Is Andrew Miller a must sign. I believe so. He can get both righties and lefties out and has filthy

BamaOsFan

I don't agree with everyone who has already conceded on this. This offseason will be telling. If the Orioles are serious about going back to ALCS and getting it right this time, they need to be aggressive.

I think we will be aggressive this offseason. That was not a traditional 4-0 sweep by any stretch and I expect Buck, DD and ownership can all "taste it". We are close. What I don't know yet is whether going all out on Miller is the best way to channel that aggressiveness vs. other opportunities (including position players and starting rotation) that may present themselves via free agency or trade. I think DD will once again earn his salary (just like he did in snagging Miller to begin with) though.:thumbsup1:

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we will be aggressive this offseason. That was not a traditional 4-0 sweep by any stretch and I expect Buck, DD and ownership can all "taste it". We are close. What I don't know yet is whether going all out on Miller is the best way to channel that aggressiveness vs. other opportunities (including position players and starting rotation) that may present themselves via free agency or trade. I think DD will once again earn his salary (just like he did in snagging Miller to begin with) though.:thumbsup1:

I have a feeling that Duquette aggressive is a lot different than the Yanks/Dodgers type aggressive you might be thinking of.

Seems like you have intimate knowledge of their spending plans next season. Did you also know that they would go out and sign Cruz and Jimenez last year? Just curious.

You have to remember where we are posting. Its a opinion board. Not information from your doctor that better be more than just opinion.

I like Miller, and I think it's likely he'll be good for a while. He has good stuff.

But, somebody is going to make him a really good offer. Probably in the $10-15 million range. And I just don't feel that the value he brings is worth that. You could bring in a position player who will be more of an impact. If he gives us a discount at say $7-10 million a year, I'd entertain it. But not for anything more.

Miller is a stud and we have Wallace so he will continue to do good work for us. I think it comes down to: Cruz or the trio of Markakis, Miller, De Aza. We are going to increase payroll or see significant retooling. I think we will increase payroll and will keep Markakis, Miller and De Aza; more depth.

DD should know what Miller is worth to this team by now. I'm reading a lot of "don't ever pay big money for fickle relievers". And, I'm reading a lot of "Miller is a stud, pay him closer money". Bottom line is that Miller is an individual, not a category. We've had him for months now and the decision isn't based on historical reliever performance or two months of dominance. It is a decision based on an individual. Personally, I'd pay him closer money, but I trust DD to make that judgment after him and Buck got to know Miller.

I have a feeling that Duquette aggressive is a lot different than the Yanks/Dodgers type aggressive you might be thinking of.

Haha. Believe me. I know all too well. Aggressive in a DD kind of way. Just saying that just b/c we will likely bow out early on Miller won't mean we're necessarily going to just sit on our hands all winter.

I would love Miller back, but I get the "fickle" bullpen argument.

Johnson, Strop, and Matusz all looked like studs at one time in the recent past, and they have gone on to be busts or "meh" guys. Obviously, Miller has been better longer than those guys, but just sayin'.

Johnson, Strop, and Matusz all looked like studs at one time in the recent past, and they have gone on to be busts or "meh" guys. Obviously, Miller has been better longer than those guys, but just sayin'.

Nah they nowhere near looked like miller. We just had a series where miller had more easy innings than the rest of our staff combined. Personally I don't wanna see next year blow up like 2013 did because of a sinkerball closer losing it.

Do we really want next year hinging on Britton being a 45-50 save closer. I don't. Trusted set up guy but not make or break role. Been there done that. See last year.

Nah they nowhere near looked like miller. We just had a series where miller had more easy innings than the rest of our staff combined. Personally I don't wanna see next year blow up like 2013 did because of a sinkerball closer losing it.

Do we really want next year hinging on Britton being a 45-50 save closer. I don't. Trusted set up guy but not make or break role. Been there done that. See last year.

What about Neshek. Or O'Day? Didn't they look like him?

Um, Strop is still very very good. 2.21ERA 2.66FIP 2.82xFIP 10.48K/9. Also, when was Matusz ever a stud? His ERA in 2014 was the lowest it has ever been, 3.48. As far as Miller goes, he's in class far above Matusz,Johnson and even Strop. His 2014, 2.02ERA 1.51FIP 1.58xFIP 14.87K/9, is absolute dominance. Jim Johnson's best season wasn't even close to Miller's 2014. Johnson's 2013 was 2.94ERA 3.45FIP 3.38xFIP and 7.17K/9. There's a significant chance some team blows their load to the tune of 4/48 on him, even if 3/30 to 4/40 is more likely.

You have to remember where we are posting. Its a opinion board. Not information from your doctor that better be more than just opinion.

That was my point. His post wasn't phrased as an opinion and I should've asked for a source. That's precisely why I had to assume he had first-hand knowledge. And I didn't argue that I knew better so you're off the mark there.

Archived