Will Markakis sign with the O's before the FA signing begin? (Option Declined)

wildcard

Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?

• Yes, Nick will resign with the O's before he is eligible to sigin with other clubs.
    • No, will not resign with the O's at all
    • No, Nick will not resign with the O's before he can sign with other clubs

I'm pretty much hoping he makes it to FA and there is a bidding war that prices him out of our range. Good guy and I enjoyed his time here, but like you said he's one player we can replace at a fraction of the cost and then we can use that money more effectively.

If the Orioles do not sign Nick now, I do not think they will sign him later. The roster is being constructed. This is Nick's window. All aboard. Like I said, I believe a deal is in place and will be announced after the World Series. Roch is too positive on this one.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't touch that contract. I think I'm against signing Markakis, period. For sure, I'd be very unhappy with a 3/30 or 4/40 contract. This is one position where we can save money and, I believe, replace it with the cheaper Lough and/or Pearce.

I think I agree with you, and I think Duke would agree with you, but Nick is the kind of player that Buck and Peter might trump their GM and bring back the lifelong Oriole.

It didn't work for BRob or Mora, let's hope it turns out differently for Nick.

And if he does, they can find someone who fills that slot. As long as Davis, Machado and Wieters all are where they should be. I think that you will not see Buck commit to a full time DH until we see where Matt is.

Wieters I'm not overtly worried about offensively because you don't need much offensive production from the catcher position. But the corner outfielder spots you do. And if they are bringing Nick back and having him be a full time starter again next year, you know you aren't getting much offensive production from him. He is what he is. So we are really going to need Pearce to have another year where he more than makes up for it. I'm not sure the Orioles are going to be able to find someone that can produce at a high enough level to give our corner outfield spots an overall good level of production.

Wieters I'm not overtly worried about offensively because you don't need much offensive production from the catcher position. But the corner outfielder spots you do. And if they are bringing Nick back and having him be a full time starter again next year' date=' you know you aren't getting much offensive production from him. He is what he is. So we are really going to need Pearce to have another year where he more than makes up for it. I'm not sure the Orioles are going to be able to find someone that can produce at a high enough level to give our corner outfield spots an overall good level of production.[/quote']

I agree the free agent market for Outfielders is just awful.

Nelson Cruz but really a D.H

Melky Cabrera

Alex Rios

Rest of the players just not good

I rather the Orioles sign Colby Rasmus to play LF a lot cheaper then Nick and will get the same value.

Wieters I'm not overtly worried about offensively because you don't need much offensive production from the catcher position. But the corner outfielder spots you do. And if they are bringing Nick back and having him be a full time starter again next year' date=' you know you aren't getting much offensive production from him. He is what he is. So we are really going to need Pearce to have another year where he more than makes up for it. I'm not sure the Orioles are going to be able to find someone that can produce at a high enough level to give our corner outfield spots an overall good level of production.[/quote']

Hmmm...we made the ALCS with a .210 hitting catcher, a .220 hitting second baseman, a .220 hitting third baseman, and Pearce starting every day around the diamond.

I'm pretty sure the re-additions of Manny, Wieters, and Davis could hide any reduced production from Pearce, especially putting Flaherty and Joseph in backup roles where they belong.

Hmmm...we made the ALCS with a .210 hitting catcher, a .220 hitting second baseman, a .220 hitting third baseman, and Pearce starting every day around the diamond.

I'm pretty sure the re-additions of Manny, Wieters, and Davis could hide any reduced production from Pearce, especially putting Flaherty and Joseph in backup roles where they belong.

Let's hope Davis learns to hit the other way in 2015. If he's even a Oriole in 2015.

Melky Cabrera

Alex Rios

I rather the Orioles sign Colby Rasmus to play LF a lot cheaper then Nick and will get the same value.

Except that Nick is a team leader and a good guy, and Rasmus has a reputation as a jackass. Rasmus also has been a pretty inconsistent player. He might do better than Nick, but there's a lot more volatility in the likely range of outcomes.

Pearce was a 6 WAR player. Him starting everywhere around the diamond was one of the main reasons WHY we made the ALCS, not an obstacle to it.

You have to get offensive production out of your corner outfield spots. If you take the days Cruz played LF, Pearce, and Young, our offensive production from the corner spots was probably very good because the other guys combined made up for Nick's low 7 something OPS. My concern is they go with Nick again and Pearce regresses. Then you're getting no offensive production from the corners, and you are REALLY going to need the other positions to step it up.

I'm not advocating Colby Rasmus. However, I'll take issue with the team leader. Sure, Nick is A team leader. So is Hardy. So is Jones. So is Wieters. So was Cruz. What exactly does it mean except that he's a steady player who sets a good example and goes out and does his job. Nelson Cruz was here for one season and seemed like a guy that Machado and Schoop bonded with and who all of the other players accepted as well. It's anyone's guess what kind of leadership Nick provides but is it really the leading kind?

You forget the "he's a good guy" part.

Melky Cabrera

Alex Rios

I'd rather they go with some kind of platoon involving De Aza and a cheap player, take the money and invest it to try to make up for the production some place else. But I worry Nick's contract is going to hurt their ability to do that.

Except that Nick is a team leader and a good guy, and Rasmus has a reputation as a jackass. Rasmus also has been a pretty inconsistent player. He might do better than Nick, but there's a lot more volatility in the likely range of outcomes.

But are you ever going to at least not get the value of the contract with Rasmus? Seems like with Rasmus you're going to get your money's worth, with an outside chance he gives you a ton of value some years. Nick it seems like you are just hoping he performs to the level of the contract. That's the best case scenario. You pay him to hover around 2 WAR and hope he plays at a level that hovers around 2 WAR.

I'd rather they go with some kind of platoon involving De Aza and a cheap player' date='[/b'] take the money and invest it to try to make up for the production some place else. But I worry Nick's contract is going to hurt their ability to do that.

Gonna have to happen by trade that free agent class is awful.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

Archived