Is Andrew Miller a must sign. I believe so. He can get both righties and lefties out and has filthy

BamaOsFan

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette: "There’s a lot of interest in Andrew Miller..."We like Andrew and we like to have pitchers of that ilk on our ballclub." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">October 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reading between the lines he's gone.

Just about every big spending team (both LA teams, Yanks, Boston, Detroit) could certainly use him. He'll get a big fat contract.

I agree. Andrew will not be returning to us. Let's move on. I think the key is continuing to find power arms now starting pitchers in the minors who can be converted to 7th and 8th inning guys. We have now done this with Zach and with Tommy Hunter and this has been the case with the Wade Davis, Andrew Miller, types. Plus arms that can't make it as starters need to pretty rapidly be moved to bullpen status. I think the model of having closer type pitchers for the 7th, 8th, 9th inning roles will become increasingly attractive to teams (particularly smaller market teams).

I agree. Andrew will not be returning to us. Let's move on. I think the key is continuing to find power arms now starting pitchers in the minors who can be converted to 7th and 8th inning guys. We have now done this with Zach and with Tommy Hunter and this has been the case with the Wade Davis, Andrew Miller, types. Plus arms that can't make it as starters need to pretty rapidly be moved to bullpen status. I think the model of having closer type pitchers for the 7th, 8th, 9th inning roles will become increasingly attractive to teams (particularly smaller market teams).

I think DD will look for another couple Brach-type acquisitions and hope for the best. If not and the team is in contention, there is always the trade deadline. No reason to put 8-10 marbles in one basket on 60 innings from a reliever. He can use that money to help lock up Cruz or Markakis.

I think DD will look for another couple Brach-type acquisitions and hope for the best. If not and the team is in contention, there is always the trade deadline. No reason to put 8-10 marbles in one basket on 60 innings from a reliever. He can use that money to help lock up Cruz or Markakis.

Brad Brach was a huge pickup One of our few strikeout arms.

Hunter's a free agent after next season, and in 2015 will make more than half of what Miller makes (I guess that's technically a fraction, but I think you were talking about a bigger disparity).

I think Hunter will make between 4 and 4.5 million on a one year contract. Miller will sign for between 3 years for 30 million to 4 years and 48 million. My point is there is no reason to release or non-tender Hunter. The commitment is relatively small and he was very good for more than half the year. He could also be traded to a team like Detroit that needs bullpen help. Hunter would have been Detroit's best reliever last year.

Grant Balfour told me a secret awhile back; I probably shouldn't divulge it, but I will anyway-

Relief pitching is VERY fickle, and giving big money to bullpen guys is VERY risky.

Yep. He is buying high right now....looks good but how much do you pay???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, that does sound like he's gone. I think we're starting to get a read on Duquette's odd quotes finally.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Bummer. That really really does sound like he's gone. I wish we'd pursue him harder. I know people say you should never overpay for a reliever, but I think Miller is the exception. He's beyond nasty.

Archived