Report: Orioles will decline Markakis' option

Crazysilver03

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was good all year against LH hitters until the last 3 weeks. Some posters have mentioned an injury. O'Day has been great for 3 years. If he's healthy I take the option based on

1. He's a pretty good bet to be good again

2. 4.25M isn't big money

3. We're losing Miller and losing O'Day leaves a big hole in the pen.

All of this. Let's keep O'Day for this next season. The bullpen is likely losing Matusz and Miller so it would be good to keep one of the cogs.

Markakis might be worth every bit of a 2/20 contract in a vacuum. However, as I've said before, he's replaceable at close to minimum salary. You have to pick and choose where to save money and where to invest it. Frankly speaking De Aza looks just as good if not better and he'll be on a one year 5M type contract next year.

You absolutely can't have him as the leadoff hitter next year.

That seems like a bit of a stretch, doesn't it? I know Lough started coming around with the bat and he has the ability to make some nice plays but I think you're selling Markakis short here.

Lough had 1.7 WAR in 1/3 the at bats compared to Markakis having 2.4 WAR. Give Lough same amount of at bats, he's as valuable or more valuable.

Markakis isn't that good, its no tough to replace him.

Lough had 1.7 WAR in 1/3 the at bats compared to Markakis having 2.4 WAR. Give Lough same amount of at bats, he's as valuable or more valuable.

Markakis isn't that good, its no tough to replace him.

No, you can't make that assumption. There's a reason Lough got the ABs, against the pitchers and in the situations, he did. He's not anything close to a lock to increase his production in parallel to his playing time.

No, you can't make that assumption. There's a reason Lough got the ABs, against the pitchers and in the situations, he did. He's not anything close to a lock to increase his production in parallel to his playing time.

I thought the reason he didn't get the ABs is because he got into Bucks doghouse and barely played in the 2nd half even though he played well when he did.

Right but his glove will play for all 162. So while you can't just multiply his WAR by 3 his glove over a whole season should be worth more then the totality of Markakis.

Plus I don't get the idea why you can't play him more at bats. He was an everyday guy for the Royals in the 2nd half of 2013, and actually had a higher OPS against lefties than righties.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=loughda01&year=2013&t=b

He played best and had a 2.7 WAR in 90 something games when he played every day.

If we can sign Cruz I'd be all for trading Davis this offseason for some arms? I'd be happy with Christian Walker at first, Pearce in right, DeAza in left with Lough/Cruz platooning.

I don't think we'd be able to get much more for Davis than what we got for Jim Johnson last year. He's going for arbitration so if we're trying to trade him, that'll tell teams we're just trying to get something for him instead of tendering him, plus 12 million for a .190 1B won't appeal to many teams.

If we can sign Cruz I'd be all for trading Davis this offseason for some arms? I'd be happy with Christian Walker at first, Pearce in right, DeAza in left with Lough/Cruz platooning.

The only arms we can get are basically what we traded away to get De Aza. Davis has little trade Value.

Archived