Interesting Stat on Adam Jones...

JDBirds10

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guess no one actually read the article. Shocker.

Sigh

"Looking back at his tenure with the Marlins, the one player that stands out for evidence of why he is a detriment for a team is Cameron Maybin.

Maybin was acquired in the trade that sent Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers, and at that time he was a 20-year-old dynamic five-tool centerfielder who was coming off a season of a .409 OBP in three levels in Detroit?s system with a 13.2 base on ball percentage (BB%)

So what happened when he got to the majors under Jim Presley? Well, take a look:

So from 2009 to 2010 he decreased in weighted on-base average (wOBA), BB% and increased his frequency of striking out (K%) and swinging at pitches outside of the strike zone (OSwing%).

Only when he got away from Presley and the Marlins by being traded to the Padres, did his wOBA, BB% and K% start to change for the better, and he?s finally showing some promise offensively now at age 27, though not anywhere close to what was projected for him when he was a top prospect."

So the meat of the article is that Cameron Maybin had decent-but-unspectacular K/BB numbers in the minors, and those turned into below-average K/BB numbers in the majors. Completely within the realm of the expected. BUT THAT'S TOTALLY JIM PRESLEY'S FAULT!!!!@#!!

Seriously, if you're quoting JTrea articles, you've lost 95% of us right away. He had a very long history of posting here, and many or maybe even most of his writing was of this form:

1) Form hysterical conclusion

2) Spend weeks and thousands upon thousands of words trying to justify conclusion from #1 with mostly irrelevant, insignificant data

3) Repeat #2 until everyone was totally exasperated with him and he quit the board or got a temporary vacation from the mods

Oh, and 2.5 could have been when challenged with contradictory evidence claim that all opinions are equally valid and no one should ever be criticized for their opinions.

Adam Jones is what he is (hate that saying!). Jim Presley, Terry Crowley, Walt Hriniak, Ted Williams, or any other hitting guru or coach isn't going to change him.

I think he can improve his pitch recognition, but that doesn't change the fact that he will more often than not swing at many pitches that are not strikes.

So the meat of the article is that Cameron Maybin had decent-but-unspectacular K/BB numbers in the minors, and those turned into below-average K/BB numbers in the majors. Completely within the realm of the expected. BUT THAT'S TOTALLY JIM PRESLEY'S FAULT!!!!@#!!

Seriously, if you're quoting JTrea articles, you've lost 95% of us right away. He had a very long history of posting here, and many or maybe even most of his writing was of this form:

1) Form hysterical conclusion

2) Spend weeks and thousands upon thousands of words trying to justify conclusion from #1 with mostly irrelevant, insignificant data

3) Repeat #2 until everyone was totally exasperated with him and he quit the board or got a temporary vacation from the mods

Oh, and 2.5 could have been when challenged with contradictory evidence claim that all opinions are equally valid and no one should ever be criticized for their opinions.

No I thought the meat of the article for me was the fact that Presley coached teams are bottom of the barrel in OBP and top of the heap in O-swing. This matches perfectly with what we all can see happening on this team and it's not just because we have a bunch of the same type of players.

Secondly I don't know who that guy is or his back story. I could care less what he posted in the past. It was just an easy way to present my argument (the stats) without having to compile it all and type it out.

Our approach as a team is not a coincidence or a combination of the same type of players. It's what is being coached.

Only jtrea could say something like this:

"This team is far too aggressive at the plate and it is hurting their ability to get on base and score runs."

When the Orioles have been 4th and 6th in runs scored the last two seasons. Presley "improved" the offense the year he started as they went from 13th in runs scored to 7th.

If you want the offense to do any better, then you get some better players.

No I thought the meat of the article for me was the fact that Presley coached teams are bottom of the barrel in OBP and top of the heap in O-swing. This matches perfectly with what we all can see happening on this team and it's not just because we have a bunch of the same type of players.

Secondly I don't know who that guy is or his back story. I could care less what he posted in the past. It was just an easy way to present my argument (the stats) without having to compile it all and type it out.

Our approach as a team is not a coincidence or a combination of the same type of players. It's what is being coached.

Your belief is nothing more than a subjective opinion without rigourous evidence to support it. You've shown us essentially nothing that points to the conclusion that Presley is teaching players to be overly aggressive.

You may want to consider caring who you quote in support of future arguments. Quoting someone with little-to-no credibility over a very long track record has very little chance of persuading anyone. Remember, something being typed on the internet doesn't necessarily make it so. If readers are very familiar - in a negative way - with your source, the citing of that source is almost certain to damage your argument. It certainly has in this case.

Scoring runs has not been a major problem for the Orioles under Presley's watch. That is a statistical fact. Have they, like all teams, had small stretches during which runs have been hard to come by? Yes, of course, but overall the team scores runs at a well above average rate. Whether or not the team's clear offensive success is directly attributable to Presley may be a question is some people's minds, but it is a certainty that the team's offense has not been weak under Presley.

Your belief is nothing more than a subjective opinion without rigourous evidence to support it. You've shown us essentially nothing that points to the conclusion that Presley is teaching players to be overly aggressive.

On teams with Jim Presley as the hitting coach. OBP goes down, PPA goes down, and O-swing goes up. If that doesn't show it then your right I have nothing to support it. Swing early, swing often, and swing hard!

On teams with Jim Presley as the hitting coach. OBP goes down, PPA goes down, and O-swing goes up. If that doesn't show it then your right I have nothing to support it. Swing early, swing often, and swing hard!

Don't subject yourself. It's not worth it, really. I'd say most see what you see.

Archived