games and when we were getting into Detroit's head about how they just can't keep us down. In games 1 and 2 of the ALCS I feel it has been completely overused - being used when we are trailing or in a tie game, and bottom line is, we have stopped after chanting this. Maybe it's just me, but I liked it much better as a "rub it in" type chant, not as a motivational chant.

ii) Standing up for two strikes. Considering the number of two strikes hits given up in Games 1 and 2, it genuinely feels like it's bad luck to stand up and clap with two strikes. Again, maybe I'm insane and superstitious, but I wish we'd stop this other than for the last out of a game...

Also, a question that some on here may have some insight into: Does loud crowd noise and waving towels help or hurt a) our pitchers and b) our hitters. I'd imagine in some instances it can be a distraction and make it tough to focus.

Towards the end of game 2 on Saturday the crowd actually stopped standing for EVERY two strike count, because it seemed like it was actually hurting our pitchers..

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the pitcher is ahead, I think its ok to stand up with 2 strike count. full count or 2-2? Meh.

One of my favorite moments was game 1 inning 1 of ALDS where Cabrera K'd. The fans were on their feet and being loud with 2 strikes.

I dunno. How superstitious are we?

I was at Game 2 and saw a fan from the LF Lower Box seats trying to start the wave in the 7th inning. It is playoff game for crying out loud and tied at that. I am not a big fan of the wave in general but if it is a blowout game in May go ahead.

I was at Game 2 and saw a fan from the LF Lower Box seats trying to start the wave in the 7th inning. It is playoff game for crying out loud and tied at that. I am not a big fan of the wave in general but if it is a blowout game in May go ahead.

Yeah, but he didn't get very far with it, did he? ;)

BTW, I felt the same way. You kidding me..the wave??? :bangwall:

I don't know why it continues to amaze me what people complain about. The Seven Nation Army chant? At least it works for the Orioles because of the "Os" nickname. Rally towels? If you don't think that looks awesome either on tv or in person, I question whether you have a soul.

Why not complain about "charge" or "Take Me Out To The Ballgame"...talk about old and played out (sarcasm).

If you don't want to chant or wave your rally towel, then don't do it. Sit there with a chip in your shoulder and a sour look on your face.

I don't know why it continues to amaze me what people complain about. The Seven Nation Army chant? At least it works for the Orioles because of the "Os" nickname. Rally towels? If you don't think that looks awesome either on tv or in person, I question whether you have a soul.

Why not complain about "charge" or "Take Me Out To The Ballgame"... talk about old and played out (sarcasm.)

If you don't want to chant or wave your rally towel, then don't do it. Sit there with a chip in your shoulder and a sour look on your face.

SIDE NOTE: That is where the Chargers football got their name.

The original owners of the the team (the Los Angeles Chargers), Barron Hilton, was a big Dogders fan when they were still playing in the L.A. Coliseum, before Dodger Stadium was built. Whenever the Dodgers got a rally going, the loudspeaker would do the "Charge" rallying cry. Hilton liked that a lot, and so he tagged his new team "The Chargers."

Don't misunderstand where I am coming from.

I don't think Seven Nation Army should be our de-facto chant when good things happen. I can see rival fans taunting us with this in the future. I am a supporter of letting the fans think of funny chants on their own and having the fans support the best ones. Spontaneous chants are the best chants.

Seven Nation Army is done too much and is not exciting. It's too predictable and makes us look weak and not very fun to root for.

But the rally towels are Terrible towels that lost their manners. It looks cool, but its a gimmick. Copy/Paste from Pittsburgh. Not a fan.

Don't misunderstand where I am coming from.

I don't think Seven Nation Army should be our de-facto chant when good things happen. I can see rival fans taunting us with this in the future. I am a supporter of letting the fans think of funny chants on their own and having the fans support the best ones. Spontaneous chants are the best chants.

Seven Nation Army is done too much and is not exciting. It's too predictable and makes us look weak and not very fun to root for.

But the rally towels are Terrible towels that lost their manners. It looks cool, but its a gimmick. Copy/Paste from Pittsburgh. Not a fan.

I got news for ya...everything had to start somewhere, and thus was stolen from somebody.

I guess we can lay claim to the National Anthem!

Yeah, but he didn't get very far with it, did he? ;)

BTW, I felt the same way. You kidding me..the wave??? :bangwall:

I was up underneath in the terrace seats in LF. I could see him pretty well, I couldn't believe it. Had he been standing watching the field and trying to get the whole crowd to stand go ahead. My wife looked at me and just smiled she knew what my reaction would be.

Archived