Is Andrew Miller a must sign. I believe so. He can get both righties and lefties out and has filthy

BamaOsFan

Eventually he will start. But next year he makes sense in the pen, unless they trade Norris.

Right Norris should be the reason the most skilled of the O's starters is stuck in the pen. :rolleyes:

Even with a subpar slider Gausman was still as good as anyone else in the 2014 rotation. It would be extremely foolish to send him to the bullpen.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gausman has to start. We have a chance to develop a true #1 here. He needs to learn a third a pitch and that is not going to happen if he is pitching 3 outs in the 8th inning. I would make him throw sliders every pitch in spring training but he absolutely has to be a starting pitcher. If he fails, then we look at converting him to an elite reliever type. That's what the Sox did with Andrew Miller.

Gausman has to start. We have a chance to develop a true #1 here. He needs to learn a third a pitch and that is not going to happen if he is pitching 3 outs in the 8th inning. I would make him throw sliders every pitch in spring training but he absolutely has to be a starting pitcher. If he fails, then we look at converting him to an elite reliever type. That's what the Sox did with Andrew Miller.

I agree. The man needs to start. He truly seems like he is on an upward progression. A very bright spot of an otherwise depressing ALCS.

It would be truly odd if the O's think Gausman has top-of-the-rotation potential but let him spend several years under team control throwing 70 innings a year as a setup man.

I agree that Gausman has to start...it would give us some trade options with Norris, Gonzalez, (particularly if Bundy looks strong in the first half in the minors). But, of course, health, injuries, performance will all dictate what happens. I am OK going through spring training stretching out all six as potential starters.

Right Norris should be the reason the most skilled of the O's starters is stuck in the pen. :rolleyes:

Even with a subpar slider Gausman was still as good as anyone else in the 2014 rotation. It would be extremely foolish to send him to the bullpen.

Somebody has to go there unless they trade one of them. They are not sending one of the two most expensive SP to the bullpen in order to make room in the rotation for a young SP who isn't likely to be that much better next season, but who could fill Miller's role for a lot less money.

Somebody has to go there unless they trade one of them. They are not sending one of the two most expensive SP to the bullpen in order to make room in the rotation for a young SP who isn't likely to be that much better next season, but who could fill Miller's role for a lot less money.

You have a pitcher. He is significantly younger and less experienced then his fellow rotation mates but still put up comparable numbers. His biggest flaw is the lack of a developed third pitch.

You want to put him into the bullpen where he won't need a third pitch.

This makes no sense.

His likely progression coupled with the likely regression of one or more of the other starters almost assures us of the outcome of him being one of the five best starters next year, and that is without the improvement of his third pitch.

Well run franchises do not let inferior player block superior players.

And why would you expect a 24 year old in his first full season not to improve?

You have a pitcher. He is significantly younger and less experienced then his fellow rotation mates but still put up comparable numbers. His biggest flaw is the lack of a developed third pitch.

You want to put him into the bullpen where he won't need a third pitch.

This makes no sense.

His likely progression coupled with the likely regression of one or more of the other starters almost assures us of the outcome of him being one of the five best starters next year, and that is without the improvement of his third pitch.

Well run franchises do not let inferior player block superior players.

And why would you expect a 24 year old in his first full season not to improve?

I don't think Norris is an inferior SP to Gausman at this point. His upside may be greater but until Gausman develops better FB command and the SL, he is probably not as good. They aren't putting Chen, Ubaldo, or Tillman in the pen. They shouldn't put Gonzo there. But they could start Gausman there, and move him to the rotation when someone goes down. Or they can trade Norris.

I don't think Norris is an inferior SP to Gausman at this point. His upside may be greater but until Gausman develops better FB command and the SL, he is probably not as good. They aren't putting Chen, Ubaldo, or Tillman in the pen. They shouldn't put Gonzo there. But they could start Gausman there, and move him to the rotation when someone goes down. Or they can trade Norris.

Did I say that Norris was currently inferior?

I said that Gausman, despite being substantially younger and less experienced, pitched at a comparable level.

Gausman has paid his dues in the bullpen... its time for him to be in the starting rotation for good now unless he plays his way out of it. If we need to move anyone to the bullpen, move Miggy there. He could be effective.

Gausman is one of our starters, every fifth day, until we no longer control him or he becomes injured or his results are Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta bad.

Archived