If We Lose Four Straight?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a bit deceptive. The rotation has been remarkably healthy. We have only had 7 starters all year--one of them was McFarland for a game. Almost no one has lost as few starts from their starters as the Orioles have.

Considering that no one on the face of the planet figured our starting pitching was going to be a strength, I don't feel its deceptive to say that we've had to win a ton of games with the likes of Pearce, Flaherty, Schoop and Joseph, and on and on. How many games does this team win with Machado and Wieters all year? More than 96 most likely.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Good topic.

I, like most I believe, will look at 2014 as a SUPERB year....96 wins, AL East champs and swept Detroit (and I got to see the first two at Camden).

I actually look at any season where we're competitive - 90 wins and a solid finish (it doesn't have to be first place) - as successful....So the O's in 1961, 1968, 1975, 1982, 1989, etc., had successful seasons even without finishing first...

I see the occasionally old-timer loyal fan here commenting about the "bitter", "disappointing" 1969 (109 wins!) and/or 1971 (101 wins) and 1979 AL pennant winning teams...Man, making it to the World Series is awesome....Maybe I would feel differently if I had experienced these World Series losses while it happened but I was only a toddler then (two years old in 1969)...

How will we look back on it? IMO, as a success and a missed opportunity. Because, on paper, the Royals aren't that good. Maybe it'd be more prevalent outside of Baltimore, but I think people would eventually forget (or at least remember less clearly) that the Royals fielded an extremely tenacious team this season. Unless they go on to win the WS or something (though I really don't like their odds against one of the NL's vastly more experienced postseason teams).

I look at this way.

We have the best built-in excuse ever for getting bounced in the 2nd round of the playoffs: we were missing 3 All Stars.

The end.

Season is an epic success.

Eh...poor excuse. The O's that reached the postseason in 2014 were not O's that relied on those all-stars to get there.

How will we look back on it? IMO, as a success and a missed opportunity. Because, on paper, the Royals aren't that good. Maybe it'd be more prevalent outside of Baltimore, but I think people would eventually forget (or at least remember less clearly) that the Royals fielded an extremely tenacious team this season. Unless they go on to win the WS or something (though I really don't like their odds against one of the NL's vastly more experienced postseason teams).

There are 29 losers every year. The Post Season is a crap shot. You know that.

Good topic.

I, like most I believe, will look at 2014 as a SUPERB year....96 wins, AL East champs and swept Detroit (and I got to see the first two at Camden).

I actually look at any season where we're competitive - 90 wins and a solid finish (it doesn't have to be first place) - as successful....So the O's in 1961, 1968, 1975, 1982, 1989, etc., had successful seasons even without finishing first...

I see the occasionally old-timer loyal fan here commenting about the "bitter", "disappointing" 1969 (109 wins!) and/or 1971 (101 wins) and 1979 AL pennant winning teams...Man, making it to the World Series is awesome....Maybe I would feel differently if I had experienced these World Series losses while it happened but I was only a toddler then (two years old in 1969)...

I was 13 when the Os lost in 1969 and few things prepare you for that kind of pain at 13. Lol. Plus the Colts had lost to the NY Jets that January which was also devastating and the Baltimore Bullets had lost in the NBA finals to NY Knicks.

1969 was a special pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we lost the next two to the Royals' date=' how will look back on this season? A success? A failure? Joy? Depression?[/quote']

No matter how it happens, if they lose I will look at 2014 as "what might have been?"

Put a healthy Bundy, Wieters, and Manny on this team and who knows how things would have turned out.

I was 13 when the Os lost in 1969 and few things prepare you for that kind of pain at 13. Lol. Plus the Colts had lost to the NY Jets that January which was also devastating and the Baltimore Bullets had lost in the NBA finals to NY Knicks.

1969 was a special pain.

k

Travis Ishikawa just hit a three run triple. I was nine in 1969. Lackey is cursing Grichuk.

No matter how it happens, if they lose I will look at 2014 as "what might have been?"

Put a healthy Bundy, Wieters, and Manny on this team and who knows how things would have turned out.

If we win, it will be because of good fortune.

Much more sweetness than bitterness.

What bothers me is the prospect that the Royals will continue to hit (and play) way over their heads in this series, then collapse in the WS. But even that would put only a smidgen of tarnish on a dazzlingly bright season.

I don't see that at all. In fact if they sweep us they might just sweep the WS !

There are 29 losers every year. The Post Season is a crap shot. You know that.

Of course. But, speaking from that as-yet-unknown future in which we're assuming an Os loss to the Royals, the Tigers series could have been a springboard. And, on paper, the Royals did the O's a favor by knocking out the "best" team in the AL. Accordingly, the path to the WS should have been relatively clear. Moreover, the "scariest" teams in the NL (IMO, the Dodgers and Nationals) exited early, which should have made the O's more competitive for a WS title.

I'm not saying I agree wholeheartedly, but I'd expect a modicum of disappointment to tinge the success that should undoubtedly be attributed to the 2014 season.

It doesn't matter. You can only go so far minus those three important players. It's apparent our roster is stretched thin. Buck did an amazing job getting us there, but the playoffs are a different beast.

Every team deals with injuries, etc. If the O's hadn't lost Machado and Davis (the latter of whom was a shadow of his former self, anyway), would we have gotten the chance to see Steve "the Terminator" Pearce put together a huge season? What if Wieters' hot start was just that and he returned to producing as he typically does? (and FTR, Wieters' fWAR went from 4.6, to 3.9, to 2.5 last year. Given that the O's got a little over 1.0 fWAR from Hundley and Joseph, I'd argue that the dropoff probably wasn't as dramatic as "losing an all-star" would otherwise indicate)

TL;DR, as weams said, reaching the playoffs and progressing is a crap shoot. There's really no guarantee that a fully healthy Orioles roster (which was always unlikely, anyway) would really have performed that much better, or had a better postseason "seed," than the current team.

Archived